Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agent Josh Cribbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify.

A) I'm not guaranteeing him a roster spot. After that ACL, I'd like to sign him, play him in the preseason to see if he can still return kicks. If he can, I trust him more than I trust Ross' immaturity to come back and fumble the ball in a big moment.

B) He doesn't play a down on offense unless Cobb goes down. There is no package he fits in our offense other than Cobb's role out of the backfield. And I'd only play him there if Cobb's package was both in the game plan and effective. I don't want him catching a ball from Rodgers from more than 8 yards away. He returns kicks to keep Cobb away from there, and learns Cobb's package.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
He returns kicks to keep Cobb away from there, and learns Cobb's package.

Sooooooo, how is that worth a roster spot over guys that can actually play WR like Boykin or Ross...

Or over one of our 7th round picks that have loads of potential? Signing Cribbs makes no sense.

Sig brought to you by Justo
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
You will learn. Sooner or later.

Kind of a snooty answer to someone who's been here over 5 years longer than you eh?

For a person from the Midwest, that would be called snooty.

For a person from New Jersey, that would be called being polite. Razz Very Happy

haha... sorry I just wanted to bust on Jersey for a bit.

From South Jersey yes that would be polite. In Central NJ, that might be snooty unless you're in Princeton, from North Jersey, it'd probably be confrontationally questioned...
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
He returns kicks to keep Cobb away from there, and learns Cobb's package.

Sooooooo, how is that worth a roster spot over guys that can actually play WR like Boykin or Ross...

Or over one of our 7th round picks that have loads of potential? Signing Cribbs makes no sense.

It's a combination of things. Do you want to cut Cobb out of returning kicks at the expense of a very small amount of depth? If you bring Cribbs in and he is clearly a level above the other return men, is that worth keeping? I look at the difference between Cobb and any other return man on this team as 20-30 yards of field position in any given game and potential turnovers, particularly at key times. If Cribbs can do that, I think it's worth it. Cobb could catch anywhere from 70-100 balls this year plus a package out of the backfield.

With a ground game in the fold, need for a capable WR is down.

I'm not even saying Cribbs can still play. I'm saying I'm willing to find out.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Let me clarify.

A) I'm not guaranteeing him a roster spot. After that ACL, I'd like to sign him, play him in the preseason to see if he can still return kicks. If he can, I trust him more than I trust Ross' immaturity to come back and fumble the ball in a big moment.

B) He doesn't play a down on offense unless Cobb goes down. There is no package he fits in our offense other than Cobb's role out of the backfield. And I'd only play him there if Cobb's package was both in the game plan and effective. I don't want him catching a ball from Rodgers from more than 8 yards away. He returns kicks to keep Cobb away from there, and learns Cobb's package.

A) Why do you trust Cribbs more? Because he has a big name? Because you saw Ross fumble once? Because you don't know Cribbs is a fumbler?

Ross and his "immaturity" fumbled once against the 49ers... Cobb replaced him and his "immaturity" fumbled twice in that same game. So is Cobb more "immature" than Ross?

Then there is Cribbs who's "immaturity" averages a fumble every 3 games over the last 3 years. 16 fumbles over his last 47 games. I guess you could say Cribbs doesn't fumble it in big moments... but what big moments have the Browns had? Kind of easy to say he hasn't fumbled in big moments if he's never been in them...

Kind of like a couple of schools saying their football team is undefeated since ___ ... because they haven't had a team since then and/or forever.

B) ugLymayNe said it well

ugLymayNe wrote:

ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:

Yeah, but the need for a WR type skill set that can line up at RB is completely gone now that we drafted Lacy and Franklin. Yeah, I'd love to see someone replace Cobb on returns but I also think we have guys like Ross & Hyde that can handle those duties. I'd still like to see Cobb take some returns to be honest, could flip field position for us or take it to the house.

Sig brought to you by Justo
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

Yeah, but the need for a WR type skill set that can line up at RB is completely gone now that we drafted Lacy and Franklin. Yeah, I'd love to see someone replace Cobb on returns but I also think we have guys like Ross & Hyde that can handle those duties. I'd still like to see Cobb take some returns to be honest, could flip field position for us or take it to the house.

Dorsey would be the replacement for Ross/Cobb.
spilltray

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:

Yeah I don't get it, for years, everyone wanted to invest a decently high pick (1-4) in a guy with some WR/CB/RB skills, but primarily to get a "legit return threat". Now they did that, he's only played 2 seasons, but because he's looked good at WR as well, he's not worth using as a KR/PR? That was a big part of why he was a great value pick when he's drafted. Getting the ball in his hands in those situations is still a threat. I don't think WR is any less of a need because even with the additions, I doubt the run/pass ratio moves all that much. This team will end up going as far as Rodgers arm takes us and Lacy/Franklin don't really change that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
Do you want to cut Cobb out of returning kicks at the expense of a very small amount of depth?

We already have several other players with KR/PR upside that can also do other things: Ross, Hyde, Franklin, etc.
dijatool

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Beast wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
You will learn. Sooner or later.

Kind of a snooty answer to someone who's been here over 5 years longer than you eh?

For a person from the Midwest, that would be called snooty.

For a person from New Jersey, that would be called being polite. Razz Very Happy

haha... sorry I just wanted to bust on Jersey for a bit.

From South Jersey yes that would be polite. In Central NJ, that might be snooty unless you're in Princeton, from North Jersey, it'd probably be confrontationally questioned...

Having been raised central NJ this response chain made me laugh (because it is true).
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/332578806164496384

Quote:
Josh Cribbs remains in demand. After meeting with Raiders, Jets and Giants this week, he's on to Detroit next.

So yeah, that's not happening.
TheGreatZepp

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beast wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
Let me clarify.

A) Why do you trust Cribbs more? Because he has a big name? Because you saw Ross fumble once? Because you don't know Cribbs is a fumbler?

Ross and his "immaturity" fumbled once against the 49ers... Cobb replaced him and his "immaturity" fumbled twice in that same game. So is Cobb more "immature" than Ross?

Then there is Cribbs who's "immaturity" averages a fumble every 3 games over the last 3 years. 16 fumbles over his last 47 games. I guess you could say Cribbs doesn't fumble it in big moments... but what big moments have the Browns had? Kind of easy to say he hasn't fumbled in big moments if he's never been in them...

Kind of like a couple of schools saying their football team is undefeated since ___ ... because they haven't had a team since then and/or forever.

B) ugLymayNe said it well

ugLymayNe wrote:

Beast said it well. So many reasons not to go down the Cribbs path, so few reasons for signing him.

You let guys walk a year too soon, not a year too late as we saw with Woodson and Jenkins. Woodson, too late; expensive liability. Jenkins, too soon; half season or productivity before falling off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: