Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

with the #69 pick the Arizona Cardinals select Tyrann Mathie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm still trying to make myself comfortable with this pick:

Mathieu is 5'9" tall - so he's pretty darn short. NFL receivers are generally bigger than college receivers - so that may be an issue.

In his last game in college, Alabama made sure they attacked LSU's D in a way that isolated Mathieu in man coverage - that's a big reason LSU lost that game.

The only way I think I can get comfortable with this pick is #1 - he's used up in the box a lot - making use of his instincts as a pass rusher and knack for stripping the football, and #2 he gets at least marginally better in man coverage because inevitably offenses are going to try to force him into it.

All this of course, and he has to keep his head on straight - he obviously suffers from depression and that can be a life-long battle. I just have my fingers crossed on this one.

(edit - typo in original post)

Last edited by SuperFlyTNT on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:

Mathieu is 5'9" tall - so he's pretty darn short. NFL receivers are generally bigger than college receivers - so that may be an issue.

In his last game in college, Alabama made sure they attacked LSU's D in a way that isolated Mathieu in man coverage - that's a big reason LSU lost that game.

The only way I think I can get comfortable with this pick is #1 - he's used up in the box a lot - making use of his instincts as a pass rusher and knack for stripping the football, and #2 he gets at least marginally better in man coverage because inevitably defenses are going to try to force him into it.

All this of course, and he has to keep his head on straight - he obviously suffers from depression and that can be a life-long battle. I just have my fingers crossed on this one.

He 5'8" 3/4

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
SuperFlyTNT wrote:

The only way I think I can get comfortable with this pick is #1 - he's used up in the box a lot - making use of his instincts as a pass rusher and knack for stripping the football, and #2 he gets at least marginally better in man coverage because inevitably defenses are going to try to force him into it.

He 5'8" 3/4

Yeah - I like to round to whole numbers Smile :

Another article that concerns me:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--new-cardinals-db-tyrann-mathieu-continues-to-raise-red-flags-in-nfl-circles-191551286.html

Full time counselor is a must with this guy - too bad A-Dub isn't here anymore, he would have been a great leader to try and keep him in line.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he's been staying with PPs family for the past year or so, and I'm pretty sure they are like really good friends and PP who doesn't even drink alcohol is a pretty good role model for him

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am comparing him to Troy P and Bob Sanders

Both small safeties who can tackle and have ball skills

Though Tyrann's skills are better in ball skills than their's ever were.

Cannot love this pick anymore
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Well he's been staying with PPs family for the past year or so, and I'm pretty sure they are like really good friends and PP who doesn't even drink alcohol is a pretty good role model for him

Oh yeah - PP and even Kevin Minter will be there for him - was just thinking of some more guys, and perhaps some older vets - because for crazy football players (I'm actually going to quote Hillary Clinton - crazy), it takes a village Smile .
apollo14000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165207/article/report-tyrann-mathieu-wont-get-guaranteed-money
Quote:

Not only will the Cardinals protect themselves by drug testing Mathieu randomly, possibly on a weekly basis, but they will construct the third-round pick's contract with no guaranteed money, according to King. Mathieu's contract will allow for roster bonuses in a move designed to protect the team if his troubles continue and they cut him.

Not only will Mathieu have to take a lot of drug tests but there is not guaranteed money in his contract. Gotta love Keim. Smart move.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165207/article/report-tyrann-mathieu-wont-get-guaranteed-money
Quote:

Not only will the Cardinals protect themselves by drug testing Mathieu randomly, possibly on a weekly basis, but they will construct the third-round pick's contract with no guaranteed money, according to King. Mathieu's contract will allow for roster bonuses in a move designed to protect the team if his troubles continue and they cut him.

Not only will Mathieu have to take a lot of drug tests but there is not guaranteed money in his contract. Gotta love Keim. Smart move.

Love love love it. Brilliant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165323/article/tyrann-mathieus-agent-contract-report-ridiculous

Quote:
"Ridiculous," Lawlor told NFL.com's Ian Rapoport on Monday. "Not going to happen. We had no contract discussion with them."

Quote:
Mathieu's agent fully expects to get the guaranteed money afforded to a player of his draft slot. (Last year's 69th overall pick received a signing bonus of $691,000.) Lawlor phoned the Cardinals on Monday to speak on the issue.

Looks like Mathieu will be getting guaranteed money. That makes more sense. Mathieu's agent can't get paid if his client doesn't get any money.
Lombardi Gras

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFlyTNT wrote:

The only way I think I can get comfortable with this pick is #1 - he's used up in the box a lot - making use of his instincts as a pass rusher and knack for stripping the football, and #2 he gets at least marginally better in man coverage because inevitably offenses are going to try to force him into it.

(edit - typo in original post)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I wanted to say a couple of things. First off, as a huge LSU fan, the Cardinals are number 2 on teams that I would like to succeed Laughing

Secondly, LSU lost that game because of an inept offense. Not the defense. I am not saying that Mathieu does not struggle in man coverage, because he does, but that was not the reason we lost the game. Our defense played great. Our offense didn't cross midfield until the second half.

Third, I liken Mathieu more to Charles Woodson. He's a playmaker, and in my mind, your worst case scenario (from a talent perspective) is an excellent special teams player with a knack for creating turnovers. Him as a gunner and hitting a guy in the open field is exactly what you want happening with his instinctual ability to find the ball and poke it out. Additionally, if for some reason your FO is uncomfortable risking injury to PP as a punt returner...Mathieu is your man.

Bottom line: He is the most exciting player I have ever seen in person. His mentality is awesome, and assuming his game translates and he gains confidence, he will be a great addition to your defense, not only from a talent stand point, but from a momentum stand point as well. The dude has a knack for making plays at the right time, and has a swagger that seemingly makes the players around him more confident and aggressive. I will be watching a lot more Cardinal games, and hope that you guys get a quarterback.

Side note: I miss Early Doucet. Even though he was oft injured and not that good.

FSP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: