Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade this Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
With S being our biggest need

Sure, safety may have been our biggest need positionally, but our defence was ranked #8 overall (ppg) last year, whereas we were 27th overall in 3rd down conversions.

The Bengals obviously thought converting more 3rd downs was our biggest area of need, and I can't say I disagree with them.

I understand that. But in the end we couldn't stop a TE or RB and had bad safety play against the pass and run. So despite our overall high ranking, you clearly could tell why we weren't ranked higher.

I am happy we upgraded the offense because they haven't shown up in either playoff game. Just wish we would have put a bigger priority on S at some point this offseason

Agree 'ocho'.

Kinda surprised they didn't make a play for a vet FA like Kerry Rhodes. They must be happier with their safeties than we are !!!

I wonder if they'd have taken Eifert if Vaccaro was still there @ #21.
RedGreenShow

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
With S being our biggest need

Sure, safety may have been our biggest need positionally, but our defence was ranked #8 overall (ppg) last year, whereas we were 27th overall in 3rd down conversions.

The Bengals obviously thought converting more 3rd downs was our biggest area of need, and I can't say I disagree with them.

I understand that. But in the end we couldn't stop a TE or RB and had bad safety play against the pass and run. So despite our overall high ranking, you clearly could tell why we weren't ranked higher.

I am happy we upgraded the offense because they haven't shown up in either playoff game. Just wish we would have put a bigger priority on S at some point this offseason

Agree 'ocho'.

Kinda surprised they didn't make a play for a vet FA like Kerry Rhodes. They must be happier with their safeties than we are !!!

I wonder if they'd have taken Eifert if Vaccaro was still there @ #21.

I think the better question is, who would we have taken at 21 if Eifert wasn't available? My guess is Elam/Cyprien.
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
theJ

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
I think the better question is, who would we have taken at 21 if Eifert wasn't available? My guess is Elam/Cyprien.

They didn't take Cyprien in the second when available. Zero percent chance they take him the first.

Elam maybe. But now we'll never know. All we know for sure is that it would have been one of the guys selected between 21 and 37. Could have been Gio. Who knows?

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

They didn't take Cyprien in the second when available. Zero percent chance they take him the first.

Elam maybe. But now we'll never know. All we know for sure is that it would have been one of the guys selected between 21 and 37. Could have been Gio. Who knows?

Cyprien went 33, he wasn't available when they picked in the second. For all we know Eifert could have been 14 on their board and Cyprien 15.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Hokie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bengals get a B+ from me. If they re-sign Geno and/or MJ to a long-term deal, it goes to an A for me.

The Bengals re-signed all of their important free agents. I'm not sure how well Harrison is going to fit with the Bengals, but I have no doubt whatsoever he'll be an upgrade to Manny Lawson. He should be able to have a positive impact on Rey and Tez. They re-signed Smith (to a fair deal). They re-signed virtually everyone they wanted.

They had a great draft. Eifert and Bernard will be impact rookies. While they didn't get one of the top names to start at safety, Williams shows potential. Hunt could potentially be an impact player.

I feel a bit silly for criticizing the off-season so badly a few months ago. It's been very solid.
LondonBengal

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie wrote:
The Bengals get a B+ from me. If they re-sign Geno and/or MJ to a long-term deal, it goes to an A for me.

The Bengals re-signed all of their important free agents. I'm not sure how well Harrison is going to fit with the Bengals, but I have no doubt whatsoever he'll be an upgrade to Manny Lawson. He should be able to have a positive impact on Rey and Tez. They re-signed Smith (to a fair deal). They re-signed virtually everyone they wanted.

They had a great draft. Eifert and Bernard will be impact rookies. While they didn't get one of the top names to start at safety, Williams shows potential. Hunt could potentially be an impact player.

I feel a bit silly for criticizing the off-season so badly a few months ago. It's been very solid.

I agree 'Hokie'.

Are we all agreed that the one single factor we now use to judge how good our off-season was, is whether or not we win a play-off game ?

Anything less represents failure ?
theJ

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
theJ wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

Cyprien went 33, he wasn't available when they picked in the second. For all we know Eifert could have been 14 on their board and Cyprien 15.

Doh. d'oh!

Don't know what i was thinking there. In any case, all media reports i heard said the Bengals weren't interested in him at all. But that could have been smoke and mirrors. For all we know, that's how their board could have looked.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
THE DUKE

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
theJ wrote:
RedGreenShow wrote:

Doh. #-o

Don't know what i was thinking there. In any case, all media reports i heard said the Bengals weren't interested in him at all. But that could have been smoke and mirrors. For all we know, that's how their board could have looked.

We had to have had some interest if we went to him at FIU for Zim to work him out. I'm sure they studied plenty of game tape before that workout.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
futbudds

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching more tape on Eifert today I think he is perfect for Gruden's style. Timing routes and quick throws are his bread n butter and if the play breaks down between green, Sanu, Gresh and him somebody is going to be there for Andy. If Cook is healthy and has completely forgot last season the line should be fine which is a huge if though, if he sux again we will see what Andy's made of real quick.

If Eifert wasn't there at #21 I would've been more than happy with Cyprien or Elam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: