Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Some interesting Draft tidbits
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard a rumor that Lombardi's college thesis was titled....

Seriously though, in this situation, it just doesn't make sense to me that they would have players listed ONLY alphabetically.

These guys are professionals, and as goofy as we've thought a few of them just might be, they'd have to have this data organized in a number of ways, wouldn't they?

2014 1st Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award...#GETWELLERICBERRY! Adopt a Brownie 2014: Jabaal Sheard 37 tackles, 2 sacks
mchjstnk

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks thats a crap trade offer for the 6th pick? Like really really really bad?

I would have been furious if we made that trade, especially since Star was off the board.

It is absolutely a horrible trade offer. Trading just a 2nd to move up 10 spots from the middle of round 1 to the top of it is a horrible trade. I would have been with you if we would had made that trade.
MalcolmBrown

Location: 2014 Adopt a Brownie: Jim Dray: 10 Receptions, 144 Yards (14.4 ypc), 1 TD, 8 FD
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucketheadsdad wrote:
Heard a rumor that Lombardi's college thesis was titled....

Seriously though, in this situation, it just doesn't make sense to me that they would have players listed ONLY alphabetically.

These guys are professionals, and as goofy as we've thought a few of them just might be, they'd have to have this data organized in a number of ways, wouldn't they?

Am I the only one who doesn't care? If you're specifically looking for one person's name, why not have it be in alphabetical order, especially, if you already have a good idea of who you want. Also, if you're not intent on rubber neckers knowing what your plans are, it makes sense to me.

Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
braylonsHands

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchjstnk wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks thats a crap trade offer for the 6th pick? Like really really really bad?

I would have been furious if we made that trade, especially since Star was off the board.

It is absolutely a horrible trade offer. Trading just a 2nd to move up 10 spots from the middle of round 1 to the top of it is a horrible trade. I would have been with you if we would had made that trade.

It appears that trade value charts have changed quite a bit, espeically when the draft is missing on amazing players. Raiders traded down to from 3 to 10 for only a 2nd round pick. 6 to 16 is not that much different.

I am kind of happy we stayed put. Look at the talent we got with top 10 picks (ignoring injury history)
Richardson (potentially top 5 NFL back)
Haden (top 5 CB)
Thomas (#1 LT)
Wimbley (Bust)
Braylon Edwards (could have been a top 5 WR if he had better coaching)
Winslow (Broken leg in preseason and stupid motercycle accident, but would have been the best TE in the league)

Almost all of our mid to high first round picks have been good talented players, so I don't mind the Mingo pick.

Skipping over sleeper43 posts since 4/19/09
dawgdish

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger murdock wrote:

Eric Mangini agrees with you - he would have demanded a handful of over the hill Jets castoffs instead.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StewieRules wrote:
Quote:
Why does it matter?

I'm guessing these guys know who they want to take, or are at least hoping for in each round.

How you list them is irrelevant.

This, to me, looks like some folks way of chitting on Lombardi for no reason. The guy was awful previously, but until he does something 'wrong' here, this go around, I see no reason to not at least view things rationally and reasonably.

It's not irrelevant, it's organization. I think it matters for the very reasons it got attention in the 1st place - doing it that way may not mean much at the top half of the first round but by the time you're in the 4th & beyond it seems an odd way to keep track of who's where - especially when the picks are flying off the board. It's confusing at best, doesn't take much to see that.

It's also just another little notch in the belt of oddities that is Lombardi.

Alphabetic order is 'organization'. And how many other draft boards have you even really seen?

You prefer the draft board that is out in the open to be a list of draft prospects in order of how they would draft them?

If that were the case, teams would simply hand in their draft boards to the commissioner before the draft and there would simply be a reading of names.

Drafts are dynamic...knowing the names of players you want to draft simply IS the most important part. Who you would take over other players is something you ALREADY know.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
StewieRules wrote:
Quote:
Why does it matter?

I'm guessing these guys know who they want to take, or are at least hoping for in each round.

How you list them is irrelevant.

This, to me, looks like some folks way of chitting on Lombardi for no reason. The guy was awful previously, but until he does something 'wrong' here, this go around, I see no reason to not at least view things rationally and reasonably.

It's not irrelevant, it's organization. I think it matters for the very reasons it got attention in the 1st place - doing it that way may not mean much at the top half of the first round but by the time you're in the 4th & beyond it seems an odd way to keep track of who's where - especially when the picks are flying off the board. It's confusing at best, doesn't take much to see that.

It's also just another little notch in the belt of oddities that is Lombardi.

Alphabetic order is 'organization'. And how many other draft boards have you even really seen?

You prefer the draft board that is out in the open to be a list of draft prospects in order of how they would draft them?

If that were the case, teams would simply hand in their draft boards to the commissioner before the draft and there would simply be a reading of names.

Drafts are dynamic...knowing the names of players you want to draft simply IS the most important part. Who you would take over other players is something you ALREADY know.

This is exactly my point.

If our GM is simply reading the name off a list, we're in trouble.

As Banner said in an interview, they had a number of guys identified in each round that they hoped would be there and exactly the order they liked those guys well before the draft.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: