Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

99th Overall Pick: ILB Nico Johnson, Alabama
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diesel2692

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone thought we would take Barkley with that 4th rounder if philly had not traded up in front of us. Word from KC is that we wouldn't have that NICO was the guy all along we would have taken no matter what.

Can't wait to see what this guy can do inside for us.
KCDiehard88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well might be my favorite pick in the draft. Hard-nosed battle tested ILB that comes from an incredible college program. Never missed a start, high production, Captain of a team that was filled with captains. Absolutely love this pick and expect big things out of Nico.
Dexter McCluster #22 5-8 170 The Original Offensive Weapon
46 Receptions 438 Yards 9.5 Avg 1 TD 43 long
8 Rushes 5 Yards .6 Avg 0 TD 5 long
54 Punt Returns 631 Yards 11.7 Avg 2 TD 89 long
odendin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marnz wrote:
Tbe thing I love about this pick is his weakness are a complete nonfactor on how we will use him

+1

I agree completely.
Mongo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:

I think in today's NFL DJ is a perfect fit for SILB. He's BA against the run and good enough to cover all RBs and most TEs. Ideally I wanted someone next to him about his equal. Someone who could also cover anything short of a WR and be physical in the run game.

The days of a thumper ILB are over IMO. Some teams may choose that way, but IMO its a way of the past. Give me two ILBs who can cover and I'll be a happy man. That way we don't tip our hand switching guys.

Switching to a nickel or dime is already "tipped off". You remove a DT anyway. However I'd have preferred a better athlete.

Let's all remember this guy is an R4 pick. Odds are against him being a starter long term.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

I think in today's NFL DJ is a perfect fit for SILB. He's BA against the run and good enough to cover all RBs and most TEs. Ideally I wanted someone next to him about his equal. Someone who could also cover anything short of a WR and be physical in the run game.

The days of a thumper ILB are over IMO. Some teams may choose that way, but IMO its a way of the past. Give me two ILBs who can cover and I'll be a happy man. That way we don't tip our hand switching guys.

Switching to a nickel or dime is already "tipped off". You remove a DT anyway. However I'd have preferred a better athlete.

Let's all remember this guy is an R4 pick. Odds are against him being a starter long term.

The same is essentially true of first rounders.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs
kcstomp63

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

I am guessing that is what some people said when the Patriots drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.

I am guessing people said Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf were long term solutions too because they were the 1st and 2nd overall picks.

Where someone is picked, in all honesty, gives no indication of how productive they can be or how much of a "long term" solution they will be. Kurt Warner was an UDFA and was highly productive in the league and ultimately won the Super Bowl.

Thanks to LOTO for the sig
chiefs82

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im excited to see Nico run downhill and wallop RBs.

2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #82 Dwayne Bowe, WR
Rec:57/Yards:673/TD's:5/Avg per:11.8
jimmydee

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo, if nobody other than a first round pick has a chance to contribute long term and start immediately, why do we even go thru the process. I hate this negativity all the time.....Please, for the rest of us, what DO you like about anything the Chief's have done??
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Let's also remember this is the least important position on our D, so given that Belcher started for like 3 years, I don't think the odds are really up against him. If he plays like a 4th round pick, that will be plenty good and we'll be in no hurry to replace him...only if an upgrade presents itself.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Kerwin says this about players. "If they hit you with their eyes closed, put them on Offense. If they hit you with their eyes open, put them on defense. If they hit you with their eyes open, smile and wink....make them a captain." This IS Nico Johnson. Nuff said.....4th round pick or not!!!!

PLENTY happy with this pick.
chiefs82

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Pat Kerwin says this about players. "If they hit you with their eyes closed, put them on Offense. If they hit you with their eyes open, put them on defense. If they hit you with their eyes open, smile and wink....make them a captain." This IS Nico Johnson. Nuff said.....4th round pick or not!!!!

PLENTY happy with this pick.

Read today that Nico watched Ray Lewis speeches to pump him up pre game.

2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #82 Dwayne Bowe, WR
Rec:57/Yards:673/TD's:5/Avg per:11.8
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I watched the Western Kentucky - Alabama game from last year as I wanted to get a look at Quanterus Smith (our 5th round pick). I must say, I loved the way Johnson attacks lead blockers. Seems like a physical Football player.

MUFC OK
marnz

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Last night I watched the Western Kentucky - Alabama game from last year as I wanted to get a look at Quanterus Smith (our 5th round pick). I must say, I loved the way Johnson attacks lead blockers. Seems like a physical Football player.

yup and i must say i hate you guys got ball he is a great player
Mongo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Mongo, if nobody other than a first round pick has a chance to contribute long term and start immediately, why do we even go thru the process. I hate this negativity all the time.....Please, for the rest of us, what DO you like about anything the Chief's have done??

Lots of fourth rounders make solid contributions everyday in the NFL. Its not realistic to assume anything more than that from Nico. Its unlikely he be a long term starter.

Negativity? I said I liked the pick. Sorry to introduce some reality into anyone's delusion.

All of the time? Simply not true. Some people only tend to focus on the negative. I won't waste everyone's time listing the things I like, it's simply not everything.

Some people are incapable of accepting the slightest bit of criticism. I'd hate to be their boss at review time. This type of employee gets a good review overall and a raise, but still wants to complain about the one or two sub-par grades.

Last edited by Mongo on Sun May 05, 2013 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Mongo

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcstomp63 wrote:

I am guessing that is what some people said when the Patriots drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round.

I am guessing people said Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf were long term solutions too because they were the 1st and 2nd overall picks.

Where someone is picked, in all honesty, gives no indication of how productive they can be or how much of a "long term" solution they will be. Kurt Warner was an UDFA and was highly productive in the league and ultimately won the Super Bowl.

I disagree. Where someone is picked gives a high indication of how well they'll perform in the NFL. Otherwise, there'd be no draft. All players would be free agents, able to sign where they please.

It's about probability. A first round pick has a higher probability of being a superstar, being a contributor, or even simply making a roster than a sixth round pick like a Tom Brady.

Yes "Tom Brady" events happen, which makes the draft so cool. But for every Tom, there's thousands of Dickies and Harrys that never make it.

MORAL: Its ok to hope for a Tom, but your R6 pick is more likely to be a Harry Dickie.

Last edited by Mongo on Sun May 05, 2013 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: