Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Punter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
I doubt Podlesh goes anywhere…remember it was DeCamillis is Jacksonville who worked with Podlesh as a rookie and more than likely had a big say in his drafting.
Podlesh had a pretty crappy year ranking 19th in net avg. Since our special teams gave up very few return yards I would have expected him to rank higher. He does put the ball inside the 20 better than almost all other punters but will that be as important to an offensive minded coach?
Yes, field position is going to be extremely important to an offensive minded coach.
With Smith the offense was so inept that field position was critical. With Trestman I don't expect that to be the case.
As an offensive minded coach, you want to make the opponent work as hard as possible to score to match yours, thus field position is extremely important. Net AVG is the most overrated Punter stat. Punting is all about keeping opponents inside the 20.

Agree, although you need a guy who can get you out of your own end zone too. A guy who can pin the opponent inside the 10 from midfield is huge, but a guy who gives the opponent the ball at our 40 when we punt from our own 10 will kill us.
Some punters can put the opponent inside their 20 from OUR 20. GB's punting has killed us and Seattle did a number on us last year if I remember correctly. I do remember four to five games where we lost the punting battle.

I also seem to recall the drive to get rid of Maynard did not allow his good punting inside the 20 to halt it.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
I doubt Podlesh goes anywhere…remember it was DeCamillis is Jacksonville who worked with Podlesh as a rookie and more than likely had a big say in his drafting.
Podlesh had a pretty crappy year ranking 19th in net avg. Since our special teams gave up very few return yards I would have expected him to rank higher. He does put the ball inside the 20 better than almost all other punters but will that be as important to an offensive minded coach?
Yes, field position is going to be extremely important to an offensive minded coach.
With Smith the offense was so inept that field position was critical. With Trestman I don't expect that to be the case.
As an offensive minded coach, you want to make the opponent work as hard as possible to score to match yours, thus field position is extremely important. Net AVG is the most overrated Punter stat. Punting is all about keeping opponents inside the 20.

Agree, although you need a guy who can get you out of your own end zone too. A guy who can pin the opponent inside the 10 from midfield is huge, but a guy who gives the opponent the ball at our 40 when we punt from our own 10 will kill us.
Some punters can put the opponent inside their 20 from OUR 20. GB's punting has killed us and Seattle did a number on us last year if I remember correctly. I do remember four to five games where we lost the punting battle.

I also seem to recall the drive to get rid of Maynard did not allow his good punting inside the 20 to halt it.

That's because he couldn't get us out of our own end of the field. Nobody ever had a problem with him pinning teams back inside their own 20. He was just only good at half of the job.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Punter? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Do any of the UDFA's have a chance to stick?

Seeing as how the Bears had the most UDFAs on their roster in the entire league during Angelo's last year in 2011, I hope not.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

That's because he couldn't get us out of our own end of the field. Nobody ever had a problem with him pinning teams back inside their own 20. He was just only good at half of the job.
I was not that happy with Podelast last year either. We need to at least hold our own with the opponent's punter. Hopefully the Oklahoma kid can give him competition.

Why aren't there dozens or hundreds of great punters to chose from, is it really that hard?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: