Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Odd comments from Batch on Landry Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisororke

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers said that their trade up for Shamarko Thomas was pending on if he was there. Nassib went a pick ahead so they were never interested in him.

That being said, it says to me Landry was the pick or even a Barkley if he fell to them in the 4th round with their regular sheduled pick. It says a lot they took a QB and spent so much time scouting them this year.

Ill keep saying it Ben is a depreciating asset and he is the guy who would retire on you after this contract if he keeps getting hurt and then you're screwed. If you have to pay him 100M at age 32 next year if that's when the extension goes down that is a terrible deal and you are screwed. Basically, you are screwed and the only way to not be screwed is if you take a guy and he turns out to be a good guy and I think that's the case with Landry.

Chas is right. Paying Ben big bucks at 34, 35, 36 is really just bad business. Once Ben can't move anymore he will have NO VALUE bc he's a scrambler and creator not a 3 step drop and out guy. That's why the Steelers have been investing in OL and changing the offense to prolong his career as long as possible. It is hated but if they don't make the playoffs I would trade Big Ben to Arizona.

You would get a nice return for him bc BA loves him. We would have financial flexibility (25M to sign other guys) and I think Ben only has 3 years left after this year. An extension makes no sense to me unless it is for two years, but I can imagine he wants an Aaron Rodgers 5yr/110M deal. If the Steelers are smart and I think they are bc they took Jones, then this will get VERY UGLY
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Dracula58 wrote:

Ben needs to embrace the offense not "put up" with it... Ben was looking good before injury and IMO we were heading in the right direction...

I want Ben to take control of the offense and run the hell out of it.

amen!

Amen Amen.

And I dont see anything wrong with what Batch said.

In fact, this was pretty much the exact point of the thread I made regarding signing Ben to another lucrative extension, especially considering his health. Alot of people seem content on overlooking it, but if we do sign Ben long term and he gets worse or injured often, the same people saying "extend him" without hesitation are going to be the same people bashing the front office if he isnt playing at a high level most of that contract.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alot of people seem content on overlooking it, but if we do sign Ben long term and he gets worse or injured often, the same people saying "extend him" without hesitation are going to be the same people bashing the front office if he isnt playing at a high level most of that contract.

Anyone who thinks you dump a franchise QB without a sure thing to replace him is clueless.

Quote:

Ill keep saying it Ben is a depreciating asset and he is the guy who would retire on you after this contract if he keeps getting hurt and then you're screwed.

A guy who said from day 1 that he was drafted that his goal was to be the greatest ever is going to upright and retire because he gets banged up?

Quote:
Once Ben can't move anymore he will have NO VALUE bc he's a scrambler and creator not a 3 step drop and out guy. That's why the Steelers have been investing in OL and changing the offense to prolong his career as long as possible. It is hated but if they don't make the playoffs I would trade Big Ben to Arizona.

Roethlisberger does most of his damage from the pocket.

Quote:
but I can imagine he wants an Aaron Rodgers 5yr/110M deal.

I doubt the team is looking to extend him until he is 39, or that Roethlisberger would demand it.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Anyone who thinks you dump a franchise QB without a sure thing to replace him is clueless.

Perhaps you should learn how to read because I never ONCE said we should dump him. Not ONCE.

I said that his age and injury history makes it worriesome to give him another long extension in the long run.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said people would backtrack who would support it at the time. I'm capable of entertaining opposing thoughts at the same time, so I understand others do the same. It wasn't a shot at you.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
The pick sure have confuse a lot of us.

For example;

Landry Jones' wife play with Big Ben's sister on basketball squad.

Coincidence?

I mean we all already knew that Landry Jones have Christian Ponder's ceiling, not much of upside. So its hard to see that landry will become a franchise quarterback.

Is this serious... or a joke????

Hope it's a joke.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
treat88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

Perhaps you should learn how to read because I never ONCE said we should dump him. Not ONCE.

I said that his age and injury history makes it worriesome to give him another long extension in the long run.

I understand the concerns.

But, there is no way around the salary cap issue.

We apparently agree that they essentially have to give him an extension to alleviate the upcoming cap hits. Injury and age worries or no.

The extension in and of itself is not so important as how the extension is structured. They can certainly frontload the deal ala Rodgers recent contract and leave themselves reasonable ways out of the end seasons if he does decline.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Of course it was a joke. I just find that to be interesting, obviously it has nothing to do with this, JDLefebvre.

Also is it just me or does landry jones remind you a lot like Neil O'Donnell???
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His opinion means nothing, teams have been successful getting multiple picks for quarterbacks who have one or two half decent games. Its very smart.

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
Entropy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
Dracula58 wrote:

Ben needs to embrace the offense not "put up" with it... Ben was looking good before injury and IMO we were heading in the right direction...

I want Ben to take control of the offense and run the hell out of it.

amen!

Amen Amen.

And I dont see anything wrong with what Batch said.

In fact, this was pretty much the exact point of the thread I made regarding signing Ben to another lucrative extension, especially considering his health. Alot of people seem content on overlooking it, but if we do sign Ben long term and he gets worse or injured often, the same people saying "extend him" without hesitation are going to be the same people bashing the front office if he isnt playing at a high level most of that contract.

If you don't mind me saying (and I don't think you will), Landry is a project that has some pretty good upside--very nice arm talent.

So Ben is still a very good QB, but he's 31--maybe a little more injury-prone, and it's a great time to start working on his replacement. He's still the starter for the foreseeable future and Jones only cost a 4th round pick...even if Jones doesn't develop into a starter in 3-4 years, you'll have other opportunities to get a starter and you'll still likely have a good backup.

I see nothing wrong with what Batch said, or this whole situation.

And no, I don't want to have a debate about football with you. I just thought you were pretty respectful to me and I wanted to do that same for you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: