Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What 2014 Prospects are you watching closely in 2013?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJtheWicked

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a list of guys I will be following closely this season:
http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/fsu-m-footbl-mtt.html

Cool

Go Noles!
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Barr, although he probably won't make it out of the top 10
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony barr's kind of why I wanted us to wait on OLB until next year lol but and then he won't be available by our pick anyway.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Well my hope is that the team doesn't need to draft an OT high in the draft next year again, so I'll take OT off the board in round 1 for now. I'm hoping it's more of a mid round need.

1. Marqise Lee, WR, USC
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
3. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
4. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
5. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
6. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
7. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
9. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
10. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee
11. HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
12. Anthony Johnson, DE/DE, LSU
13. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
14. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
15. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
16. Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

When I look at the Steelers roster, I see a lot of youth on the offensive side of the ball but for Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller.

When I look at the defense, I still see several aging players. The defense still plays well, year in, year out, but it's time to start replacing these players with 1st round and 2nd round studs. The team started the process the a few years ago by drafting Woodley, Timmons, Hood, Heyward and now Jones. I think next year the 1st round defensive player trend continues unless the team has to replace Emmanuel Sanders because he leaves in FA, or "if" Marquise Lee, Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Sammy Watkins ends up being a late first round draft pick.

I see the Steelers drafting around where they drafted this year, hopefully in the 20's though and not the late teens... Wink

I really like that list. The guys I bolded are the guys I think would have the highest and most immediate impact for the Steelers, Purifoy imo would initially be a KR/PR with his speed.
I wouldn't be surprised if after this season the Steelers lose 3 of their 4 starting DBs (Taylor, Polumalu and Clark). It wouldn't shock me at all if DB is taken in round 1, that's why I included a lot of them, and at this point next years draft class appears to be CB deep and top heavy as well.

1. I think Cortez Allen will prove he's worthy of being a starter this season.

2.Hope Curtis Brown can finally stay healthy and can prove he can at worst be the teams nickel cb, if not future starter next to Allen.

3. I think Shamarko Thomas will show well enough that the team feels he can be the future at SS, if/when Troy is gone.

They'd probably need another starting cb and a starting FS next year. The good news is that next year, I believe the Steelers will have more cap room to sign a younger FS upgrade.

I like Haha Clinton-Nix. If he's available when the steelers select, he could come in and start day 1 at FS with Shamarko Thomas at SS, "IF" Polumalu and Clark are gone after this season.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2014charlie_1.php

Quote:
Clinton-Dix had a breakout season in 2012 as a platoon player. The sophomore totaled 37 tackles with five interceptions, four passes broken up and a forced fumble.

The 6-foot-1, 209-pound safety is very good in pass coverage. He covers a lot of ground, defends big receivers and has ball skills. With Robert Lester moving on to the NFL, Clinton-Dix is expected to be the difference-maker in the Alabama secondary. The Crimson Tide has produced a lot of good defensive backs and Clinton-Dix looks like the next star to come out of Alabama's secondary.

Then there is also:

Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford

Quote:
Reynolds was one of the top safeties in college football in 2012. The junior had six interceptions with five passes broken up and 37 tackles. It was his first season as a starter. The 6-foot-2, 207-pounder has a nice skill set and good instincts to make impact plays.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Thomas can play FS as well as SS. I think Cortez Allen is a legit DB, so I agree on that. I think Troy can slide over to FS and extend his career a bit. Curtis Brown may be on the Keenan Lewis career track. And the team has some nice developmental guys as well as Gay, who they trust.

This team got to the Super Bowl rotating Gay/Townsend as the starters. If the pass rush is legit, you don't need great CB's across the board in Lebeau's scheme. The next few years are about maximizing the Super Bowl window with Roethlisberger.

I expect a safety to be drafted before they touch another CB at a high round, but the talent is there in the secondary and I think Lake can develop it. He will be the future DC unless another team steals him.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I think Thomas can play FS as well as SS. I think Cortez Allen is a legit DB, so I agree on that. I think Troy can slide over to FS and extend his career a bit. Curtis Brown may be on the Keenan Lewis career track. And the team has some nice developmental guys as well as Gay, who they trust.

This team got to the Super Bowl rotating Gay/Townsend as the starters. If the pass rush is legit, you don't need great CB's across the board in Lebeau's scheme. The next few years are about maximizing the Super Bowl window with Roethlisberger.

I expect a safety to be drafted before they touch another CB at a high round, but the talent is there in the secondary and I think Lake can develop it. He will be the future DC unless another team steals him.
I don't believe Shamarko Thomas has ever played FS, but I think you are correct about Troy. You make good points about the pass rush being able to cover up for average cb play, but if DB is the best available when the Steelers pick next year, I expect them to draft one in round 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamarko can be a free safety, just not as effecient as the hybrid role he will adapt with us. That being said i'd like for us to get a centerfielder that we haven't seen since Chris Hope last played for the team.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas played everywhere for Syracuse. He played deep, nickel, LB...If a guy has the intelligence/instincts and physical ability, he can play both safety spots. I think Thomas was the most valued safety they had in this class, and I think they will play him in either spot.

Contract wise, Clark is a FA after this year. They have a high level of confidence in Thomas. I have to think they believe they have two safeties going into next season with Troy and Thomas. Thomas would be a perfect SS in this system, just short of Troy, but if you have both what do you do? Move the old man or play the young guy out of position? I can't see Clark getting another contract, as good as he's been.

They don't draft DB's to start right away, so I agree if the right guy is there next year he could easily be the pick. But I don't think it will be the top need necessarily. I hope it isn't, as well.

For a weak draft class, I love the picks they made. If Worilds busts out, you can move the extra guy inside even. The skill positions are the weakest area I see right now still. Miller is making WAY TOO MUCH money for what he brings to the table.

Last off-season showed a lot can change in one year, but I'm watching WR's/TE's first.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Golden or Curtis Brown at FS, and Shamarko is our SS since he plays a hybrid role like Troy ideally well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: