Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blaine Gabbert - 2013 Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jags

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
DuvalsKing wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
That whole season played out horribly. Weaver tells JDR that he's fired if we don't make the playoffs, Gene gets us "playoff ready" in the draft by trading up to get a QB who isn't ready to play. Garrard gets injured, plays poorly and gets cut days before the season starts. McCown has that disastrous game against the Jets, and the writing is instantly on the wall...McCown isn't taking this team to the playoffs, so the only way JDR can save his job is by hoping Gabbert shocks the world. And then when it was clear that wasn't going to happen, JDR just stopped caring about the team, so there was no preparation coming from him to help Gabbert.

That whole season was an epic mess, there really was nothing to be happy about except MJD

I did enjoy the Monday night game regarless of how bad we looked on offense outside of MJD minus his 2 fumbles but I've never seen our defense dominate we did on the Monday night game. My highlight of that season.
Agreed that MNF football game was the best I've felt in the bank since that playoff game against the Dolphins. (the year escapes me I was very young)

I was so ecstatic to see the Jaguars beat the Ravens. I had 10+ people watching the game with me at work that day and all of them were saying the Ravens where going to destroy the Jaguars. It was great to see their reaction when they Jaguars pulled out a great win due to defense and a strong run game.

Classic JDR game.

DarthDavis wrote:
I tell you I respect the Jags forum nothing but classy posters. They got a good group over there.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadjag wrote:
DuvalsKing wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
That whole season played out horribly. Weaver tells JDR that he's fired if we don't make the playoffs, Gene gets us "playoff ready" in the draft by trading up to get a QB who isn't ready to play. Garrard gets injured, plays poorly and gets cut days before the season starts. McCown has that disastrous game against the Jets, and the writing is instantly on the wall...McCown isn't taking this team to the playoffs, so the only way JDR can save his job is by hoping Gabbert shocks the world. And then when it was clear that wasn't going to happen, JDR just stopped caring about the team, so there was no preparation coming from him to help Gabbert.

That whole season was an epic mess, there really was nothing to be happy about except MJD

I did enjoy the Monday night game regarless of how bad we looked on offense outside of MJD minus his 2 fumbles but I've never seen our defense dominate we did on the Monday night game. My highlight of that season.
Agreed that MNF football game was the best I've felt in the bank since that playoff game against the Dolphins. (the year escapes me I was very young)

1999 if you're thinking of the 62-7 game

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get all the "last chance", "make or break" talk about a player who is just 23 years old. He is the same age as E.J. Manuel, who was the top QB taken in the draft and really isn't expected to be the starter at the beginning of the season. Blaine would still be the youngest starting QB in the league if Griffin isn't ready to start the year, RGIII is just a couple months younger. Guys like Brady, Palmer, Rodgers, Schaub, etc. didn't get their first start until they were 24 I believe. I don't think anyone is saying it's E.J. Manuel's last chance. Or Tyler Wilson who is older than Gabbert. Jordan Rodgers who they brought into camp is over a year older than Blaine. Kafka is a couple years older too.

My impression is that Blaine has done about as well as expected in his position coming into the league. He had a better completion % and passer rating than Andrew Luck last season. With the easy half of the schedule ahead of him when he was hurt, and the receivers finally learning their routes.
corry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
I don't get all the "last chance", "make or break" talk about a player who is just 23 years old. He is the same age as E.J. Manuel, who was the top QB taken in the draft and really isn't expected to be the starter at the beginning of the season. Blaine would still be the youngest starting QB in the league if Griffin isn't ready to start the year, RGIII is just a couple months younger. Guys like Brady, Palmer, Rodgers, Schaub, etc. didn't get their first start until they were 24 I believe. I don't think anyone is saying it's E.J. Manuel's last chance. Or Tyler Wilson who is older than Gabbert. Jordan Rodgers who they brought into camp is over a year older than Blaine. Kafka is a couple years older too.

My impression is that Blaine has done about as well as expected in his position coming into the league. He had a better completion % and passer rating than Andrew Luck last season. With the easy half of the schedule ahead of him when he was hurt, and the receivers finally learning their routes.

Nice post, and welcome to the board.

Yahoo Sports wrote:

The reason 2013 is a "make or break" season for Gabbert is the Jaguars have until May 3, 2014 to exercise the fifth-year option in Gabbert's rookie contract, which would be worth the amount of the transition tag for the 2014 season and guaranteed for injury only at the time it is exercised. If the salary cap remains flat at $123 million again in 2014, the transition tag for a quarterback will be worth $13.614 million, which would become fully guaranteed if Gabbert is on the roster on the first day of the 2015 league year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jacksonville-jaguars-salary-cap-outlook-big-decisions-made-202431606.html

ethan raphael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I really don't agree with the Yahoo article though. If the Jags think Blaine is worth the option money next season they will exercise it. If not he is still under contract for two more years. At the end of that time they offer him what they believe he is worth, and other teams have the same opportunity. But it isn't like Blaine is going to get kicked out of the league if he doesn't win 10 games next season or something. Which is how a lot of his critics view things.
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
I really don't agree with the Yahoo article though. If the Jags think Blaine is worth the option money next season they will exercise it. If not he is still under contract for two more years. At the end of that time they offer him what they believe he is worth, and other teams have the same opportunity. But it isn't like Blaine is going to get kicked out of the league if he doesn't win 10 games next season or something. Which is how a lot of his critics view things.

The thing is though if he doesn't improve in 2013 then he's not worth that kind of money. Especially if the Jaguars are in position to get a QB they like in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
corry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:

Agreement isn't a requirement for participation. Stick around, I'm sure we'll find something we agree on.

ethan raphael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pretty safe bet that he improves this season, it's a question of how much. Which is going to be in the eye of the beholder to a large extent. But if the team doesn't excercise it's option for the fifth year, he is still under contract for the fourth year. So he has two years to work for a new deal. At the end of that time he becomes a free agent if nothing gets worked out with the Jaguars. Who would still have the same opportunity to resign him along with other teams in the league. As to getting another QB in the draft, that is still a vague hypothetical. Everyone thought they would sign a top free agent or use a top draft pick at the position in the spring, but they did nothing. Caldwell seems to have a higher opinion of Blaine than the media or fans. That is meaningful, since he was the Falcon's director of college scouting while Blaine was in college (and prior to that while he was being recruited), then director of pro scouting for the team during the two seasons Gabbert has been in the NFL. So he has as good a handle on Blaine's potential as anyone does. Seems quite willing to tie his fortunes to Gabbert. So far at least.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Caldwell didn't feel like wasting a pick on a weak QB class when we had so many other holes to fill, and didn't (rightfully so) believe anyone we brought in would make a difference in Free Agency.

And I also have a lot of doubts that Caldwell wasted much time scouting Blaine as a prospect. The Falcons had zero interest in taking a QB early, so any time scouting Gabbert was a waste of time that would be better served scouting someone else.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iPwn"]Or Caldwell didn't feel like wasting a pick on a weak QB class when we had so many other holes to fill, and didn't (rightfully so) believe anyone we brought in would make a difference in Free Agency.

And I also have a lot of doubts that Caldwell wasted much time scouting Blaine as a prospect. The Falcons had zero interest in taking a QB early, so any time scouting Gabbert was a waste of time that would be better served scouting someone else.[/quote]

Geno Smith had more impressive college stats than Teddy Bridgewater at the same stage. Otherwise they are pretty much identical in terms of size, arm strength, etc. Matt Barkley was considered a high first round possibility if he had come out a year earlier. You can't make meaningful extrapollations about a QB class from year to year. If they were down on Gabbert they would have grabbed a couple guys last year. Especially since all the prospects at the position fell a round or two lower than expected.

I don't think college scouts view prospects with much of an eye on the current roster. They are looking at kids who might not be available for the draft for a couple or three years, and might not be looked on to contribute much for another two or three years after that. Not much point worrying about who you have or don't have on your team now when you're scouting prospects five years ahead of NFL impact. I bet the Jags rostor had turned over by probably 90% over the past five years.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Geno Smith had more impressive college stats than Teddy Bridgewater at the same stage.
Box score scouting? Ugh.

Quote:
Otherwise they are pretty much identical in terms of size, arm strength, etc.
No. Teddy is better at all of that than Geno, and seems to have a much better understanding of the defense in front of him. On top of that, Teddy's anticipation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Geno's. Geno has to wait for a player to get open before throwing a large portion of the time. Teddy anticipates routes, and is able to throw guys open.

Quote:
Matt Barkley was considered a high first round possibility if he had come out a year earlier.
No he wasn't. Sure, a lot of people in online communities felt that he was, but that was solely due to box score scouting. Every single person I know that actually broke down his film had him pegged as a 3rd rounder (at best) before the 2012 draft. He wasn't that good of a prospect.

Quote:
If they were down on Gabbert they would have grabbed a couple guys last year. Especially since all the prospects at the position fell a round or two lower than expected.
They fell that far because they just weren't good prospects. In a deep draft at other positions, there was no need to waste picks on bad QBs, just so that we can have a few more bad QBs on the roster. Especially when we could get our fill of bad QB prospects in UDFA with Scott and Rodgers.

Quote:
I don't think college scouts view prospects with much of an eye on the current roster. They are looking at kids who might not be available for the draft for a couple or three years, and might not be looked on to contribute much for another two or three years after that. Not much point worrying about who you have or don't have on your team now when you're scouting prospects five years ahead of NFL impact. I bet the Jags rostor had turned over by probably 90% over the past five years.
Blaine Gabbert came in as a Freshman QB in the 2008 season. That same year happened to be Dave Caldwell's first year with the Falcons. The April prior, the Falcons spent the #3 pick (and a boatload of money) on a QB by the name of Matt Ryan. While Blaine Gabbert was a Freshman who threw 13 passes, the QB that the Falcons drafted would lead his team to an 11-5 record, while winning Rookie of the Year honors and putting together one of the most impressive rookie seasons in memory. When Blaine was a sophomore and got his first college starting gig, Matt Ryan became the first QB in Falcons history to lead his team to back to back winning seasons, while putting together another very good year. It was clear as day that Matt Ryan was set to be a long term fixture at QB and that the Falcons would have zero interest in drafting an early round QB. So no, they wouldn't have wasted their time scouting Gabbert all that much.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caldwell had been scouting for close to 20 years in one capacity or another, I think. The scouts don't pay much attention to the NFL team roster, they don't get paid to make those decisions. They scout as many players as they can, as well as they can, in their area. When they become head scouts they reveiw all of the reports from the area scouts and try to add their own perspective.

The file starts on a player when he is in high school and continues for as long as he is active in the game. Regardless of position or who happens to be playing for the team the scout works for. They have to do it that way. The landscape changes all the time. Players come and go through performance, injury, age. Players pop up unexpectedly on the waiver wire or in trade talks. Pretty sure Dave knows all about Gabbert, along with all the other young QBs in the league and has a pretty good fix on the guys about to leave college.
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any difference between Bridgewater and G. Smith. They are the same player with a year or two difference in age. Same size, same style, similar college progression. They even look alike.
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethan raphael wrote:
Caldwell had been scouting for close to 20 years in one capacity or another, I think. The scouts don't pay much attention to the NFL team roster, they don't get paid to make those decisions. They scout as many players as they can, as well as they can, in their area. When they become head scouts they reveiw all of the reports from the area scouts and try to add their own perspective.

The file starts on a player when he is in high school and continues for as long as he is active in the game. Regardless of position or who happens to be playing for the team the scout works for. They have to do it that way. The landscape changes all the time. Players come and go through performance, injury, age. Players pop up unexpectedly on the waiver wire or in trade talks. Pretty sure Dave knows all about Gabbert, along with all the other young QBs in the league and has a pretty good fix on the guys about to leave college.
Then why did Dave said he didn't know much about our team when he took the job?

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
ethan raphael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine he meant "team" as a whole. Not sure how often the Jags played the Falcons over the past couple of years, once at least, but they aren't divisional opponents, or likely playoff opponents, so he probably didn't spend a huge amount of time scouting the team. But, I'm sure he came in with some strong opinions on various players, most certainly Gabbert. He named some of the building block players on the team just a few weeks after taking the job. Once he was aware the Jaguar position was a possibility, I'm sure he took advantage of the vast resources at his disposal to get as good a fix as possible on Blaine, since that would be one of the keys to how his job would unfold. I think he and Bradley said that they had watched every throw Gabbert made in the NFL a month or so after they took over. Prior to free agency and the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: