Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

if we lost to Cleveland...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't every player start/play because of necessity???

Confused

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a moot argument, but I think they physically dominated that 2009 game. Ryan called a great game on defense and the Steelers were out-coached. If you look at it, both losses knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs. Hard to find two bigger wins for that franchise over the last decade. I was in a bar watching that 2009 game, and it was probably the only time in my life I ran into a legit Browns fan...

I think Redman's injury has been overlooked. I'm not saying he's a starter, but I think he has more ability than he showed last year. Dwyer has more talent, but we all know the issue there. I expect Bell to pretty much be handed that job.

Lake seems to be the only defensive coach who actually thinks rookies can play in Lebeau's defense year 1, so I think Thomas gets on the field. There isn't a lot of competition for that third safety spot, and a good chance one of the two starters misses time. Maybe even Hawthorne, but he seems rawer.

Wheaton has a chance to play.

To the point of this topic, who did the Steelers actually miss out on because of their draft slot? I don't think they take any of the 5 guys who went ahead of Jones. Bell seems to have been the target in R2, and they had their pick of Brown at ILB. R3 they could have potentially had two of the WR's ahead of Wheaton, but who knows? Jones and Thomas seemed to have been their targets in R4, and beyond that it barely matters.

2006 would have given the team a chance at two good players, but they still ended up with Woodley and Timmons. Not a bad haul. I don't think the team pays Revis what he wanted, so it may have worked out better. Without going back to check, I don't think the loss would have given them a crack at Willis.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

To the point of this topic, who did the Steelers actually miss out on because of their draft slot? I don't think they take any of the 5 guys who went ahead of Jones. Bell seems to have been the target in R2, and they had their pick of Brown at ILB. R3 they could have potentially had two of the WR's ahead of Wheaton, but who knows? Jones and Thomas seemed to have been their targets in R4, and beyond that it barely matters.

I agree.... but 4 months ago more than a few posters in here were adament about wanting to lose to the Browns and get a higher draft pick.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
CKSteeler wrote:

I agree.... but 4 months ago more than a few posters in here were adament about wanting to lose to the Browns and get a higher draft pick.

I think those people were probably recalling what happened when we missed out on Revis and Pat Willis after winning a meaningless game in 2006 against the Bengals.

I still wouldnt ever wish for a loss, but in hindsight, losing that game wouldve likely helped.

Although one COULD make the argument that had we lost that final game, we may have taken Revis, who likely would be gone now.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Although one COULD make the argument that had we lost that final game, we may have taken Revis, who likely would be gone now.

and been a headache for years.... did you all see the rookie contract he signed which was more than what Timmons and the player who went #15 combined! How many holdouts has he had?

Some might say it would've been different cause he was a Pittsburgh kid but I have my doubts

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

and been a headache for years.... did you all see the rookie contract he signed which was more than what Timmons and the player who went #15 combined! How many holdouts has he had?

Some might say it would've been different cause he was a Pittsburgh kid but I have my doubts

EXACTLY!

I dont think that wouldve been the case at all. People talk about hometown discounts and stuff, and while they may happen, its rare....especially when talking about an elite player like Revis.

If he wouldve been elite here, he still wouldve been fishing for the biggest contract he could find. He may have taken a little less here, but I dont think we wouldve ever given him the type of money he was looking for.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

EXACTLY!

I dont think that wouldve been the case at all. People talk about hometown discounts and stuff, and while they may happen, its rare....especially when talking about an elite player like Revis.

If he wouldve been elite here, he still wouldve been fishing for the biggest contract he could find. He may have taken a little less here, but I dont think we wouldve ever given him the type of money he was looking for.

I agree with both of you. In my heart I truly believe that if we could have, we WOULD have drafted Revis. But I do think we would've ultimately regretted it. Things worked out perfectly for us in that 1st round.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: