Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Looking Ahead: 2014 Draft Discussion Reply with quote

Now that the 2013 NFL Draft is in the review mirror, it's only 357 days until the 2014 NFL Draft! I figured we don't have to wait till the season starts to discuss prospects and post mock drafts for next year's draft.

Team Needs (in no order):

TE- Owen Daniels is getting older (will be 31 after the season). We could use another weapon in this offense at tight end.

NT- Still think this is a need even though we drafted Chris Jones late in the draft. As of right now Earl Mitchell is the starting nose tackle, and at best he is a rotational defensive tackle.

RB- Ben Tate will be a free agent after this season and no question he will get paid and we won't be able to replace him. We need to draft a guy to help our Arian Foster.

ILB- Still not buying the Brooks Reed to ILB talk. I personally think it won' work out. We could use an ILB to line up next to Cushing.

S- Danieal Manning will be a FA in 2015 and we could use a safety to replace him. We already have one safety of the future in Swearinger.

CB- Kareem will be a FA in 2015 also, and we could use CB depth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to participate in this, but the whole thing is so fluid and evolving. You have nailed a few concerns but we have no idea how things will pan out. Is RB a need? Perhaps, but we just brought in a few free agent RBs that may be able to push for a roster spot. Meanwhile we think we are set at WR, but if Andre regresses a bit and Posey misses the year we could see WR addressed early in the draft again. Same with safety, as we are dependant on Ed Reed to stay healthy.

All in all, I am not sure what to list for needs at this time.
ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to put down QB as a need Very Happy

Seriously tho. No better time to start grooming a QB for the future.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I see the 2014 draft and our needs.

TE - OD is getting old and expensive. We could use someone younger, taller, bigger, better, and cheaper. He might even be a FA at the end of the 2013 season.

DE - Antonio Smith will be a FA at the end of the 2013 season and although Jared Crick seems to be some quality depth, I don't see him as a full time starter as good as the Ninja.

NT - I think Earl Mitchell will be a FA as well and he's a quality rotational player but I don't see him as a full time every down NT. Chris Jones might be a depth player but does anyone see him as the future of the NT position.

RB - Ben Tate is leaving in FA and we'll need a new #2. I see this as a mid round need at best.

CB - JJo is getting expensive and KJ will be a FA in 2015, we'll need some high quality talent in the pipeline soon.

S - Manning is getting older and more expensive and will be a FA in 2015, and even with Swearinger we could use some youthful talent upgrades for the future.

WR - I can see this being a need as well even if Hopkins turns out to be great like we think he will, we still don't have any reliable quality depth at WR. This is why those repeated mid round screwed up draft picks like Posey, Molden, etc... are so important. They bite you in the butt eventually.

ILB - I think Reed makes the transition to ILB successfully but there's still a need for depth here. A mid round need.

QB - does anyone really think Schaub will become a great QB? There's obvious room for an upgrade here. I don't see it happening in 2014 though.

With all these players reaching FA and/or upgrades in talent being needed at many positions there's also the issue of Cushing and Watt to think of as they will both be getting pay raises soon and while Cushing will have mitigating factors making him less expensive, Watt will break the bank.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: