Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alright Let's Grade the Draft Already
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How'd Elway Do?
A
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
B
63%
 63%  [ 24 ]
C
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
I found it pretty interesting that both Webster and Montee Ball said they grew up being Broncos fans and watching Denver on TV.

I wonder if this came up in the meetings at the combine, perhaps Elway was specifically targeting Broncos minded players. Is this a new trait we're seeing in our front office?

Another thing I noticed is that for the second year in a row we've spent our first pick of the third day on a guy with medical red flags that would've been a second round pick otherwise. I like this strategy in the mid rounds because the potential rewards outweigh the risks.

I agree with your second point, and for a team like ours, it's a great one. If he pans out, perfect, if not, you didn't blow a high pick. Low risk high reward.

The first point you made is purely coincidental from the standpoint of their team allegiance. If we only limited ourselves to guys who were Broncos fans, there'd be few guys to pick.

I think that may have made them more endearing though. I think the trend is more towards hard-working guys with positive attitudes.

Thanks, Tzimisce
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
I found it pretty interesting that both Webster and Montee Ball said they grew up being Broncos fans and watching Denver on TV.

I wonder if this came up in the meetings at the combine, perhaps Elway was specifically targeting Broncos minded players. Is this a new trait we're seeing in our front office?

Another thing I noticed is that for the second year in a row we've spent our first pick of the third day on a guy with medical red flags that would've been a second round pick otherwise. I like this strategy in the mid rounds because the potential rewards outweigh the risks.

I agree with your second point, and for a team like ours, it's a great one. If he pans out, perfect, if not, you didn't blow a high pick. Low risk high reward.

The first point you made is purely coincidental from the standpoint of their team allegiance. If we only limited ourselves to guys who were Broncos fans, there'd be few guys to pick.

I think that may have made them more endearing though. I think the trend is more towards hard-working guys with positive attitudes.

Put yourself in the position of a draft prospect though, it's only natural that they'll show more enthusiasm in their interviews with teams they supported as a boy. Similarly, as a General Manager, when a kid comes in and tells you he loves your team, you know that he's the kid who's going to give that extra 2% when it matters most.
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

Complete coincidence. When it comes to resigning all that will matter is money. Guys that will take a paycut to stick around like the location they live in and the team.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall grade: C
I think that the 2013 draft was average. The team did well even while drafting late in each round. The selected players will help the team even if none looks amazing.

#28 Sylvester Williams
Sylvester Williams was great value in the first round. He was the 3rd rated DT and the demand for O-line picks moved his selection lower. He looks like he'll be playing the first week as at least a rotation, maybe even starting. I don't know if he'll be playing as NT or UT. I suspect his quickness means he'll mainly be UT in the 4-man front but could be NT for a 3-3-nickel scheme. My guess he gets 2 sacks in his rookie year and he has a long career with the team.
Grade: B

#58 Montee Ball
A solid and unspectacular runner. He was very productive in college. Was his numbers due to his talent or the team's OL? That question is unresolved. A common knock on him is the high number of college carries means he might be worn out. I don't buy that conclusion and even it is out-weighed by the fact that Peyton Manning is old and needs a reliable RB now. My guess is he gains 500 yards as a rookie getting 10 carries/game.
Grade: C

#90 Kayvon Webster
A big reach. While Webster is fast and seems like a strong tackler, he hasn't played like a top-100 talent. He'll see work on special teams.
Grade: D

#146 Quanterus Smith
He is recovering from his ACL injury and might not be on the field until mid-season. He might be the replacement for Shaun Phillips as the designated pass rusher. If so, he could get 2-3 sacks.

#161 Tavarres King
Looks to be depth for WR. If he can develop as the deep receiver for formations with 3 WRs, he will be on the field by mid-season. My guess is that he'll get 12 receptions and 150 yards as a rookie.

#173 Vinston Painter
A better athlete than player. He is raw but could develop into a backup. My guess is he'll go on the practice squad this year.

#234 Zac Dysert
A good value pick in the 7th round. He projects as a developmental quarterback this year. The team needed a 3rd QB for practices and the team needs to look to the future when Manning retires. My guess is he will make the final cuts but not see active play in 2013.
Grade: B

Professional sportswriters give Bs and Cs:
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Evaluating-the-Draft/c128950f-0c51-4e78-9327-1994d46e6729
Winder23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do draft grades this early. Seems completely pointless. I will say Id like the draft as a whole and think it will prove out at least 2-3 starters like the two previous drafts have or eventually will.

I do want to debunk this notion that a often used college RB will break down quickly in the pros. Ball has proven to be durable and productive. Basing his draft grade on amount of touches is reaching IMO. Even if the Broncos only get 4 good years pout of Ball it is well worth the #58 overall pick.
CanadianBronco

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted as an A, would say it's a B+/A- overall.

Sly - A - Great pick, will eat a lot of rotational time on the line. Love the athleticism

Ball - B - I like the player, think we might have been able to wait until later to get better value. Not overly concerned about the wear/tear, if we have him for 6 good years then its solid.

Webster - C - Hadn't heard much about him til after the draft, but could be a good project at CB or FS. Seems as though we could have gotten him or something similar later.

Smith - A - Major upside and can get healthy now that we have Phillips.

King - A- - Good value here I think, could provide another good vertical threat or changeup on special teams.

Painter - C+ - After reading this: http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/2/18/4001938/nfl-draft-2013-rt-vinston-painter-scouting-report I am more inclined to like the pick, but his sample size is too small to know.

Dysert - A - I like as many QBs under Manning as possible, if he can grow to be a solid #2 then great or flipped for picks in a year or two great also.
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

I wonder if this came up in the meetings at the combine, perhaps Elway was specifically targeting Broncos minded players. Is this a new trait we're seeing in the front office?

Simply put, no. These guys getting drafted now are a couple years younger than me. The Broncos were on TV across the country during their childhood. They were likely drawn to some of the electric talent we had on our offense. Elway and Terrell Davis sucked me in around 3rd grade. The Broncos were at their best when these guys were in elementary school, about the time they probably started playing, and about the time they probably started developing football minds, comprehending what they were seeing. Broncos were a popular team in these players young, formative years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
I don't do draft grades this early. Seems completely pointless. I will say Id like the draft as a whole and think it will prove out at least 2-3 starters like the two previous drafts have or eventually will.

I do want to debunk this notion that a often used college RB will break down quickly in the pros. Ball has proven to be durable and productive. Basing his draft grade on amount of touches is reaching IMO. Even if the Broncos only get 4 good years pout of Ball it is well worth the #58 overall pick.

IMO Ball will be fine. At that age, wear and tear don't begin to show for a long while.

Also, rumor is that had we not taken him GB would have 2 picks later and let Lacy slide.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Winder23 wrote:

IMO Ball will be fine. At that age, wear and tear don't begin to show for a long while.

Also, rumor is that had we not taken him GB would have 2 picks later and let Lacy slide.

Interesting. Where did you hear that?

EDIT:

Here it is...

Brian Gutekunst wrote:
We liked Montee Ball a lot. We kind of had them in the same range. We thought they were both very, very good backs. We traded down because we had a bunch of runners up there. They're different backs.

Link:http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/back-for-the-future-pk9nk2e-204970531.html

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Cutler06

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solid pick I see is Sly Williams, the rest are based upon potential.

#28 Sylvester Williams
Williams could have easily gone between 15-20, so getting him at 28 is a steal
Grade: A

#58 Montee Ball
I like Ball as a player, hard-nosed runner. I do believe we could've picked him up in the 3rd with a trade back. He does have some mileage on him but I doubt he see's that many carries in the NFL as he did in college.
Grade: B-

#90 Kayvon Webster
I've seen speculation Webster could have been had in the 5th rd....a huge reach for a 3rd. He's got speed, is willing to provide run-support but will be learning on ST

#146 Quanterus Smith
With his injury, he's a future pick, wouldn't be surprised if he's stash on IR to get healthy. Could easily change my grade into a B/B+ on this pick if he pans out

#161 Tavarres King
Our 4th receiver, a very good pick IMO. Has speed, good hands and can get open. Provides insurance for Decker's impending free agency next year.

#173 Vinston Painter
Backup at best. Is raw but could develop as he has good footwork for a OL. Could get bigger, has a stout frame
Grade D+

#234 Zac Dysert
A good pick, has strong leadership skills, a strong arm and will provide depth. At the 7th rd, could have been a 5th rder IMO
Grade: B+

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:

Hello!!?! IT'S THE DRAFT!! None of these guys have played a down, everything is based on potential!
whenmidgetsatak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
Cutler06 wrote:

Hello!!?! IT'S THE DRAFT!! None of these guys have played a down, everything is based on potential!

Cutler06 wrote:

#146 Quanterus Smith
With his injury, he's a future pick, wouldn't be surprised if he's stash on IR to get healthy. Could easily change my grade into a B/B+ on this pick if he pans out

Another solid nugget Laughing

^This guy is our forum mod
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All team grades:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2013/2013-nfl-draft-report-card-report

Broncos were given a medium grade.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler06 wrote:

#28 Sylvester Williams
Williams could have easily gone between 15-20, so getting him at 28 is a steal
Grade: A

#58 Montee Ball
I like Ball as a player, hard-nosed runner. I do believe we could've picked him up in the 3rd with a trade back. He does have some mileage on him but I doubt he see's that many carries in the NFL as he did in college.

#90 Kayvon Webster
I've seen speculation Webster could have been had in the 5th rd....a huge reach for a 3rd. He's got speed, is willing to provide run-support but will be learning on ST

#146 Quanterus Smith

#161 Tavarres King
Our 4th receiver, a very good pick IMO. Has speed, good hands and can get open. Provides insurance for Decker's impending free agency next year.

#173 Vinston Painter
Backup at best. Is raw but could develop as he has good footwork for a OL. Could get bigger, has a stout frame
Grade D+

#234 Zac Dysert
A good pick, has strong leadership skills, a strong arm and will provide depth. At the 7th rd, could have been a 5th rder IMO
Grade: B+

My only question is on Painter. If he raw but can be developed, how is that a D+ out of a 5th round pick. What else do you expect from a guy picked in the 5th round

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't give a grade as I haven't studied the players. I have downloaded the following games to watch from the 2012 season :-

North Carolina vs Virginia Tech
Western Kentucky vs Alabama
Georgia vs South Carolina
Wisconsin vs Ohio State
South Florida vs FSU

I will let you know my findings.

MUFC OK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: