Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens re-sign OT Bryant McKinnie to a 2-year, $7M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6624
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


Well that's just not true.

Still, it's nice to see us do something for our offense this offseason besides drafting a FB with our 5th draft pick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29223
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to trust a guy like McKinnie but it sounds like the contract is incentivized, so if he makes bank, it'll be because he earned it. With how much debt he's in, he needs the money and hopefully that serves as enough motivation.

Him and KO have a good relationship and hopefully the strong partnership they showed in the playoff run is a sign of things to come. Just having him around to throw Oher at RT and keep KO at LG is the biggest plus of the move. Even if he's just average at left tackle, that's all we really need from him because his presence improves two other positions on the line. Cautiously optimistic; hopefully he can stick with Harbaugh's program and give us at least one more year. As far as stopgap solutions go, this was probably our best bet, though I'm still a little mystified as to why no one is giving Max Starks a shot.
_________________
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13813
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a gamble but a gamble that's worth taking for the Ravens.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Boltstrikes


Moderator
Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 6055
Location: LA MIRADA, CA
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenos wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

It's not a dead land. FA will come because of the Benjamins. Did you forget the amount of free agents we signed last year?


Yes we lost Jackson and got Royal and Meachem. Neither of which did anything to help us win games last year.
_________________


EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 33180
Location: Jortland, Oregon<3
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenos wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

It's not a dead land. FA will come because of the Benjamins. Did you forget the amount of free agents we signed last year?


Eli Manning says different Laughing

San Diego is a dead sports town, you would think in theory cause of the women and weather it would be the spot for free agents, but its just not. Its like one of those places thats its soooo expensive to live for every one , even the rich cause of taxes and property taxes , and its just to mild of a city in return for the buck your spending, from the weather to the night life, its always what it is, mild... like way to mild. IT seeems you get so much more bang for your buck in San Francisco or LA, that if your coming to Cali as a athlete and are going to pay for it, you wanna be where the real action is.
_________________

Sig/Art by The Great Silo
#championCHIP #CHIPlife #Sparkles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
The LBC


Global Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 23384
Location: Where We Can't Have Nice Things
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Xenos wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

It's not a dead land. FA will come because of the Benjamins. Did you forget the amount of free agents we signed last year?


Eli Manning says different Laughing

San Diego is a dead sports town, you would think in theory cause of the women and weather it would be the spot for free agents, but its just not. Its like one of those places thats its soooo expensive to live for every one , even the rich cause of taxes and property taxes , and its just to mild of a city in return for the buck your spending, from the weather to the night life, its always what it is, mild... like way to mild. IT seeems you get so much more bang for your buck in San Francisco or LA, that if your coming to Cali as a athlete and are going to pay for it, you wanna be where the real action is.

Wow... that was an incredible generalization. In fact, many incredible generalizations. So glad we can pigeonhole so easily because everything so obviously fits into such small boxes. Wink
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JAX Troll 90


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 762
Location: 460
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
San Diego is a dead sports town, you would think in theory cause of the women and weather it would be the spot for free agents, but its just not. Its like one of those places thats its soooo expensive to live for every one , even the rich cause of taxes and property taxes , and its just to mild of a city in return for the buck your spending, from the weather to the night life, its always what it is, mild... like way to mild. IT seeems you get so much more bang for your buck in San Francisco or LA, that if your coming to Cali as a athlete and are going to pay for it, you wanna be where the real action is.

Wow... that was an incredible generalization. In fact, many incredible generalizations. So glad we can pigeonhole so easily because everything so obviously fits into such small boxes. Wink

Friend of mine called San Diego the greatest city in the world. He also said it was named after a whale...

On-topic-er: Sport puts us in some funny places with regard to our fellow man, dunnit?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
With how much debt he's in, he needs the money and hopefully that serves as enough motivation.

That's meant to read as a happy thing, I think.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rayvens52


Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 910
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


Well that's just not true.

Still, it's nice to see us do something for our offense this offseason besides drafting a FB with our 5th draft pick.
Yes, because offense was our major problem last year why on earth wouldn't we draft some offensive players. We didn't allow any 200 yard rushers last year and this draft wasn't even deep defensively.

What was Ozzie thinking?
_________________


Thanks to mike23md on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6624
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rayvens52 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


Well that's just not true.

Still, it's nice to see us do something for our offense this offseason besides drafting a FB with our 5th draft pick.
Yes, because offense was our major problem last year why on earth wouldn't we draft some offensive players. We didn't allow any 200 yard rushers last year and this draft wasn't even deep defensively.

What was Ozzie thinking?


I'm pretty sure you missed my tone. But if you're implying that our offense was leaps and bounds above our defense you're wrong. Both were pretty good during the regular season and then played great during the postseason.

I'm not at all disappointed by the emphasis on the defense; I'd much rather have a great defense and a decent offense for our team. However, you can't deny it's interesting to see us sign Doom, Canty, Huff, and Spears (and a LB I have little hope for), and then draft defense 4 straight times, when the biggest move we had on the other side of the ball was dumping Boldin for a 6th.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Integrity


Joined: 09 Mar 2006
Posts: 4202
Location: Columbia
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

I don't think it helps that the state of California's taxation commandeers a healthy chunk of that "rich athlete money" that they never get a chance to spend.


That's no different from Maryland really. Taxes here are insane. In my honest opinion, I don't think San Diego or Miami were really that interested in signing McKinnie. His agent probably got him some team visits solely for the purpose of leverage.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22061
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Rayvens52 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."


You should be blessed that McKinnie chose not to sign with you guys.


Yeah, why on Earth would they want a Pro-Bowl caliber OT who just won a Superbowl and didn't allow a single sack in the playoffs?! BLASPHEMY!


Well that's just not true.

Still, it's nice to see us do something for our offense this offseason besides drafting a FB with our 5th draft pick.
Yes, because offense was our major problem last year why on earth wouldn't we draft some offensive players. We didn't allow any 200 yard rushers last year and this draft wasn't even deep defensively.

What was Ozzie thinking?


I'm pretty sure you missed my tone. But if you're implying that our offense was leaps and bounds above our defense you're wrong. Both were pretty good during the regular season and then played great during the postseason.

I'm not at all disappointed by the emphasis on the defense; I'd much rather have a great defense and a decent offense for our team. However, you can't deny it's interesting to see us sign Doom, Canty, Huff, and Spears (and a LB I have little hope for), and then draft defense 4 straight times, when the biggest move we had on the other side of the ball was dumping Boldin for a 6th.


The biggest thing is that our offense has a bunch of young guys here for the long haul. The Canty/Spears/Huff portions are short-term solutions which is why we use the draft picks to come in and be the future. We draft for the long-term, which is why we didn't need to even consider many positions other than depth on the offense, outside of maybe WR, in the draft. On defense, we needed a lot of focus. Not to mention that Ozzie typically brings in his best values later in the off-season anyway.

And not trying to single you out, but I've seen a lot of fans do it so far -- but please don't label Juice a "FB" that we took. He ran the ball 3 times in his entire college career compared to 152 receptions, including having 52 his senior season. He's a TE/H-back in the mold of Dallas Clark.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22061
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

I don't think it helps that the state of California's taxation commandeers a healthy chunk of that "rich athlete money" that they never get a chance to spend.


That's no different from Maryland really. Taxes here are insane. In my honest opinion, I don't think San Diego or Miami were really that interested in signing McKinnie. His agent probably got him some team visits solely for the purpose of leverage.


I actually think it may be the other way around -- McKinnie not really being interested in those teams, but he wanted the leverage so he danced with some other partners to try and gain the leverage. Reports from Miami/SD were that McKinnie seemed to want to return to Baltimore all along.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wackywabbit


Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 6624
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
And not trying to single you out, but I've seen a lot of fans do it so far -- but please don't label Juice a "FB" that we took. He ran the ball 3 times in his entire college career compared to 152 receptions, including having 52 his senior season. He's a TE/H-back in the mold of Dallas Clark.


I'm using the same "label" that Ozzie/Harbaugh used after drafting him and he himself used in the post-draft interviews. I don't expect him to be used the same way we'd use Leach, but if that's what they are all calling his position, then that's what I'll stick with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 3489
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid signing. Good to have him there with KO and Oher.
_________________


PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xenos


Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Posts: 529
Location: State of Nirvana
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
Xenos wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:
New front office, same result. I don't understand why SD is such a dead lands for free agency. Do they not get the fact that we should lead with, reinforce and end with; "you get to live in San Diego on rich athlete money."

It's not a dead land. FA will come because of the Benjamins. Did you forget the amount of free agents we signed last year?


Yes we lost Jackson and got Royal and Meachem. Neither of which did anything to help us win games last year.

The lack of an even mediocre oline hurt us more than losing Jackson IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group