Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 7, Pick 238 - Aaron Mellete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Round 7, Pick 238 - Aaron Mellete Reply with quote

With the 238th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens select:

Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess he'll be competing with the likes of David Reed, LaQuan Williams, Deonte Thompson and Tommy Streeter for a roster spot.

Sounds a little similar to Streeter, actually.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Streeter has speed, I've read this is a possession guy.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mellette isn't like Streeter. The only thing similar is they both have nice size. Mellette is a guy who has some very good hands IMO whereas Streeter was largely a body catcher coming out. Streeter is also a burner with size and Mellette is sort of similar to Kelley Washington, the squirrel, IMO. He can be a redzone option and a third down chain mover. I'm surprised Mellette lasted this long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Mellette isn't like Streeter. The only thing similar is they both have nice size. Mellette is a guy who has some very good hands IMO whereas Streeter was largely a body catcher coming out. Streeter is also a burner with size and Mellette is sort of similar to Kelley Washington, the squirrel, IMO. He can be a redzone option and a third down chain mover. I'm surprised Mellette lasted this long.

He lasted this long because he went to Elon. 98% of NFL scouts don't even know Elon has a football team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

Yeah if there's anybody on the team Mellette compares to it might be Doss, but I think he's might be just a bit more of a physical presence. I like the pick. For a 7th rounder Mellette has a chance to immediately compete for a contributing role.
NJ Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that jumped out to me from the small sample size I saw was that he was a hands catcher. I can dig it.
ravens5520

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out his YouTube highlights.. Pretty impressive for a 7th round pick. Wonder how he will handle a QB who actually over throws him rather than Elons QB under cutting him 75% of the time. Although I do give him big credit for a lot of comeback catches over or around defenders.

http://youtu.be/HBtPTH5U7aY
drd23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some video if anyone is interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu0O5BwzywY (vs UNC 2012) - He had a terrible game - 2 catches for 9 yards and at least 1 drop that went right through his hands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnBirD6HR4 (vs App St 2011) - Good game against one of the top FCS programs

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Maddogg

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dolphins fan here. I was really hoping we would nab Aaron Mellette in the draft. I have been following him for awhile. Its up to him to step up and show he belongs in the NFL. What he offers :

1) Size. At 6'3" 215lbs. He offers good body dimensions for a QB targeting a receiver. Corners will not have an easy time trying to go over the top to defend.

2 ) Catching ability. This kid has made some pretty incredible catches that your not going to see on video. There have been throws too low and off target, thrown behind him, too high at the sideline and he simply reaches out and takes the ball in his hand as if its routine.

3) Character. Hard working. No nonsense kid. Focused. He could even be thought of as a bit naive. Will be a good presence in the locker room.

Weaknesses : Strength - Can be taken down with an arm tackle. Will need to get stronger. Raw in NFL terms has not faced top competition and will need to adjust. Didn't show much against UNC but his line and QB were overmatched.

Projection _ Could be another Ozzie draft steal, but like I said its up to Aaron to make the most of his chance.

Compares to : Brandon Marshall, without the headaches.

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 11, Tackles 11 Assists 3 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1
Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 11 : Death 30 Joe 34

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: