Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Last year = big savings???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlon40

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Last year = big savings??? Reply with quote

Looking through the roster, what veterans do you think will be playing their last year as Steelers? The cap situation looks bad again, but with the veterans that won't be brought back, the Steelers could be looking at far more financial space than they have had in recent years, eventually.

The one surprise player, who is younger, and who I don't think will be back after 2013...is LaMarr Woodley. I have never been much of a Woodley fan, though there was a span of successive games two seasons ago when he was clearly proving me wrong....not so much since. I see another poor and out-of-shape season leading to calls for his release.

The rest of the question marks, and the true focus/question within this post, are aging players that have made a bit of money within this organization to date: Ike Taylor, Troy Polamalu, Ryan, Clark, Brett Kiesel, and Larry Foote, on defense. On offense, you could argue that Health Miller and Big Ben may be the only comparable players to the defensive veterans mentioned. We are much younger, and less salary inflated on that side of the ball, though I see the solid but overrated Pouncey costing them a pretty penny next year.

Who do you think will be gone, and who do you think will remain (obviously Ben, for one that is definitely to stay)...?...
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodley is here for at least 2 more years...probably all 3 remaining years on his deal due to the restructuring of his deal multiple times...too much dead $$$.

The Steelers cap woes are overblown...kinda tight against the cap yes but that's the way it is with paying a franchise QB.

Only a few "bad" contracts remain...Woodleys unless he goes back to form from 2 years ago...Troys with 2 years $10 mill per unless he also goes back to form and Ike.

Ike's isn't bad per say but just a high cap figure for an older player, think its $9 mill or so this year and next.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike is 9.5 this year, 10.5 next. Keisel is probably in his last season. I think ziggy is up for extension as well
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if it was here or another site, but I read that John Clayton reported that we're beginning to see the exit of our cap hell. He said we should be sitting pretty after next season.

gopherwrestler makes sigs I wanna make sweet love to
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important FA's:
Keisel
Clark
Z. Hood
Sanders
Worilds

You have to think they let Clark/Keisel walk, with Clark being a guy who could possibly return if he does so on the cheap. I think the team brings back Hood.

Guys the team should be looking to extend:
Roethlisberger
Pouncey

Potential cap casualties:
Taylor
Miller
Polamalu

I could see all three of these guys getting cut in the right circumstances. If Troy misses a lot of time again, he gets kicked to the curb. Maybe some of that money is used to keep a more reliable Clark another year or two until a young guy can take the job. Miller is simply too expensive at a position a rookie could step in and replace almost right away. Maybe extend him.

Taylor is interesting. I could see him being extended like Farrior was, despite his age. He is well conditioned, a leader and there isn't an obvious replacement.

Really, I think the bloodletting is pretty much over from a cap standpoint. Maybe one or two more guys go.
rlon40

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Important FA's:
Keisel
Clark
Z. Hood$$$$$$$
Sanders
Worilds
////////

Ziggy Hood was just a bad first round pick, as he doesn't fit the system. He is an average to good player, but I personally wouldn't advocate paying him more than a mill per annum if they keep him. I think that the steelers will be looking hard at corners, tight ends, inside linebackers, and 3-4 ends next year, in the draft. Of course, I personally hope for a 2014 DL of Heyward, Taamu, and McLendon, with Steve shifting to end by then.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlon40 wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:
Important FA's:
Keisel
Clark
Z. Hood$$$$$$$
Sanders
Worilds
////////

Ziggy Hood was just a bad first round pick, as he doesn't fit the system. He is an average to good player, but I personally wouldn't advocate paying him more than a mill per annum if they keep him. I think that the steelers will be looking hard at corners, tight ends, inside linebackers, and 3-4 ends next year, in the draft. Of course, I personally hope for a 2014 DL of Heyward, Taamu, and McLendon, with Steve shifting to end by then.

A mil person season is backup pay.

Like Hood or not, he is worth more than a backup.

I sure wouldnt break the bank on him, but Id rather have him starting than McLendon.

I think McLendon would be a better end than NT, but he still isnt starter quality...at least not based on what he has shown thus far.

Only way Id let Hood walk is if someone really steps up, which I dont see. Like I said, while you can do better than Hood, you can definitely do worse as well.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Hampton gone, a lot of DL questions will answer themselves this year. One injury, and Heyward or Ta'amu starts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: