Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers and Adam Synder Agree to a 2 Year Deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamq

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
49ersfan wrote:
For comps, i think we lost Goldson, Walker, Ice, RJF, and Ginn. We gained Dawson, Dorsey, Dahl, and Skuta. Marlon Moore and Cam Morrah were signed for the vet minimum so i don't think they count. Asomugha and Snyder were cut. McCoy and Boldin were traded for so they don't count.

So i see that as 5 losses and 4 gains. So we would still get 1 comp pick at least, right?

It's gains and losses along with playing time and contract.

Goldson is almost a lock to net us a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

Walker also signed a bigish deal and will prob be dependent on playing time.

Goldson, RJF. Sop, and Walker will almost certainly start every game barring injury.. Dawson and maybe Dorsey are the only two that will get significant starts for us

-kiltman
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 49ers are $1.469 million under the salary cap after signing veteran Adam Snyder on Monday to a two-year, $2.45 million contract. Snyder's contract with the 49ers includes base salaries of $850,000 in 2013 and $1 million in 2014. He will also receive a $3,125 bonus for every game in which he appears. Snyder is considered a front-runner to win a roster spot as a backup. He played each of the five OL positions during his time with the 49ers. The 49ers will likely be required to create minimal salary-cap space to sign their 11-player draft class.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-against-cap-after-snyder-signing

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Quote:
The 49ers are $1.469 million under the salary cap after signing veteran Adam Snyder on Monday to a two-year, $2.45 million contract. Snyder's contract with the 49ers includes base salaries of $850,000 in 2013 and $1 million in 2014. He will also receive a $3,125 bonus for every game in which he appears. Snyder is considered a front-runner to win a roster spot as a backup. He played each of the five OL positions during his time with the 49ers. The 49ers will likely be required to create minimal salary-cap space to sign their 11-player draft class.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-against-cap-after-snyder-signing

In Praage We Trust
LANiner

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this puts Kilgore and looney on notice if I remember correctly Goodwin beat him by a hair for thestarting center job

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LANiner wrote:
this puts Kilgore and looney on notice if I remember correctly Goodwin beat him by a hair for thestarting center job

I think in the long-term sense it puts Kilgore and Looney on notice, because if they don't beat out Adam Snyder for the guard primary backup role, it likely means that they aren't expected to be starters at any point in the future (at which point in the next draft or two we'll likely try and find better backups). Short-term, I don't think it means anything to either as I cannot imagine a scenario where we keep only 7 offensive linemen. That's way too thin. And unless we get a monumental push from guys like Bykowski (a 7th rounder) or Marquardt (an undrafted rookie), neither are going anywhere as there's seemingly no competition for the 8th spot.

I think the person it MOST puts on short-term notice is Parys Haralson. Haralson was already a pricier bubble guy, even with the pay reduction. With the addition of Lemonier and Carradine, he really also finds himself as just the backup OLB, not really a backup pass-rusher. We don't really need a back-up OLB. We need backup pass-rushers. If we need to create cap space for the 53, he's as likely a choice as anyone (Manningham and Asomugha come to mind as well).

My thoughts, or at least hopes for Snyder's ideal role is the 8th lineman. Possibly the inactive lineman. Basically he's insurance. If Davis or Staley goes down, move Boone over to tackle and Kilgore or Looney in at guard (I remember Kilgore looking decent in limited work, so I'm really pretty happy with him). If it's an injury that will keep either out for at least a game, or if Boone gets injured at guard, activate Snyder for the next game and keep him as the backup tackle. I know it sounds like a lot of cap going to an inactive player, but ideally he'll never play anyway (having all 5 starters play healthy every snap). But this would mean there's still faith in our young linemen, and we still have an emergency tackle in Boone always active. The only problem that would arise would be if Boone and a tackle got injured, but that's already spelling disaster at that point. Either way - one of the 8 will be inactive on gamedays. I'd just rather hope it'd be Snyder unless an injury kept someone out a game, in which case they'd be the inactive lineman.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
LANiner wrote:

I think in the long-term sense it puts Kilgore and Looney on notice, because if they don't beat out Adam Snyder for the guard primary backup role, it likely means that they aren't expected to be starters at any point in the future (at which point in the next draft or two we'll likely try and find better backups). Short-term, I don't think it means anything to either as I cannot imagine a scenario where we keep only 7 offensive linemen. That's way too thin. And unless we get a monumental push from guys like Bykowski (a 7th rounder) or Marquardt (an undrafted rookie), neither are going anywhere as there's seemingly no competition for the 8th spot.

I think the person it MOST puts on short-term notice is Parys Haralson. Haralson was already a pricier bubble guy, even with the pay reduction. With the addition of Lemonier and Carradine, he really also finds himself as just the backup OLB, not really a backup pass-rusher. We don't really need a back-up OLB. We need backup pass-rushers. If we need to create cap space for the 53, he's as likely a choice as anyone (Manningham and Asomugha come to mind as well).

My thoughts, or at least hopes for Snyder's ideal role is the 8th lineman. Possibly the inactive lineman. Basically he's insurance. If Davis or Staley goes down, move Boone over to tackle and Kilgore or Looney in at guard (I remember Kilgore looking decent in limited work, so I'm really pretty happy with him). If it's an injury that will keep either out for at least a game, or if Boone gets injured at guard, activate Snyder for the next game and keep him as the backup tackle. I know it sounds like a lot of cap going to an inactive player, but ideally he'll never play anyway (having all 5 starters play healthy every snap). But this would mean there's still faith in our young linemen, and we still have an emergency tackle in Boone always active. The only problem that would arise would be if Boone and a tackle got injured, but that's already spelling disaster at that point. Either way - one of the 8 will be inactive on gamedays. I'd just rather hope it'd be Snyder unless an injury kept someone out a game, in which case they'd be the inactive lineman.

The question I need to see answered is "Is Kilgore a better G than Snyder is a tackle?". OK, Snyder's not much of a tackle, but I think the jury is still out on Kilgore and Looney. I still prefer to keep boone at OG, especially if he improves any this year. He was amazing given it was his first year - ever, at te position. I still the the o-line as a unit is better if they only have to substitute one guy at tackle if Davis or Staley gets hurt rather than taking Boone out of a position he is beccoming excellent at and also then putting in a new G. That would make two changes in the line and that's always a bad thing.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
The question I need to see answered is "Is Kilgore a better G than Snyder is a tackle?". OK, Snyder's not much of a tackle, but I think the jury is still out on Kilgore and Looney. I still prefer to keep boone at OG, especially if he improves any this year. He was amazing given it was his first year - ever, at te position. I still the the o-line as a unit is better if they only have to substitute one guy at tackle if Davis or Staley gets hurt rather than taking Boone out of a position he is beccoming excellent at and also then putting in a new G. That would make two changes in the line and that's always a bad thing.

I get what you're saying - but in the proposal I mention, it would only have to be for the remainder of the current game. Otherwise, one of Kilgore/Looney are likely to end up inactive and that'll further stunt their development. After all, in my opinion, if Kilgore is the preferable replacement guard over Snyder, I'd much rather have Boone over Snyder at tackle and Kilgore over Snyder at guard, regardless of what happens.

Plus - let's say Staley gets injured. Would you rather Snyder be protecting Kaepernick's blindside, or would you rather slide Davis over to left tackle and put Snyder in at right tackle? To me, I'd far prefer Davis to Snyder at the important position, and again that's replacing two players at once.

I just know what we have in Snyder, and my hope is that Kilgore is already a better player. If that's the case, I'd rather have the 5 best players playing than continuity. But that's simply my opinion - I can see why one would prefer continuity.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 317
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 1045
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I get what you're saying - but in the proposal I mention, it would only have to be for the remainder of the current game. Otherwise, one of Kilgore/Looney are likely to end up inactive and that'll further stunt their development. After all, in my opinion, if Kilgore is the preferable replacement guard over Snyder, I'd much rather have Boone over Snyder at tackle and Kilgore over Snyder at guard, regardless of what happens.

Plus - let's say Staley gets injured. Would you rather Snyder be protecting Kaepernick's blindside, or would you rather slide Davis over to left tackle and put Snyder in at right tackle? To me, I'd far prefer Davis to Snyder at the important position, and again that's replacing two players at once.

I just know what we have in Snyder, and my hope is that Kilgore is already a better player. If that's the case, I'd rather have the 5 best players playing than continuity. But that's simply my opinion - I can see why one would prefer continuity.

I agree with all this. I'm just saying I don't know how high of a ceiling Kilgore or Looney has. We all hope it's higher than Snyder. But if not ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: