Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013 Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAS22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as for Swearinger, the dude manned up on Justin Hunter all game and did a pretty good job all things considered. He has the ability to cover, he may not ever be a centerfielder but he can definitely cover TEs and RBs which is most important for right now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Seems like a good kid though so I hope he can do something.

Quote:
Collin Klein will play quarterback with the Texans.
Klein, a 2012 Heisman Trophy candidate, signed as an undrafted free agent with the Texans on Saturday night. Teams wanted to see him work out as a tight end at the Combine, but he declined. There have also been murmurs that Klein could try and play linebacker or safety. The odds are against Klein.

Not surprised. Montgomery was a head scratcher.

Quote:
Two LSU coaches remarked at the Senior Bowl that they do not believe Texans third-round pick Sam Montgomery is a fit at outside linebacker in a 3-4.
The coaches said he's "definitely not a fit" because they don't think Montgomery is athletic enough to play in space. Reliable Texans writer Lance Zierlein believes fourth-round pick Trevardo Williams has a better chance to play early than third-rounder Montgomery. Montgomery was a value pick at No. 95 overall, but he's not an explosive edge rusher and may be a schematic misfit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:

Quote:
Klein, a 2012 Heisman Trophy candidate, signed as an undrafted free agent with the Texans on Saturday night. Teams wanted to see him work out as a tight end at the Combine, but he declined. There have also been murmurs that Klein could try and play linebacker or safety. The odds are against Klein.

Quote:
Two LSU coaches remarked at the Senior Bowl that they do not believe Texans third-round pick Sam Montgomery is a fit at outside linebacker in a 3-4.
The coaches said he's "definitely not a fit" because they don't think Montgomery is athletic enough to play in space. Reliable Texans writer Lance Zierlein believes fourth-round pick Trevardo Williams has a better chance to play early than third-rounder Montgomery. Montgomery was a value pick at No. 95 overall, but he's not an explosive edge rusher and may be a schematic misfit.

1. My gut says Stephen McGee is our third QB and Keenum goes back to the practice squad. I know I'm influenced by sharing a school with him, but every time I've ever watched McGee I've walked away thinking he was an extremely talented guy with all the tools mentally and physically who has suffered from tremendously bad coaching and surrounding talent (both at A&M and in Dallas). Klein doesn't strike me as having a real shot at making the roster or practice squad.

Further, despite how much Klein was built up as being "such a great guy," I really wasn't impressed by his attitude all through the Heisman ceremony. He knew he wasn't going to win and visibly sulked the entire time. That just seems incredibly weak and petty for a competitive athlete.

2. I've heard so many things from "reputable sources" (including coaches) regarding Montgomery that I don't know what to think. My initial assessment of him was that he was a similar player to Antonio Smith in terms of skillset who would ideally fit as a 4-3 left end but could also add a few pounds and play the five technique.

Based on what I've heard from people who have interviewed "unnamed assistant coaches at LSU," though, he should be a really nice fit at SLB. Reggie Herring gushed about his ability to set the edge versus the run and I think Montgomery has more athleticism than he's receiving credit for. If nothing else, he's a guy who can play left end in our nickel and dime packages to shore up our run defense.

Lance Zierlein had a good point today (and I was only listening to him because J&R had cut to a segment about Collins, which I wasn't interested in listening to anymore because I wanted more draft recapping) that Montgomery's presence might very well be an immediate response to the coaching staff's faith in Mercilus' ability to play the run.

As a side note, I am convinced that either Brooks Reed or Trevardo Williams are going to be our starting ILB next to Cushing this season.
CAS22

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
biggio7 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

1. My gut says Stephen McGee is our third QB and Keenum goes back to the practice squad. I know I'm influenced by sharing a school with him, but every time I've ever watched McGee I've walked away thinking he was an extremely talented guy with all the tools mentally and physically who has suffered from tremendously bad coaching and surrounding talent (both at A&M and in Dallas). Klein doesn't strike me as having a real shot at making the roster or practice squad.

Further, despite how much Klein was built up as being "such a great guy," I really wasn't impressed by his attitude all through the Heisman ceremony. He knew he wasn't going to win and visibly sulked the entire time. That just seems incredibly weak and petty for a competitive athlete.

2. I've heard so many things from "reputable sources" (including coaches) regarding Montgomery that I don't know what to think. My initial assessment of him was that he was a similar player to Antonio Smith in terms of skillset who would ideally fit as a 4-3 left end but could also add a few pounds and play the five technique.

Based on what I've heard from people who have interviewed "unnamed assistant coaches at LSU," though, he should be a really nice fit at SLB. Reggie Herring gushed about his ability to set the edge versus the run and I think Montgomery has more athleticism than he's receiving credit for. If nothing else, he's a guy who can play left end in our nickel and dime packages to shore up our run defense.

Lance Zierlein had a good point today (and I was only listening to him because J&R had cut to a segment about Collins, which I wasn't interested in listening to anymore because I wanted more draft recapping) that Montgomery's presence might very well be an immediate response to the coaching staff's faith in Mercilus' ability to play the run.

As a side note, I am convinced that either Brooks Reed or Trevardo Williams are going to be our starting ILB next to Cushing this season.

Trevardo is solely an outside player. His explosiveness on the edge is what makes him a good player. I think Wade is going for a true OLB by committee with Montgomery and Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 1- DeAndre Hopkins: What more can I say. I literally did a first pump and shouted "YES" from my chair when we picked him in round 1. WR was a huge need and we addressed it. I was shocked Hopkins was on the board when we picked, but glad he was. A+

Round 2- S DJ Swearinger: In round 2 I was hoping Authur Brown would fall to us, but he went 1 pick ahead of us to the Ravens. (Damn Ozzie Newsome Laughing ), so I was hoping we draft a guy like Terron Armstead to address our RT situtation or John Jenkins to give us an option at nose tackle, but we picked Swearinger. I like Swearinger as a prospect, so I wasn't all that mad when we picked him. We need a 3rd safety for the defense and a guy to cover tight ends. Phillips will use him a variety of ways like he did Glover Quin and Swearinger can play both safety positions. He also brings swagger and hard hitting ability to this defense. He will be learning from one of the best safeties ever in Ed Reed too. Whats not to like? B+

Round 3- OT Brennan Williams: Since we didn't go Armstead in round 2, but I was happy we picked Williams in round 3. He has injury problems, but it appears he will be 100 percent by training camp. He also have experience of playing both tackle positions, but is best suited for RT because he doesnt have the feet to handle the speed rushers. RT is a huge need and the Williams/Newton battle will be one to watch in training camp and preseason. B+

Round 3 (comp)- OLB Sam Montgomery: I'm going to be honest. When I first saw that we drafted Montgomery I thought "wow we got a steal. He was once considered a late to early 2nd round pick at one point", but then I realized his comments during the combine in which he said he took plays off and didnt try hard when he played against schools that werent Bama or South Carolina. Wade Phillips plan on using him at OLB, and if he can get Montgomery to play with a high motor every time, then this kid could be a good one. B+

Round 4- OLB Trevardo Williams: The first pick in the draft where I went "what is Rick Smith doing?" We already picked an OLB with our previous pick, and I was not sure why we picked Williams afterwards, but you can never have too many pass rushers. I liked Williams as a prospect. He is very fast for an OLB (fastest 40 time at the combine for a DL) and showed a knack for getting after the QB while at UConn. It appears he will be in the OLB rotation with Montgomery as well if Brooks Reed play some ILB. B

Round 6: OT David Quessenberry: Steal! We traded up in the draft and picked a guy who many people thought he would have been off the board around this time in the draft. He really impressed people at the senior bowl and he could be in the mix at RT also. If that doesn't pan out he could move to guard and I think he could be successful there as well. A

Round 6: WR Alan Bonner: Didn't like the pick. Since we went WR again I was hoping we would picked a more established guy like Cobi Hamilton or even Mark Harrison. I think he either gets cut or will stay on the pratice squad for a while. D

Round 6: DT Chris Jones: This pick intrigues me. I'm glad we went NT late in the draft and Jones was a highly productive player while at Bowling Green. He showed a knack for getting after the QB. (19 TFL, 12.5 sacks his sr. season.) He is not going to wow you with his strength , but he will give you effort every play. If he shows he can get after the QB and stop the run then he should be in the rotation at NT sooner rather than later.

Round 6 (comp): TE Ryan Griffin: I knew Kubiak would draft a TE somewhere in the draft, but I honesty didn't know who Ryan Griffin was. He has very good size (6'6 247 pounds), but he is going to need a lot of development. D

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=522545&start=0

This site has some great folks who put in some excellent work when it comes to post-draft analysis, and I think goldfishwars has one of the best I've read in a long time. Take the time out to check this and comment - there is some great stuff (and not just because he liked the Texans draft - look at the other writeups, just a great job overall).

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33
Page 33 of 33

Jump to: