Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The BUQB Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrowhead86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: The BUQB Thread Reply with quote

Well I initially wanted to focus on the battle looming for the guys behind Alex Smith before week 1, but decided to word the title so it could just serve the season long talks.

I really think this has become a position we will discuss a lot throughout the year. We'll see...

So to start off.. with the edition of Bray as a UDFA the current back up battle consists of:

Chase Daniel
Ricky Stanzi
Tyler Bray
Alex Tanney

I'm not sure there are enough balls to go around paractice for 5 guys TBH.. but with the 90 man roster I think all of them make it to TC13 in St Joe.

Things I'm wondering:

is Chase's roster spot locked in for this year or can his roster spot be taken in this competition?

could Bray be a candidate for the "red shirt rookie" injured reserve tag? that surprise injury always seems to happen to guys we know wouldn't survive a PS designation.

will real coaching show us a Stanzi we can't afford to lose? or maybe raise his value to a commodity we can trade if Reid prefers Bray and wants or needs him on the 53.

does Alex Tanney have any shot to confuse things further?

Help me out! Let's talk some BUQB!!!
2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #29 Eric Berry, S
Tackles:0/TFL:0/Sacks:0/FF:0/FR:0
Rumless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the weakest prospect of Stanzi-Tanney-Bray gets cut before camp starts. After that it depends on adaptation to the playbook and on the field performance. I think Daniel, unless he massively disappoints, is guaranteed a roster spot.

Hoping Stanzikraken becomes something special with a new coaching staff. If he's given an honest shot, I'm curious where he'll be slotted.

If I had to guess, I'd say Tanney is the guy over Bray going into camp, simply for the intelligence factor. Maybe the reports are wrong and Bray adapts quickly to Reid's offense.

I'm just glad our QB situation is a lot stronger than it was last year. We had no legitimate starters on our roster last year, and now we have two that could start in the league (Smith and Daniel).

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
jimmydee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rum, I think you're right about Tanney/Bray. Bray brings a BIG arm and a BIG immaturity package along with it. It'll be interesting to see how long Andy puts up with his antics, etc. before he sends him packing.

Rum, don't you find it interesting that the board is quite about our #34 pick in the 2013 draft, now that it is over? I've said several times that our 34th pick will add and bring more to the team than any rookie could have brought. He's a started in the NFL at the most critical position, seasoned behind a good coaching staff, understands the "building", and has a great work ethic. Not bad for a # 34 pick, me thinks.

I also felt that Manuel would be the first QB off the board. I STILL think he has the most upside of them all.....we'll see in 3-4 years.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Rum, I think you're right about Tanney/Bray. Bray brings a BIG arm and a BIG immaturity package along with it. It'll be interesting to see how long Andy puts up with his antics, etc. before he sends him packing.

Rum, don't you find it interesting that the board is quite about our #34 pick in the 2013 draft, now that it is over? I've said several times that our 34th pick will add and bring more to the team than any rookie could have brought. He's a started in the NFL at the most critical position, seasoned behind a good coaching staff, understands the "building", and has a great work ethic. Not bad for a # 34 pick, me thinks.

I also felt that Manuel would be the first QB off the board. I STILL think he has the most upside of them all.....we'll see in 3-4 years.

Alex Smith should bea better value for a 2nd round pick than Matt Cassel, but not much. Cassel did have one good season. Smith will bring mobility and athleticism to the position, not to mention a better arm, but he turns 29 next week and has a ton of hits in 8 years. This is a caretaker not a solution.

J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

Alex Smith should bea better value for a 2nd round pick than Matt Cassel, but not much. Cassel did have one good season. Smith will bring mobility and athleticism to the position, not to mention a better arm, but he turns 29 next week and has a ton of hits in 8 years. This is a caretaker not a solution.

J

Yeah, but it's not worth counting the season with NE with those WR's, OL, and coaching staff. Alex has proved just as much with less offensive talent around him.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:

But we could have had Geno in the second and not lost a 2/3 pick next year. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder if Reid and co. had known Geno would have still been there ahead of time if they would still have gone after Alex.

I'm good with the decision, just saying, I would have loved the other option, even if it meant we'd be less competitive this year.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Rumless

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

J

I always had thought that Pioli brought in Matt Cassel as a type of Gil Meche move - not an outstanding acquisition, but one that brought stability to the franchise at the most crucial position until the time could be found to replace him with the future of the franchise. My mistake was hoping that Pioli would be able to cut ties with Matt Cassel if Cassel did not develop or plateau'd.

This makes me the wariest about the Alex Smith trade. Dorsey does seem more shrewd than Pioli when it comes to assembling a roster, but if Smith doesn't show signs of improving after a couple of years (which we will undoubtedly give him, barring a major surprise), will Reid be able to part with his man-crush? I like to believe "yes", but I will expect "no" until proven incorrect. Alex Smith possesses a lot of admirable traits and I'm excited to see him in Andy Reid's offense. I am less thrilled that for the second time in five years, a new regime has traded #34 in the draft to acquire a second-string quarterback instead of taking their own player to mold and identify with. It's safer to do the former but after 25 years of a drafted Chiefs QB not winning a single game, I'd like to see some guts and the latter.

In fact, I'm not sure he's better than our very own London Fletcher.[/quote]
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumless wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

J

I always had thought that Pioli brought in Matt Cassel as a type of Gil Meche move - not an outstanding acquisition, but one that brought stability to the franchise at the most crucial position until the time could be found to replace him with the future of the franchise. My mistake was hoping that Pioli would be able to cut ties with Matt Cassel if Cassel did not develop or plateau'd.

This makes me the wariest about the Alex Smith trade. Dorsey does seem more shrewd than Pioli when it comes to assembling a roster, but if Smith doesn't show signs of improving after a couple of years (which we will undoubtedly give him, barring a major surprise), will Reid be able to part with his man-crush? I like to believe "yes", but I will expect "no" until proven incorrect. Alex Smith possesses a lot of admirable traits and I'm excited to see him in Andy Reid's offense. I am less thrilled that for the second time in five years, a new regime has traded #34 in the draft to acquire a second-string quarterback instead of taking their own player to mold and identify with. It's safer to do the former but after 25 years of a drafted Chiefs QB not winning a single game, I'd like to see some guts and the latter.

It would be great if Alex kept improving, but it should also be noted that if he stays at the same level that would still be worth the draft pick and that would make us a playoff caliber team.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
marnz

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Rumless wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:
jimmydee wrote:

J

It would be great if Alex kept improving, but it should also be noted that if he stays at the same level that would still be worth the draft pick and that would make us a playoff caliber team.

if you look at his stats he has a higher passer rating every year he has been in the nfl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: