Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ross makes big donation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Ross makes big donation Reply with quote

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/dolphins_owner_stephen_ross_to_donate_half_his_wealth/13569512

I really like Ross, and this makes me like him even more. Great to see all the wealthy people in the world join hands to make the world a better place!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to say it but its kinda like..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvxe04wGmTw

right there plain as day and can't help notice, he is going to donate half of his 4.4 billion dollar wealth to charity, but expects public money for his stadium. Its early in the morning and now my head is going to hurt all day.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is that time of year...searching for something remotely Dolphins related to discuss...4 months.....4 freaking months...

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do the same thing. He didn't promise to make all of his buisiness ventures not for profits. lol

I'm sure Bill Gates still asks for every tax write off he can get. I'm sure Microsoft still gets government kickbacks for projects they do. One has nothing to do with the other.

Last edited by bpastermack on Wed May 08, 2013 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
JCool333

Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

right there plain as day and can't help notice, he is going to donate half of his 4.4 billion dollar wealth to charity, but expects public money for his stadium. Its early in the morning and now my head is going to hurt all day.

I agree that the public shouldn't be forced to lose tax money so that he can benefit, but the Dolphins provide a huge boost to Miami and Florida's economy, and that shouldn't be forgotten. A stadium upgrade doesn't only benefit Ross. I don't know how much the local economy would benefit financially, but i don't think they'd be spending less than they'd gain, when all is said and done.

In addition, while everyone says he's asking for "half the funding", 3 million dollars a year for 30 years isn't half the funding, as money is worth far more today than it is next year, in two years, or in twenty years.

I'm not saying it should definitely be okayed, but I think the proposal actually seemed pretty far when all is said and done. And I was against it at first.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
It is that time of year...searching for something remotely Dolphins related to discuss...4 months.....4 freaking months...

When is the next OTA?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:

When is the next OTA?

First OTA May 21-23, 2013

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW seriously guys it was tax money from HOTELS meaning tourist money primarily. Now ask yourself how many times have you planned a vacation and said hmmmmmmmm maybe we should just kill the whole idea cos I dont know if we can afford the hotel??? Let's be real if you plan on going on vacation anywhere you've planned to spend money and the added penny that it would have cost tourist wouldnt have even been noticed.

We want a great team with playoff births and Superbowls well win, lose or draw Mr Ross foots the big regardless. No sell out the man buys up the required amount of seats so the public can see the game he doesn't have to do that! I would be surprised if he changes his mind and moves the team. He has NO reason to keep them in Miami. Low attendance and it's the one investment he's losing money on. I hope to god ti doesn't come to that but I definitely wouldnt be shocked!!
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly cool. Ross doesn't strike me as the "give my billions away" type, and its a bit suspicious that this comes out just after he appears like a cry baby billionaire, but whatever the case, I am proud to have such a giving owner.

This does not change my feelings about public monies funding billionaires business ventures, and I am against the tax hikes to fund our stadium, but I do respect Ross for this move and have a deep respect for philanthropists.
Lemmiwinks

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
I would do the same thing. He didn't promise to make all of his buisiness ventures not for profits. lol

I'm sure Bill Gates still asks for every tax write off he can get. I'm sure Microsoft still gets government kickbacks for projects they do. One has nothing to do with the other.

It says Bill gates started the foundation.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemmiwinks wrote:
bpastermack wrote:

It says Bill gates started the foundation.

I know, that's why I used him as an example

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:

Even if ross wants to pay for the stadium renovations all by himself the league owners would never approve it. It would open up a whole new can of worms for owners
green4gulf

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classy move by Ross......although I'm curious if his pledge was for during his lifetime or at his death ( as some of the other members of this philanthropic group have pledged half of their fortune at the time of their death ).

Either way it's a classy move.

edit; just found that it is at his death......so he will still have the funds to upgrade the Stadium down the road LoL.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/5/8/4310602/dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-pledges-to-give-half-his-wealth-to-charity[/url]
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
A classy move by Ross......although I'm curious if his pledge was for during his lifetime or at his death ( as some of the other members of this philanthropic group have pledged half of their fortune at the time of their death ).

Either way it's a classy move.

edit; just found that it is at his death......so he will still have the funds to upgrade the Stadium down the road LoL.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/5/8/4310602/dolphins-owner-stephen-ross-pledges-to-give-half-his-wealth-to-charity[/url]

Yes, all of these guys are basically saying they are promising not to give all the wealth to family members, but will give at least half of it when they die to this charity that is then doing a combination of education initiatives in the states and initiatives to eradicate Malaria in Africa, and find AIDs vaccines and such. Many people have no idea how many people in Africa die every day from things like Malaria, or how many people are basically living Zombies, or partially braindead because the Malaria didn't kill them but screwed up their brains. And an organization like this can literally save millions of lives!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: