Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears select WR Marquess Wilson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebeast15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
seriously guys I question whether or not you understand how a roster is built, you have to cut somebody from my 53 in order to make room for these guys that have never taken a snap of NFL, and in the case of Wilson, are abysmal ST players (something they will have to do to make the roster). So...tell me who from my 53 are cutting to make room for these guys? They aren't making the roster, not this year, and I've seen nothing from Wilson that tells me he's more talented than Joe Anderson, who unlike Wilson, is a GREAT ST player.

Kyle Adams could be one.

You think we are going to carry 9 linemen? (not being sarcastic, serious question) ... I could see one between Scott and Mills being designated as the swing/primary backup. I don't think we carry both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeast15 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
seriously guys I question whether or not you understand how a roster is built, you have to cut somebody from my 53 in order to make room for these guys that have never taken a snap of NFL, and in the case of Wilson, are abysmal ST players (something they will have to do to make the roster). So...tell me who from my 53 are cutting to make room for these guys? They aren't making the roster, not this year, and I've seen nothing from Wilson that tells me he's more talented than Joe Anderson, who unlike Wilson, is a GREAT ST player.

Kyle Adams could be one.

You think we are going to carry 9 linemen? (not being sarcastic, serious question) ... I could see one between Scott and Mills being designated as the swing/primary backup. I don't think we carry both of them.
I don't see Mills on the outside and we need a swing OT, so yes I see 9 OL, especially given the premium we are placing on protecting the QB.

Kyle Adams is the first name I'd consider IF (and its a huge IF w/ Wilson, as I've seen nothing that makes me think he's remotely close to being a good player) Wilson plays WR better than Adams plays TE.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
thebeast15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Kyle Adams could be one.

I don't see Mills on the outside and we need a swing OT, so yes I see 9 OL, especially given the premium we are placing on protecting the QB.

Kyle Adams is the first name I'd consider IF (and its a huge IF w/ Wilson, as I've seen nothing that makes me think he's remotely close to being a good player) Wilson plays WR better than Adams plays TE.

Fair point. Not disagreeing with you there.

And I'm starting to come down the earth a little on the whole Wilson thing. I think he has the potential to be a very good player, but I can see where it will be hard for him to find a roster spot. However, I think he finds a way on.

Regarding Adams, we signed our pass blocking TE in Maneri, and we have our lead blocker in Rodriquez (it looks like as of this moment) ... So I think it will be tough for him to get a roster spot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

You are assuming Trestman will prioritize his roster they way Lovie did..

He claims to be aiming for an up tempo offense, and depending on the pace he's trying to set, having 1 or 2 extra receivers being thrown in occasionally to give the main guys a short break isn't out of the realm of possibility... *Of course, that would also be making the assumption that both (or even either of) Wilson/Harrison prove to be worth putting on the field at all, which is kind of an unlikely prospect for late round rookie receivers anyhow*

If they did prove themselves to be worth using rotationally, then you have to weigh the potential gains on offense, versus the potential losses on special teams and make a judgement call...

Personally, I think anyone who isn't a kicker who can't actually play their non special teams position is a complete waste of a roster slot, and there's plenty of fat to be trimmed from that area. Not really sure how Hester, for example, is getting to keep his job this year.

Then again, I see a similar problem with the lack of utilization of players like E-Rod and Armando Allen... both of whom could easily have bigger roles in the offense than *wait for Forte and Bush to get injured* and *wait for the 1 play a game where they use a fullback*. They both are more or less wasting a roster spot from lack of utilization.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

You are assuming Trestman will prioritize his roster they way Lovie did..

He claims to be aiming for an up tempo offense, and depending on the pace he's trying to set, having 1 or 2 extra receivers being thrown in occasionally to give the main guys a short break isn't out of the realm of possibility... *Of course, that would also be making the assumption that both (or even either of) Wilson/Harrison prove to be worth putting on the field at all, which is kind of an unlikely prospect for late round rookie receivers anyhow*

If they did prove themselves to be worth using rotationally, then you have to weigh the potential gains on offense, versus the potential losses on special teams and make a judgement call...

Personally, I think anyone who isn't a kicker who can't actually play their non special teams position is a complete waste of a roster slot, and there's plenty of fat to be trimmed from that area. Not really sure how Hester, for example, is getting to keep his job this year.

Then again, I see a similar problem with the lack of utilization of players like E-Rod and Armando Allen... both of whom could easily have bigger roles in the offense than *wait for Forte and Bush to get injured* and *wait for the 1 play a game where they use a fullback*. They both are more or less wasting a roster spot from lack of utilization.
It's a different coaching staff and you're going to see ERod used in a lot of different ways this year. Same w/ Allen. I think all 3 backs+ERod will carry the ball this year, and I think you'll see a lot of motion w/ ERod as well.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

Not disagreeing because Anderson was excellent on ST for us, but that Anderson was a Lovie UDFA and Wilson is a draft pick of this regime has at least some relevance in the discussion.

Ultimately Wilson has an uphill battle to make the team IMO but I don't think it's out of the question either. If he does I don't think it's at the expense of another receiver though but perhaps at the expense of a 7th LB or a 5th safety or corner.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:

There are multiple ways of keeping Wilson & Anderson on the same roster while maintaining plenty of ST depth…for example Lovie would always keep 9 DL on the roster…I doubt Trestman does the same given the talent we currently have up front…I would suspect we carry 8 Dlinemen this year with 7 WRs (including Hester)
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

There are multiple ways of keeping Wilson & Anderson on the same roster while maintaining plenty of ST depth…for example Lovie would always keep 9 DL on the roster…I doubt Trestman does the same given the talent we currently have up front…I would suspect we carry 8 Dlinemen this year with 7 WRs (including Hester)
Any projected 53 man roster will likely have to accommodate 5-6 injuries before it is even established. Thus, there will be room for players on the bubble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: