Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coples to OLB??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now the Richardson pick make sense to me.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do love this.

It makes me think of the Aldon Smith Justin Smith dynamic. Put 2 very good guys on one side and watch the offense try to deal with them. As it stands Coples has around 15lbs on Aldon Smith, and ran pretty much the same 40 as him at the combine. I would put him behind Big Mo who i think is going to be dominant this season. That combo is going to give OC's nightmares. Not to mention Rcihardson and Barnes on the other side.

OLB is kind of a misnomer here, I think we are really going to playing more of a 5-2 like Houston. We would be bringing 5 guys most of the time but I have faith that all of those guys other than Ellis are athletic enough to drop back into a simple zone coverage.

When we bring extra guys it will be Harris or Davis up the middle, but even without that we are basically going to be forcing the Offense into 1v1 blocking as much as possible. LOVE IT
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE-Muhammad Wilkerson
NT-Kenrick Ellis
DT-Sheldon Richardson
OLB-Quinton Coples
MLB-David Harris
WLB-DeMario Davis
OLB-Antwan Barnes/Calvin Pace

CB-Antonio Cromartie
FS-Josh Bush, Antonio Allen????
SS-Dawan Landry
CB-Dee Milliner
CB-Kyle Wilson

Looks like a pretty strong defense to me. That front 7 could be the best we have had under Rex, if these young guys pan out.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsman82 wrote:
I love how media people put such stock into an arbitrary change. It doesn't matter if Coples is listed as a CB or a DT, his responsibility will be the same. Just because he's listed as a LB now doesn't mean he will suddenly have pass coverage duties. He will still rush the passer, but may do it standing up every now and again.

Exactly. Pace wasn't put back in pass coverage that often, and I don't expect Coples will be either. It's a change but really, we should be seeing more of what we saw last year. We could have 3 DL but Coples can move around presnap and can rush either standing up or put his hand in the dirt. Just because his position has changed doesn't mean his job has.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, and what do you guys think Pace would have run in the 40 last year? 5+? Thats how bad our personel was last year or D we are moving a 290lb guy to OLB and getting faster and more athletic compared to last year because of it LOL.
D.Revis24

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coples confirmed the move and said hes 285 right now, and will play at around 280-285 this season.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
rampantjet

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
Coples confirmed the move and said hes 285 right now, and will play at around 280-285 this season.

Perfect.
jimbo1904

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can see our defense being dominant. Under 2 conditions:

We don't turn the ball over 40 times at the QB.
Geno has a decent first year or Sanchez has a rebirth and can actually sustain drives and give our D rest and flip field position.

I have to assume Rex sold this idea to Idzik really hard before and especially at the draft. Now Rex is really on the line to produce- not that his neck wasn't on the line already.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: