Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Defense vs. 2009 Defense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will the 2013 Jets defense be as good as 2009?
Yes
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
No
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 19

SDotNova

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: 2013 Defense vs. 2009 Defense Reply with quote

Long time reader first time thread creator.

Want to get a feel for how good people think this defense can be this year.

The 2013 Jets are shaping up to be a very similar team to the 2009 Jets which sported the number 1 defense and number 1 rushing attack.

When I think back to the 2009 team, I remember a defense that was great in coverage and solid against the run but needed exotic blitz packages to generate pressure on QB.

Stats for 2009 defense:
1st in passing yards per attempt
1st in point per game
4th in rushing yards per attempt
8th in turnovers
18th in sacks

2009 2013
DE Ellis Wilkerson
NT Pouha Garay
DE Douglas Richardson
OLB Thomas Barnes
ILB Scott Davis
ILB Harris Harris
OLB Pace Coples
CB Revis Cromartie
CB Sheppard Milliner
SS Leonhard Landry
FS Rhodes Bush

If you go by units, I think the 2013 team has a stronger DL but the 2009 team has the better DBs. The LB are a wash. This years group will be better at getting to QB but 2009 LBs are better against the run.

I think the 2009 team will fall slight short of the success experienced by 2009 team mostly because of inexperience. But in a year or two, i think the Jets defense will surpass the defenses in the first couple of years of Ryan's tenor mostly because of the current group's versatility and athleticism.

What do you think?
Rich51

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo 2009 had pieces that better fit together. We also had Revis having one of the best years ever by a cb, Harris having his best year, Jenkins playing like a monster until he got hurt and Poula filling in adequately. Devito ,Pace, Scott and Ellis all had solid years. Leonhard was a real leader for the defense, often making coverage calls on the fly.

This year we have Mo, a rookie and question marks at NT. We have Coples, a Dt trying to play OLB. I hope it works out, but I doubt he has the speed to be an edge rusher. Also what changed from last year. We needed an OLB (seriously Thomas was our first choice), but never even made an attempt to play him there. Harris and Pace aren't the players they were 4 years ago, Davis is still unproven. In 2009 IMO safety was a strong point, this year we don't know if we even have a second starter.

I know there's a chance everything works out but in 2009 it did.
ukjets21

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defensive backs were hardly better besides Revis and Rhodes.

Sheppard wasn't good, nor was Leonhard. And Coples isn't a DT, he's a LE really, I hope he works out at OLB but we can cope if he needs to go back to DE.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no if for no other reason i think 2013 Defense is gonna have to be on the field alot more in short yard situation

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
SDotNova

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit is definitely a big question mark. It's going to be interesting to see how well Coples transitions and how well Richardson plays in this defense.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. The DB's & LB's made the difference.

Even though Rhodes wasn't the best, there were times when he played at a probowl level. We have no clue what we are getting out of Bush. We have more depth at Corner.

Don't know how well Coples can play in open space as a OLB & Barnes is just a pass rusher. Davis can't stop the run yet.

We have the potential to be, but we just have a lot of question marks in those positions. Going into 09, we seen what Leonhard, Rhodes, Harris, Scott, Pace, Revis and Thomas can do.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On paper, 2013 has the talent to be better. I'm not expecting this year's defense to be quite that good, but I think, considering how young most of our defense is, we could get to that level very soon.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that's different is the NFL has had a few years to study Rex's defense and how to combat it. Plus, the success of the running game allowed the Jets to chew up large chunks of the clock, limiting the opportunities for teams in 2009-2010.

I think it's hard to compare right now. Who knows if they might be considering bringing in Charles Woodson to play safety? That might be something that could impact the defensive outlook.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2009 Jets defense was built around an incredibly special player that had one of the best seasons for a player at his position ever. We just traded that player.

It was Revis' ability not only to eliminate #1 receivers on his own, but also the fact that it gave Rex Ryan the flexibility to shade coverage towards the #2 receiver or tight end threat and a lot more options in terms of blitz creativity. Additionally, teams threw at Revis all the time because he was always one-on-one with the team's best receiver and he was responsible for more incompletions than any corner. The Jets 2009 defense on paper doesn't have elite talent everywhere, but Rex Ryan schemed around the one special player he did have, and it was highly successful.

Additionally, 2009 was probably Calvin Pace's best year as a Jet. 8 sacks in 12 games and was as good as ever setting the edge against the run. Don't forget we also had half a season of Kris Jenkins in addition to Sione Pouha, and Bart Scott was a new signing who while overpaid made a really nice pairing with Harris.

There's a ton of potential with the 2013 defense, but that's all it really is at this point. Of all the young players the Jets have added recently, only Muhammad Wilkerson is really poised to be a top player at his position across the league. We'll see how other players develop.
green24

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
The 2009 Jets defense was built around an incredibly special player that had one of the best seasons for a player at his position ever. We just traded that player.

It was Revis' ability not only to eliminate #1 receivers on his own, but also the fact that it gave Rex Ryan the flexibility to shade coverage towards the #2 receiver or tight end threat and a lot more options in terms of blitz creativity. Additionally, teams threw at Revis all the time because he was always one-on-one with the team's best receiver and he was responsible for more incompletions than any corner. The Jets 2009 defense on paper doesn't have elite talent everywhere, but Rex Ryan schemed around the one special player he did have, and it was highly successful.

Additionally, 2009 was probably Calvin Pace's best year as a Jet. 8 sacks in 12 games and was as good as ever setting the edge against the run. Don't forget we also had half a season of Kris Jenkins in addition to Sione Pouha, and Bart Scott was a new signing who while overpaid made a really nice pairing with Harris.

There's a ton of potential with the 2013 defense, but that's all it really is at this point. Of all the young players the Jets have added recently, only Muhammad Wilkerson is really poised to be a top player at his position across the league. We'll see how other players develop.

Antonio Cromartie is also one of the better CBs in the NFL.
Davey

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but I was referring more generally to the recent group of highly drafted players the Jets have added over the past few years... Wilson, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Davis, and now Milliner and Richardson. This thread really hinges on most of those players putting it together or at least showing something this season.
green24

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey wrote:
I agree, but I was referring more generally to the recent group of highly drafted players the Jets have added over the past few years... Wilson, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Davis, and now Milliner and Richardson. This thread really hinges on most of those players putting it together or at least showing something this season.

I agree. I don't think we will have the top defense in the NFL this season, although I think there is a good chance we finish in the the top 5. However, as our young talent continues to develop, I think we could see a defense ona couple years that bests the 2009 defense.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We finally have the potential to have a good pass rush this season.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think the 2014 defense will top 09. We might actually cause some turnovers. If Rex is still here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: