Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Xanders impact on 2013 NFL Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Maybe it was just as easy as Mayhew admitting to himself he's got a problem- He's addicted to Matthew Stafford and showering him with draft day presents every April.

He got that out of the way early signing Bush, and went forward building the rest of the team for a change. Bout time.

While his system may not be in place I think its probable he influenced the draft simply by being part of the process.
Yep. Mayhew admitted that Xander critiqued the Lions past drafts, and gave his insight into what he believed their mistakes were, and how Denver viewed the prospects that the Lions ended up selecting.
bigc421

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Maybe it was just as easy as Mayhew admitting to himself he's got a problem- He's addicted to Matthew Stafford and showering him with draft day presents every April.

He got that out of the way early signing Bush, and went forward building the rest of the team for a change. Bout time.

I find it interesting that you are such a fan of polian considering his history, at least most recent history as a gm. If there was a ever a gm who was the poster child of "falling in love witg getting new toys for his qb" it was polian using countless draft picks on offensive skill positions including 3 1st rd runningbacks. He was also quoted as saying Mayhew was one of the best young up and coming talent evaluators before Millen was ever fired.
kitchenbags

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you guys trade stafford for three first round picks?

just out of pure curiosity
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchenbags wrote:

I'd have to give it serious consideration at the very least. However, it would depend on whom we were trading with and a couple of other questions. Are any of the picks potentially top 10? Are they 30,31 and 32? That kind of thing.
kitchenbags

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say its like the bucs, chiefs, vikings, or cardinals
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchenbags wrote:
Let's say its like the bucs, chiefs, vikings, or cardinals

Definitely not the Vikings. I probably would for any of the other 3.
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I find it interesting that you are such a fan of polian considering his history, at least most recent history as a gm. If there was a ever a gm who was the poster child of "falling in love witg getting new toys for his qb" it was polian using countless draft picks on offensive skill positions including 3 1st rd runningbacks. He was also quoted as saying Mayhew was one of the best young up and coming talent evaluators before Millen was ever fired.
I'm a fan of Polian's just from watching him on TV, has nothing to do with his taking Bills to the Super Bowl 4 times, the Panthers to the NFC Championship game in it's second year of it's existence, or him helping the Colts become the 2nd most successful franchise over the past decade before he was fired after Manning got hurt.....

But, still- none of that has anything to do with how I feel about Mayhew's awful draft record and blatant disregard for building a complete team and his infatuation with his precious franchise QB(You made me go here, I was gonna leave him alone after having a great draft IMO).
bigc421

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

I'm a fan of Polian's just from watching him on TV, has nothing to do with his taking Bills to the Super Bowl 4 times, the Panthers to the NFC Championship game in it's second year of it's existence, or him helping the Colts become the 2nd most successful franchise over the past decade before he was fired after Manning got hurt.....

But, still- none of that has anything to do with how I feel about Mayhew's awful draft record and blatant disregard for building a complete team and his infatuation with his precious franchise QB(You made me go here, I was gonna leave him alone after having a great draft IMO).

Theres no denying he was a very successful gm in his day, juat seems that fundamentally you are on a completely different page than him. Mayhews has his faults but hes done an above average job drafting during his tenure and philosophicaly speaking history suggests that polian wouldny have done things much different.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchenbags wrote:

Yes. I certainly would.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
kitchenbags wrote:

Yes. I certainly would.
I actually wouldn't. It's too hard to find a QB with his talent. If we would've done things the right way, and built the team inside/out after drafting him, I think we'd feel much more comfortable with he and our current roster situation.

If this draft is any indication of how the Lions will build the team hereafter, then I'd like to have a QB with the kind of talent Stafford has to lead this roster. CJ deserves it. I think the main reason Barry never won a championship was because the Lions didn't have any legit QB's, and they also should've probably put more talent into his offensive lines.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
kitchenbags wrote:

Yes. I certainly would.
I actually wouldn't. It's too hard to find a QB with his talent. If we would've done things the right way, and built the team inside/out after drafting him, I think we'd feel much more comfortable with he and our current roster situation.

If this draft is any indication of how the Lions will build the team hereafter, then I'd like to have a QB with the kind of talent Stafford has to lead this roster. CJ deserves it. I think the main reason Barry never won a championship was because the Lions didn't have any legit QB's, and they also should've probably put more talent into his offensive lines.

I agree with you.
nagahide13

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
kitchenbags wrote:

Yes. I certainly would.

I think you'd have to at least seriously consider it. We'd have 4 1st rounders in that situation, 2 of which would likely be high picks. We'd be able to draft Stafford's replacement pretty easily. I mean, we'd be pretty terrible this coming season, correct? What team picking at #1 wouldn't trade, say, #5 and #8 for #1? Heck, we might even be picking at #1 anyway, and in that case we'd be able to take a legitimate QB prospect (that didn't exist this year, but will next year) + grab 3 more elite young prospects.

It'd be a big gamble, but it would help our cap, and could potentially make us a much, much, much better team.

But again, I'm not entirely sure either way. It would, at the very least, depend on whom we were trading with and where the #1sts lay.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
kitchenbags wrote:

Yes. I certainly would.
I might as well. But, Stafford has the potential to be one if the top QB's in the league.

I would only do it if I had a good chance getting Clowney with those picks and the opportunity to draft someone like Carr, Hundley, or Fales.

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh, I don't mind how Mayhew did it.in a firm believer you can win without a good line. But you can't win without playmakers.
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Ehh, I don't mind how Mayhew did it.in a firm believer you can win without a good line. But you can't win without playmakers.
Yeah, and I'm a firm believer you'll end up with a dislocated knee and shoulder without a good line as a young QB.

Who knows, Stafford's shoulder may never be the same. I'm still worried about all of these side-armed throws that he wasn't doing before those injuries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: