Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

198th overall: DT Chris Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BootsBandicoot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

What!? Rick Smith came out and said this was the pick he was most excited over. Anything but camp fodder and could give Earl a run for his money on the nose

Aren't GMs supposed to be excited about their picks?

MOST excited. In a draft where you found a potential successor to Andre Johnson (the greatest player in Texans franchise history) as well as the potential successor to Ed Reed (perhaps the only 1st ballot HoF this team has ever had) it's a NT that has Smitty MOST excited.

Is this whole forum a p&&&ing contest over who has the most Texans knowledge?

Get over yourself

Forgive me for trying to bring something to the conversation. Of those selected rounds 4-7.

Smith named defensive tackle Chris Jones, a sixth-round pick from Bowling Green who was the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2012.

I really liked him, Smith said. I think when he comes in the building, just the way that he approaches the game and the kind of make-up that he has, I think its going to be very hard to keep him off the field because he just plays relentlessly, and very productive.

And although I love the Hopkins pick, I really only see him as the #1 if we get ourselves into a pinch. I'm not degrading his abilities but to a degree his measurables don't warrant #1 status. College, yes. In the pros, a coin flip. But of course he should contribute to this team long after Andres career has ended.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

What!? Rick Smith came out and said this was the pick he was most excited over. Anything but camp fodder and could give Earl a run for his money on the nose

MOST excited. In a draft where you found a potential successor to Andre Johnson (the greatest player in Texans franchise history) as well as the potential successor to Ed Reed (perhaps the only 1st ballot HoF this team has ever had) it's a NT that has Smitty MOST excited.

Potential successor to Andre Johnson and Ed Reed? Let the kids play a first down, dang.

Point is we always here these things from GMs, UDFAs lighting it up in TC making a name for themselves. Or a late pick a GM had pegged as a 3rd rounder. Really nothing more here than motivational talk.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootsBandicoot wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

Thank you for providing something meaningful to the conversation.

And you are who?

BootsBandicoot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

Thank you for providing something meaningful to the conversation.

And you are who?

Fred Savage.

As for Jones, from the one game I saw on youtube against Miami OH he seems to have the Rick smith stamp. Only issues is size. Motor, intensity, pass rush ability and ability to occupy multiple blockers. But it was a lower level of competition and a YouTube clip.

My reason for posting was simply in response to viewing him as "camp fodder" which I think is rash. And the OP retracted his thought. So really there is no issue

Last edited by BootsBandicoot on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grasspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootsBandicoot wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

Get over yourself

Forgive me for trying to bring something to the conversation. Of those selected rounds 4-7.

Smith named defensive tackle Chris Jones, a sixth-round pick from Bowling Green who was the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2012.

I really liked him, Smith said. I think when he comes in the building, just the way that he approaches the game and the kind of make-up that he has, I think its going to be very hard to keep him off the field because he just plays relentlessly, and very productive.

And although I love the Hopkins pick, I really only see him as the #1 if we get ourselves into a pinch. I'm not degrading his abilities but to a degree his measurables don't warrant #1 status. College, yes. In the pros, a coin flip. But of course he should contribute to this team long after Andres career has ended.

Internet forums generally are "p&&&ing contests" to see who has the most knowledge about the topic they're built on. Also, I'm pretty sure the lack of question mark at the end of ET's comment means he's on your side.

Not that it's my place to say it, but let's try not to denigrate fellow posters in here. uk, that should go for you as well. It's not that hard to debate without making snide comments about others.

Sig by matthouston91
mse326

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse

#JDI
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BootsBandicoot wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

Get over yourself.

I was agreeing with you, homeslice. Please, don't hit me. Sad

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
texans_uk wrote:
BootsBandicoot wrote:
kenney wrote:
Camp fodder.

Potential successor to Andre Johnson and Ed Reed? Let the kids play a first down, dang.

...that's why I used the word "potential", darling.

You do know what that word means, correct? They were drafted with that intent, to replace a 33 year old WR and a 35 year old FS. Whether or not they will is something I never attempted to address - hence the use of the word "potential". Them playing a "first down" is irrelevant to what their overall goal is.

Glad to clear that up. Let me know if you have any more questions. Very Happy

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus... we don't generally have pi$$ing contests on these boards. We find them too crude and juvenile. Once in a while a couple of guys will pull down their pants and break out the measuring tape...but that is about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texansfan wrote:
Plus... we don't generally have pi$$ing contests on these boards. We find them too crude and juvenile. Once in a while a couple of guys will pull down their pants and break out the measuring tape...but that is about it.

They don't make measuring tapes big enough.

^Gopher<3Wrestler^
simonwayne wrote:
The problem is not many people are like me, they'll complain when it fits their agenda and completely ignore bad officiating when it doesn't
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the tape measures away and trying to get back on topic, from watching the little bit of tape on Chris Jones, he seems to have some relative quickness for his size but plays to upright and needs to get his pads lower. I'm hoping that our strength and conditioning program can put some weight on this guy and make him a little quicker. Hopefully the coaching staff can work on the technique issues. I really hope this guy can be what we hope he can be cause we really need some of our late round talent to step up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: