Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Questions about our young guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MP

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Questions about our young guys Reply with quote

Vladimir Ducasse: Can he beat out Colon and Winters for a starting guard spot? This will be his third year in the league and should be considered the favorite for a starting guard spot.

Stephen Hill: With Holmes coming back healthy, Kerley will be moved to the slot position. Can Hill build on his one game last year in which he displayed what he can do? Or will his catching problems continue to rear it's ugly head? I know most WR's typically take three years to develop, but Hill has to show something. At the same time, this is Kerley's third year? Will he make that leap?

Chris Ivory - Bilal Powell - Mike Goodson: This is a three man running back rotation it looks like we will have. Each one of them brings their own specialty. It's highly doubtful that we will use all three every game, but much rather a ride the hot hand type of rotation. Ivory was traded for, Goodson was signed and Powell was the draft pick. Who will step up and be the opening day RB? Whose the second?

Kenrick Ellis - Damon Harrison: Both have drawn positive comments from Rex, but we just drafted Richardson and signed Garay. It appears that the Jets want to be using a big rotation to keep guys fresh up the middle, however which one of these guys steps up and gets more playing time? Does either become the day one starter? Either way you look at it, we have some beef in the middle.

Demario Davis: Bart Scott is no longer starting and Davis is inheriting this job. Coming out of Arkansas State there was a lot to like about Davis, in sixteen games he had 35 tackles. Does Davis take that leap in the 3-4 sets to become a sure tackler, does he match Harris' production?

OLB's: Does any OLB outside of Barnes and Pace do anything or worth? I'm talking about the entire lot of these guys. Jets once again shy away from drafting a pass rushing OLB, opting to find production from in house. Does Coples make a guest appearing standing up?

Josh Bush - Jaiquawn Jarrett - Antonio Allen: Both Bush and Allen played very little for us last year, however at least they have some knowledge of what we're trying to do. Allen even registered a sack for us. Jarrett was a draft favorite of a lot of us here, however played pretty poor for the massive failure that was the Eagles secondary. With Landry claiming one safety spot, who will take the other safety position?

Obviously not every guy is going to step up and fill a hole for us, however who is the one guy that your sure of on this list that will step up this year?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad- Honestly I don't see him being more than a depth guy behind Colon. I believe Colon and Winters will be the starting OGs for us

NT: Rex will probably go with a 3 man rotation of Ellis-Garay-Harrison, although I don't trust Garay to stsy healthy so I really expect a heavy dose of Ellis and Harrison, Harrison actually looked pretty good when given playing time

RB: Ivory should be the primary RB with Goodson and Powell being mixed in IMO

OLB: the day 1 starters Look to be Coples and Barnes (with pace probably rotated in with Barnes), Coples I believe will make a BIG jump this year being moved to the "Suggs" role, plus playing with a DL of Wilk-Ellis-Richardson will help a lot

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about our young guys Reply with quote

MP wrote:
Vladimir Ducasse: Can he beat out Colon and Winters for a starting guard spot? This will be his third year in the league and should be considered the favorite for a starting guard spot.
No. He'll be our #3 OG.

Quote:
Stephen Hill: With Holmes coming back healthy, Kerley will be moved to the slot position. Can Hill build on his one game last year in which he displayed what he can do? Or will his catching problems continue to rear it's ugly head? I know most WR's typically take three years to develop, but Hill has to show something. At the same time, this is Kerley's third year? Will he make that leap?
Hill should improve a bit, but I don't see him completely breaking out this season. Kerley kind of already did make that leap.

Quote:
Chris Ivory - Bilal Powell - Mike Goodson: This is a three man running back rotation it looks like we will have. Each one of them brings their own specialty. It's highly doubtful that we will use all three every game, but much rather a ride the hot hand type of rotation. Ivory was traded for, Goodson was signed and Powell was the draft pick. Who will step up and be the opening day RB? Whose the second?
Ivory will start. Goodson will be the #2, but Powell should still get a decent amount of carries.

Quote:
Kenrick Ellis - Damon Harrison: Both have drawn positive comments from Rex, but we just drafted Richardson and signed Garay. It appears that the Jets want to be using a big rotation to keep guys fresh up the middle, however which one of these guys steps up and gets more playing time? Does either become the day one starter? Either way you look at it, we have some beef in the middle.
Ellis will start this season. I think he will perform fairly well. Doubt Harrison sees the field much at all.

Quote:
Demario Davis: Bart Scott is no longer starting and Davis is inheriting this job. Coming out of Arkansas State there was a lot to like about Davis, in sixteen games he had 35 tackles. Does Davis take that leap in the 3-4 sets to become a sure tackler, does he match Harris' production?
It won't be easy to match Harris, who should have a season similar to the one he had in 2011. I do think Davis will have a break out season. I'm not expecting him to become the next NaVorro Bowman, but there are similarities to be made between the two players.

Quote:
OLB's: Does any OLB outside of Barnes and Pace do anything or worth? I'm talking about the entire lot of these guys. Jets once again shy away from drafting a pass rushing OLB, opting to find production from in house. Does Coples make a guest appearing standing up?
Coples should see a lot of action at OLB. That will be where he starts in a 3-4. I think he will do very well, possibly reaching double digit sacks.

Quote:
Josh Bush - Jaiquawn Jarrett - Antonio Allen: Both Bush and Allen played very little for us last year, however at least they have some knowledge of what we're trying to do. Allen even registered a sack for us. Jarrett was a draft favorite of a lot of us here, however played pretty poor for the massive failure that was the Eagles secondary. With Landry claiming one safety spot, who will take the other safety position?
Jarrett is just a camp body. I think Bush will start at FS, but Antonio Allen will see the field a lot this season. Rontez Miles should make the roster.

Quote:
Obviously not every guy is going to step up and fill a hole for us, however who is the one guy that your sure of on this list that will step up this year?
Not sure if Coples is considered on the list, but him. If he's not, Demario Davis.
Davey

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducasse has a huge opportunity if he can grasp it. But at the same time this year could cement him as one of the bigger busts of the Tannenbaum era. It's a definite make-or-break season for him.

Stephen Hill and Chris Ivory to me are the two players that could actually make the Jets offense relatively formidable if they both come through with productive seasons.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about our young guys Reply with quote

Vladimir Ducasse: No, I just don't have much faith in him to develop into a starter in this system. Has the physical tools, just struggled mentally.

Stephen Hill: I think he will show improvement, but I doubt probowl breakout year. He'll develop like Braylon did.

Chris Ivory - Bilal Powell - Mike Goodson: 1.Ivory 2. Goodson 3. Powell . Unless Ivory is top 10 back, I think the rotation will be similar to what the Giants had (Jacobs, Bradshaw,Ward.) or Saints ( Thomas, Sproles, and Ingram) . I thin Ivory is going to be a beast this season.

Kenrick Ellis - Damon Harrison: I think Garay is going to take the starting role until Ellis steps up. Harrison has potential, just need to get use to being out there. Doesn't have any moves yet.

Demario Davis: He really need to learn how to play the run. If that is done, he will top Harris's production IMO. Coming from a school like that, of course we expected him to have a big learning curve.

OLB's: I think Idzik will find another OLB from the UDFA list who is good enough to rotate. I can't explain why. Barnes will do great pass rushing wise, but I have my doubts against the run. Pace is just Pace. He will need someone to rotate with.

Josh Bush - Jaiquawn Jarrett - Antonio Allen: I haven't seen Jarrett play, so I can't judge him. I can see Allen taking the starting role or a preseason cut we sign.

Quote:
It's not about the money, it's about sending a message. - The Joker
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Aboushi has a better shot to take the starting RG spot from Colon then Ducasse does. They could be developing Aboushi to be a RT though. I have very little faith in Ducasse.

I think Hill will have a better year (but will still have more room to grow). If he starts trying to catch with his hands more I'll consider that progress. Way too much body catching last year. Still think the sky is the limit for him. Kerley is the man no need to wait for him to breakout he's ready.

Ivory wins the job for sure and Goodson/Powell will split the rest. I'm thinking 1,200 yards for Ivory, 400 for Powell and 600 for Goodson. Goodson will get more touches in space on those screens. He'll have a 60+ yard screen TD for sure this year.

Ellis showed flashes when he played but needs to stay healthy. Garay is a solid backup that will certainly earn some time.

Davis is ready to explode I feel. He was a step slow on his reads last year as he was thinking too much rather than just reacting. This year his decisions will be quicker and his impact will be felt.

Coples and Barnes will be good at OLB but I don't see much else in the guys like Sapp or McIntyre.

Allen wins the other S spot next to Landry. Bush backs him up and Miles backs up Landry. Miles has the biggest upside of them all but we'll have to wait until next year to see if he can develop.

A little OT but our front seven is getting me giddy.

Cope, Harris, Davis, Barnes
Richardson, Ellis, Wilk

If Davis and Ellis perform to where they are capable of then we are looking good for a long time outside of Harris. Still Harris will get back to what he does best plugging those wholes in the run game. With 2 potential double digit sack guys on the outside in Barnes and Cope we haven't had this kind of potential in the front seven in a very long time.

Props to Mack on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: