Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft Evaluation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Don't worry guys, Im going to buy the jersey Laughing

Then come to Lions-Gate anyway. Cool
I'll try to, but it might be hard to convince my parents to let me meet up with a bunch of strangers who are also grown men

They may just give Chris Hansen a call Laughing

There's a really wide age range. We can talk about it more when it gets closer, but we should be able to figure it out where your parents will be cool about it.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ziggy Ansah was third on the Detroit Lions' draft board

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/04/ziggy_ansah_was_third_on_the_d.html#incart_river

Not exactly my board, but I'm fine with knowing this. They weren't as high on Dee, and I'd assume Lane Johnson, as some of the fans and media. I'm all aboard the Ansah wagon, the guys got some game, elite physical metrics, and a superb work ethic. He'll represent Detroit well (Ben Wallace comparison? )
LionsFan#1Pick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Quote:
Ziggy Ansah was third on the Detroit Lions' draft board

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/04/ziggy_ansah_was_third_on_the_d.html#incart_river

Not exactly my board, but I'm fine with knowing this. They weren't as high on Dee, and I'd assume Lane Johnson, as some of the fans and media. I'm all aboard the Ansah wagon, the guys got some game, elite physical metrics, and a superb work ethic. He'll represent Detroit well (Ben Wallace comparison? )

We'll probably never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Joeckel was the odd man out of their top-3. I personally preferred Joeckel to Johnson, but I do think some teams preferred Johnson and graded him out as a better pass blocker with more upside than Joeckel.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Fisher was likely #1, Joeckel likely #2. Wouldn't surprise me if Tavon Austin was #4 or something.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the potential of this class. Ultimately though the class will be judged on how well Ansah develops, if he ever does.

At least initally though we added 4 guys that should contribute immediately (Ansah, Slay, Warford, and Martin) and 2 guys that probably will be part of the rotation at their position (Taylor, Fuller).

Overall not a bad haul IMO, still have some concerns on a couple positions but we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Eric Fisher was likely #1, Joeckel likely #2. Wouldn't surprise me if Tavon Austin was #4 or something.

I don't even want to think about it, they do like their offensive weapons, don't they?

I agree with your assertion 100% though. I really think Chip Kelly fell in love with Johnson because of his "scheme", but he was a bit lower on most reasonable team's boards. I had Joekel #1 personally but any flip-flop of Fisher/Joekel does not surprise me one bit.
bigc421

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I don't even want to think about it, they do like their offensive weapons, don't they?

I agree with your assertion 100% though. I really think Chip Kelly fell in love with Johnson because of his "scheme", but he was a bit lower on most reasonable team's boards. I had Joekel #1 personally but any flip-flop of Fisher/Joekel does not surprise me one bit.

Considering he took Barkley and that Johnson had become universally thought of as a top5 selection i really dont yhink a) he is goin to run the offensive scheme exactly the way your thinking b) he took him just because he fits it. He was moat likely there bpa who also filled a huge need
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigc421 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Considering he took Barkley and that Johnson had become universally thought of as a top5 selection i really dont yhink a) he is goin to run the offensive scheme exactly the way your thinking b) he took him just because he fits it. He was moat likely there bpa who also filled a huge need

He was universally thought of as a top 10 player. Only thought of as a top 5 pick(difference) because everyone saw Kelly falling in love with him. I never saw a single BB with him in the top 5. Not 1.

Barkley got taken as a backup, simply because he was by far BPA on their board. He will not be expected to run their scheme. The whole offense will be dumbed down if he ever sees the field. Johnson however is a starter.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh how I was praying Philly would take Johnson.

I celebrated that pick as if it were one of ours.

I believe the above report is a good indication that we had Ansah ahead of him anyways, but it serves Mayhew zero purpose to fill us in on that.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

He was universally thought of as a top 10 player. Only thought of as a top 5 pick(difference) because everyone saw Kelly falling in love with him. I never saw a single BB with him in the top 5. Not 1.

Barkley got taken as a backup, simply because he was by far BPA on their board. He will not be expected to run their scheme. The whole offense will be dumbed down if he ever sees the field. Johnson however is a starter.

Johnson's rise had nothing to do with Kelly falling in love with him. That's just your latest excuse trying to devalue Johnson's worth.

The truth is you never saw a single teams big board and those are the only boards that matter.

You can rationalize, make stuff up, ignore draft rankings all you want but Johnson was considered a top five pick and was drafted in the top five.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
bigc421 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Johnson's rise had nothing to do with Kelly falling in love with him. That's just your latest excuse trying to devalue Johnson's worth.

The truth is you never saw a single teams big board and those are the only boards that matter.

You can rationalize, make stuff up, ignore draft rankings all you want but Johnson was considered a top five pick and was drafted in the top five.

Yet again your opinion is fact. Yet you can't show me a single BB with him in the top 5 much less multiples. Only mocks. Which is exactly what I said. A top 10 player and a top 5 pick.

Anything else extraneous to this point has just been you feeding your ego and need to be right about everything.
jaylittle03

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing. We drafted a DE with an elite combination of size and speed, who's biggest knock is he hasn't played a lot of football? Who cares, the dude is a actuarial science major (I think), he will figure it out. We drafted a very fast corner with good size, who was fairly productive in the SEC. How many years have all of us been wishing for a corner like this? And last but not least, we drafted a starting right guard in the third round. On paper, mayhew and co did a great job. Only time will tell, but I don't know how else he could of played it. I'm calling it a successful draft.

Props to wi7son
stylish313

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaylittle03 wrote:
Here's the thing. We drafted a DE with an elite combination of size and speed, who's biggest knock is he hasn't played a lot of football? Who cares, the dude is a actuarial science major (I think), he will figure it out. We drafted a very fast corner with good size, who was fairly productive in the SEC. How many years have all of us been wishing for a corner like this? And last but not least, we drafted a starting right guard in the third round. On paper, mayhew and co did a great job. Only time will tell, but I don't know how else he could of played it. I'm calling it a successful draft.
Thought he was a statistics major?

Anyway I agree, I think they did a tremendous job this year.
jaylittle03

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
jaylittle03 wrote:

I've read both and I think actuarial science is considered stats.....Go Lions!

Props to wi7son
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
jaylittle03 wrote:

I think he minored in Statistics and majored in Actuarial Science.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: