Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Measure of Success: Props to Ravens Scouts...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Measure of Success: Props to Ravens Scouts... Reply with quote

Missouri Southern State Head Coach, Daryl Daye wrote:
“I’ve been fortunate to be in this game for almost 30 years of college football and a couple in the league [Buffalo Bills],” Daye said. “But I haven’t seen a scout work that hard and be that thorough.”

That scout was Ravens Southwest Area Scout Jack Glowik.

Ryan Mink goes on to mention that Glowik isn't alone and that a big part of the Ravens ability to find gems in the draft and their continuing success on draft day has to do with Ravens scouts everywhere sharing a similar passion and thoroughness as Glowik.

The article mentions a few more tidbits that reveal just how personal the Ravens scouts will get when looking over a player. I found it very interesting. And yes, props to these guys that are on the front lines putting in the extra work.

This is the first time we've heard of Jack Glowik, but I'm sure if he continues to put in the work and receive praise like this, it might not be long before he's one of the key cogs in the draft room for the Ravens come draft day. Props to Glowik and Ravens scouts everywhere for doing what they do best.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just so great to not be a fan of one of those teams that just doesn't seem to get it. It's a great feeling going into a draft knowing that however the board falls we are going to make sound decisions and get players that are going to be productive.
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
It's just so great to not be a fan of one of those teams that just doesn't seem to get it. It's a great feeling going into a draft knowing that however the board falls we are going to make sound decisions and get players that are going to be productive.

Amen to that. It's really a great feeling to have.

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article is from a couple of years ago, but it's worth a read on the topic of our drafting strategy and acument:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/sports/football/19ravens.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It's hard to appreciate at times the extent to which so much of our success derives from an institutional culture that really insures that success. These 20/20 guys, the 20-somethings working 20 hours a day for 20k a year as scouts or whatever else they need to be, they'll always be here, and they'll always do a good job. That's not to say that someone like this Jack Glowik guy doesn't deserve individual credit for working as hard as he does and doing a good job, but from a fan's perspective, what's comforting to know is that there will always be a Jack Glowik being produced out of the Ravens farm system, because that's what they do. So even when Glowik one day is maybe running his own team and Ozzie's down in Alabama and DeCosta or even DeCosta's protege is running things, there's a framework in place that will make sure we're still successful.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Agreed on all accounts. And that was a very good article.

I thought I knew what the 20/20 club was all about... but I didn't know that they don't start out evaluating players. The notion that they start out as.. basically assistants/secretaries was something I was unaware of.

I always wondered how scouts could be trusted in the sense of 'knowing what they're talking about'... I mean, it obviously 'makes sense' that they would have to work their way up to being in charge of evals... but I had just never considered the idea of it until now.

But yes, the term 'farm system' is exactly the word that I think really best describes what we have. My only concern is that when Ozzie leaves and if DeCosta isn't around... we could potentially be missing out on that element of patience that both of those guys bring to the table. They both just have such a calm, fair, and balanced presence that they bring to the table.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: