Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I loved the giants draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkebones

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerseyboy257 wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
I too liked the draft. Each pick was a solid value pick. I also really liked the Nassib pick and thought we would draft of QB. We have been spoiled with Eli and his durability. The organization realizes the importance of successorship and planning for it. The Steelers and other successful organizations do it also. It's the right time. Carr is getting old and expensive. Perfect time to groom the next. Some may not have been old enough to have experienced the Dave Brown and Kent Graham era. Welcome to the NY Football Giants Nassib.

Ehh I feel like it's 2-3 years to early. Eli easily has another 5-6 years in him barring any career ending injuries. I think this pick was more for future value rather then Eli's heir.

I agree in part. Eli may have 5-6 years in him but I think that only 2-3 really good years then the tail off. By year 3, Nassib will ready like Rodgers.

You think Eli can only play like this for 2-3 years? I disagree. He only hit his prime a year or two ago. I think he can stay at this level for at least 5 years.

i was thinking about this the other night as well. Peyton is 37 and, if not for the lost year with the neck issue, shows little signs of slowing down. Eli is 32 (won't hit 33 until the playoffs). Kurt Warner retired at 38 and proved he could still play if he had chosen. These players these days train so much differently than players even 15 years ago. So much more attention to nutrition, offseason workouts, etc. For guys like Eli and Peyton who for all intents and purposes have not been beaten up in the careers, I think it will be interesting to see how the ends of their careers shape out.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
jerseyboy257 wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
GEE MEN wrote:
I too liked the draft. Each pick was a solid value pick. I also really liked the Nassib pick and thought we would draft of QB. We have been spoiled with Eli and his durability. The organization realizes the importance of successorship and planning for it. The Steelers and other successful organizations do it also. It's the right time. Carr is getting old and expensive. Perfect time to groom the next. Some may not have been old enough to have experienced the Dave Brown and Kent Graham era. Welcome to the NY Football Giants Nassib.

Ehh I feel like it's 2-3 years to early. Eli easily has another 5-6 years in him barring any career ending injuries. I think this pick was more for future value rather then Eli's heir.

I agree in part. Eli may have 5-6 years in him but I think that only 2-3 really good years then the tail off. By year 3, Nassib will ready like Rodgers.

You think Eli can only play like this for 2-3 years? I disagree. He only hit his prime a year or two ago. I think he can stay at this level for at least 5 years.

i was thinking about this the other night as well. Peyton is 37 and, if not for the lost year with the neck issue, shows little signs of slowing down. Eli is 32 (won't hit 33 until the playoffs). Kurt Warner retired at 38 and proved he could still play if he had chosen. These players these days train so much differently than players even 15 years ago. So much more attention to nutrition, offseason workouts, etc. For guys like Eli and Peyton who for all intents and purposes have not been beaten up in the careers, I think it will be interesting to see how the ends of their careers shape out.

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head ("if not for the lost year with the neck issue..."). We've been fortunate that Eli has not been seriously injured. Hopefully he remains relatively healthy but the law of averages...

And in terms of playing I do think that Eli will play another 5-6 more years but "at this level" is the rub. First let me say that there is no QB in the league today that I would trade Eli for if i needed a QB in crunch time...to win the big one. Having said that, Eli has a lower ceiling than Peyton and Warner because Peyton and Warner has had the better arms, accuracy and release than Eli. For Peyton and Warner to tail off it would take a bit longer because they have had would happen much more rapidly. When Eli will tail off it will be more noticeable and I think much sooner because of the lower ceiling and age does catch up (which is why Warner couldn't do it anymore). So while I think he'll play another 5-6 years I think that the next 2-3 will be around how's he's played now. I think by years 3-4 he'll start dropping off and by 5-6 us fans will be calling for Eli's head and Nassib to fill in. I don't buy the "he just hit his prime" argument. There is no magic "prime" date and then a player will play X amount of years after this so called prime.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed gee men
And also a thing to look at is elis contract. He only has three years left. If they get to that point in the contract, and he still has not been resigned and already tailing off at the end ofthe ccareer.... do you let him walk and been in his successor? A lot of big ifs! But I'm more comfortable knowing if eli leaves in three years, physically or mentally, we have someone

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can take decades to find a solid QB. I'm fine with the Giants taking a mid round flyer on a guy they feel is early round talent. It's not like Eli has the luxury of a clean pocket and never takes any hits. Eli has stayed healthy in part due to luck. The Giants rarely draft for the coming season but for 2+ years from now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly wasn't a sexy offseason compared to last year. Last year we get a lightning fast running back, a big receiver, a playmaking corner and two physical freaks at TE.

This year our new TE is rather ordinary physically. Our first round pick is used on a, let's face it, pudgy looking offensive lineman. Our second round pick goes on a pudgy defensive tackle. All in all, not quite as exciting.

That said, it's probably what is best. An young, talented offensive lineman is long overdue, and we needed to replace some bodies on the defensive line. That's what this draft did.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
bzane

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
It certainly wasn't a sexy offseason compared to last year. Last year we get a lightning fast running back, a big receiver, a playmaking corner and two physical freaks at TE.

This year our new TE is rather ordinary physically. Our first round pick is used on a, let's face it, pudgy looking offensive lineman. Our second round pick goes on a pudgy defensive tackle. All in all, not quite as exciting.

That said, it's probably what is best. An young, talented offensive lineman is long overdue, and we needed to replace some bodies on the defensive line. That's what this draft did.

Are you ready for some Pudge-Ball????

I'm definitely in on this! My only disappointment was that they passed on Barrett Jones, who is also pudgy, and thus failed to complete the trifecta.

Let's face it- pudge-balls is an area the Giants have neglected in recent years. I may be forgetting somebody, but I think the last one they had was Jared Lorenzen.

All too often they've gone with these sculpted guys, Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul; and passed up on readily-available pudge-balls.

Why, this year, they traded up to take a buff QB in Ryan Nassim, when they could have saved their picks and signed for free JaMarcus Russell, who goes far beyond pudgy, into the realm of Jabba-the-Hutt obese!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: