Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4-120: MINN - Gerald Hodges [LB] Penn State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a competition for the LB job.

Last year the team played with alot of below average players starting: Brinkely, Guion, Robinson, "WR#2". *

This year we're looking at maybe one LB & everything else has been upgraded.

*ignored the QB position for now

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

Last year the team played with alot of below average players starting: Brinkely, Guion, Robinson, "WR#2". *

Which LB job?

I agree that MLB and WLB should be open to whoever wins the competition.

But, practically speaking, the vets will most likely start at MLB and WLB early in the year, to avoid rookie mistakes.

Who called the D signals last year? Brinkley? Greenway?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

We still dont know how the 3rd Linebacker spot will play out for certain, for all we know, that player could have a Josh Robinson like rookie season. A bit all over the place and lacking consistency.

The DT spot wasnt really addressed in the sense that MN really needed a run stuffing one technique player who can split double teams. Guion or Evans will still be in that role, unless Floyd or Williams takes that spot.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
That $12 million signing bonus figure is usually spread out over the life of the contract. they wont take a $12M cap hit in 2013.

As for Hodges, I am not sure how i feel giving a late 4th rd pick such a big role as a three down starter. Its isnt conventional, but if he deserves to be on the field for three downs, so be it. I would consider that best case scenario.

The decision will be based, as you alluded to in the latter part of the bold type part of your post, on cover skill, not draft position.

Henderson's cover skill << Hodges cover skill. Correct?

The first few games may be a bit rough for the young LBs, but that's to be expected for all rookies in the NFL.

Right, but as i said, its usually not conventional for a late 4th round pick to come in an be a three down starter. im speaking purely in statistical terms, not in actuality. Im simply saying it may be a long shot based on the standard expectations of a 4th rd pick. Draft status is irrelevant once you are drafted and competing, for the most part. But i think we can reasonably conclude what Hodges role is most likely to be based on what is typical of late fourth round picks.

Id guess that its Marvin Mitchell's job to lose unless Hodges stands out, but even then, i fully expect Henderson to be the three down starter and calling the signals. which i believe he did last year.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Who called the D signals last year? Brinkley? Greenway?

Henderson did.
Robb_K

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Right, but as i said, its usually not conventional for a late 4th round pick to come in an be a three down starter. im speaking purely in statistical terms, not in actuality. I'm simply saying it may be a long shot based on the standard expectations of a 4th rd pick. Draft status is irrelevant once you are drafted and competing, for the most part. But i think we can reasonably conclude what Hodges role is most likely to be based on what is typical of late fourth round picks.

Id guess that its Marvin Mitchell's job to lose unless Hodges stands out, but even then, i fully expect Henderson to be the three down starter and calling the signals. which i believe he did last year.

This draft was so deep that Hodges, and players of his level were pushed way down (some as much as a full round, or even a round and a half. based on his athletic abilities and skills at his position, I'd place Hodges near the top of the 3rd Round in an average year, and even as high as lower 2nd Round in a weak draft.

Players of his calibre sometimes win starting roles, even as a rookie. Of course, more often, they ride the bench and play 2nd string for the whole season, or, at least half a season or so.

Unfortunately, The Vikings have only Greenway as a really solid LB starter. So, Hodges has a chance to compete for a starting job. Same is true for Mauti. Both may end up as a starter later in the season. I doubt that either starts in the first game. Their play this season will go a long way to help The Vikings decide which round in the 2014 draft, that they will draft a linebacker, and whether or not to sign a FA backer.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on Hodges, I thought he was a 3rd round caliber prospect as well. And if things remain uchanged from now until the season, Hodges does stand a good shot of starting. I dont believe Mauti has much of a chance since Henderson seems destined to start at MLB. I would guess that Audie Cole is also ahead of Mauti as well.

For now, i think Mitchell will be the favorite unless Hodges takes the job from him during camp and preseason. Id love to see Hodges start though at WLB but i would still guess that the vet Henderson will still be the three down LB to go with Greenway.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#Vikings get one under contract RT @g_hodges6: I got called up to sign my contract after my workout pic.twitter.com/vtRqc9uy4i

www.twitter.com/VikingsUpdate

1st one signed for the Vikings of all their rookies.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dam has been breached; time for the cascade of signings.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TomPelissero: Gerald Hodges' contract with #Vikings is four years, $2,580,108 with $420,108 to sign, per source.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linebacker Gerald Hodges posted a photo of himself on Twitter signing his contract late Wednesday morning at Winter Park.

Hodges: "Happiest moment of my life."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Linebacker_Gerald_Hodges_kicks_off_signings_of_Vikings_draft_picks051413

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald Hodges has spent much of his time since being drafted by the Minnesota Vikings at the team's facilities, working out as part of the team's conditioning program.

Hodges, drafted in the fourth round, has been getting to know his new teammates, but there is one meeting he has been looking forward to the most. It's one meeting, maybe collision, that won't happen until well into this summer, maybe even as late as training camp.

Hodges, the Penn State linebacker trying to prove he can earn a starting assignment in his rookie year, has been looking forward to going up against MVP running back Adrian Peterson.

"He's one of the greatest running backs, so I'm excited," Hodges said during the team's rookie minicamp earlier this month. "I'm excited to get ready to go. I could play football. He could play football. So I'm ready to go. Not taking anything away from him, obviously, but I'm ready to just play football. He's an NFL running back, so my job is to tackle NFL running backs. So that's what I've got to do when it comes time."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/story/Hodges-wants-starting-job-shot-at-Peters?blockID=905803
Shorty McFast

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I could play football. He could play football. So I'm ready to go.

This is what happens when you can't imagine someone being as good as Peterson. He's going get worked hard by AD. LOL
Smidge of Hope

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Cowboys "leaked" 2013 NFL draft board the Cowboys had Hodges ranked as a third round prospect which we got in the fourth round and Everett Dawkins as a third rounder that we picked up in the seventh round.

If this is real then the Cowboys must have been impressed with the Vikings draft.

The title of the story "mistakes were made" seems to be referring to the Cowboys not taking Dawkins. There is even a picture of him in a Vikings uniform.

Fifth Round Summary: The Cowboys could have gone with defensive tackle Everett Dawkins here, whom they also had a third round grade on. Dawkins will fall all the way down into the seventh round, so they have another shot.

Sixth Round Summary:
But third round graded defensive tackle Everett [b]Dawkins made perfect sense here.

Final Summary:
Hindsight is 20/20. But in the end, defensive tackle Everett Dawkins should have been their icing on the cake…and that’s from reading their own draft board!

http://thelandryhat.com/2013/05/31/cowboys-draft-board-leaked-mistakes-were-made/3/
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ i read over the Cowboys' draft board thing too. the biggest what the hell is that they had the guy they picked in the 1st round listed as a 2nd round prospect.

huh?

the Cowboys also listed Cordarrelle Patterson as their top prospective WR.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: