Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predict the 53
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KG1187

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebeast15 wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Wouldnít be shocked if the Bears cut Garza, made Williams the starter and make either Carimi or Brown play center. Makes sense on a number of levels.

1. Money- According to Sports Rac.com Cutting Garza would save roughly 2 million. Cutting Carimi would actually raise his cap hit by about 1 million. Thatís a 3 million dollar net difference between cutting Garza V Carimi.

2. Age- Garza 34, Carimi 25.

3. Potential- Garza is well past his prime while Carimi has been a disappointment he canít be written entirely just yet.

The Bears have to ask themselves if they think either Carimi or Brown could learn the C position. I also know Trestman said Gabe is an OG but he has the power to change that if he wants.

No.

You would take Edwin Williams and Carimi at C over Garza and Edwin Williams?

Edwin Williams is a serviceable backup, but not a starter IMO, and Carimi is not a center.

You could move either Brown or Carimi to C whoever fits best. Just saying that cutting Carimi costs an extra million whereas cutting Garza saves two million. The three 3 million dollar difference muddles the decision in my mind. Jay Glazer reported earlier this off season that Garza would have to fight for his job so itís not as farfetched as it sounds. Plus Garza really doesnít fit Kromers system size wise unlike Carimi or Brown.
thebeast15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
Wouldnít be shocked if the Bears cut Garza, made Williams the starter and make either Carimi or Brown play center. Makes sense on a number of levels.

1. Money- According to Sports Rac.com Cutting Garza would save roughly 2 million. Cutting Carimi would actually raise his cap hit by about 1 million. Thatís a 3 million dollar net difference between cutting Garza V Carimi.

3. Potential- Garza is well past his prime while Carimi has been a disappointment he canít be written entirely just yet.

The Bears have to ask themselves if they think either Carimi or Brown could learn the C position. I also know Trestman said Gabe is an OG but he has the power to change that if he wants.

No.

Edwin Williams is a serviceable backup, but not a starter IMO, and Carimi is not a center.

You could move either Brown or Carimi to C whoever fits best. Just saying that cutting Carimi costs an extra million whereas cutting Garza saves two million. The three 3 million dollar difference muddles the decision in my mind. Jay Glazer reported earlier this off season that Garza would have to fight for his job so itís not as farfetched as it sounds. Plus Garza really doesnít fit Kromers system size wise unlike Carimi or Brown.

Garza will be gone after this season either way. You stick on to him for one more year, draft his replacement next year. He's way more valuable to the team this year than Carimi or Williams would be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

No.

You want to move 6'8" Gabe Carimi to center??? Let me say that again, you want to move 6'8" Gabe Carimi to CENTER?????????????? Go look up NFL centers and see how tall they are, I'll give you a hint, it ain't 6'8" LOL

Gabe is going to have to polish up his resume, b/c as of 9/1, he's out of a job, if not before then (after June 1 the Bears can cut Carimi and his cap hit would be $1M less than currently, and would count half this year and half in 2014 when the Bears currently have $68M in cap space for 2014. And that's w/ paying Julius Peppers $15M in 2014.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot just move people to C it is a difficult position to at especially for guys who are tall and trying to pick it up at the NFL level.

Instead of trying to force some value out of Carimi we just move on and draft a C of the future next season.
thebeast15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
thebeast15 wrote:
KG1187 wrote:

No.

You want to move 6'8" Gabe Carimi to center??? Let me say that again, you want to move 6'8" Gabe Carimi to CENTER?????????????? Go look up NFL centers and see how tall they are, I'll give you a hint, it ain't 6'8" LOL

Gabe is going to have to polish up his resume, b/c as of 9/1, he's out of a job, if not before then (after June 1 the Bears can cut Carimi and his cap hit would be $1M less than currently, and would count half this year and half in 2014 when the Bears currently have $68M in cap space for 2014. And that's w/ paying Julius Peppers $15M in 2014.

Yeah that was a pretty asinine statement/suggestion lobbying for Gabe to be moved to center in itself. Lol. He ain't even making the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
You cannot just move people to C it is a difficult position to at especially for guys who are tall and trying to pick it up at the NFL level.

Instead of trying to force some value out of Carimi we just move on and draft a C of the future next season.
Amen Windy, Amen. Cut bait and move on, we're moving on from the Bears most recent first round bust. I say you give him the camp to try and beat out Slauson, and after he proves he can't you cut him and let him get started on using his degree that he thankfully earned.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Amen Windy, Amen. Cut bait and move on, we're moving on from the Bears most recent first round bust. I say you give him the camp to try and beat out Slauson, and after he proves he can't you cut him and let him get started on using his degree that he thankfully earned.
Another team will sign him.
chitownstar

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

You can't just cut a guy like Carimi, he still has too much potential to just let go of. He's coming off some injuries and needs to stay healthy in order to just get better. There no questioning that he has the talent to play RT or RG in the NFL, he just has to get his feet under him. He's 24 going on 25 and just starting his 3rd year in the league with only 10 or so starts under his belt. I'd give him at least one more season.

Willie Young - Adopt a Bear

#TurnUp
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownstar wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

You can't just cut a guy like Carimi, he still has too much potential to just let go of. He's coming off some injuries and needs to stay healthy in order to just get better. There no questioning that he has the talent to play RT or RG in the NFL, he just has to get his feet under him. He's 24 going on 25 and just starting his 3rd year in the league with only 10 or so starts under his belt. I'd give him at least one more season.
It is not the easy decisions which make a great leader. Cutting Carimi will be very difficult but might be one of those things which has to be done.

I am not convinced he is entirely healthy yet which makes this decision even more complex. I'm thinking IR might be the solution to this dilemma. Then tender him and at least get a supplementary picks should he be signed which he almost certainly will.

This is like the Columbo and Williams decision. With Columbo we bailed after three wasted years and THEN he was a starter for five years. With Williams we waited and he hasn't done anything since. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.
chitownstar

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

It is not the easy decisions which make a great leader. Cutting Carimi will be very difficult but might be one of those things which has to be done.

I am not convinced he is entirely healthy yet which makes this decision even more complex. I'm thinking IR might be the solution to this dilemma. Then tender him and at least get a supplementary picks should he be signed which he almost certainly will.

This is like the Columbo and Williams decision. With Columbo we bailed after three wasted years and THEN he was a starter for five years. With Williams we waited and he hasn't done anything since. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

To me Gabe would give us more value as a back-up/role player/prospect than he would if we were to tender then trade him. He is entering the 3rd year of a 4 year deal that he signed when he was drafted. He's due 1.9 mil this season and 2.2 next season but If we were able to re-negotiate to add some years and lower his cap number I would be in favor of keeping him.

#TurnUp
ak06max

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownstar wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

To me Gabe would give us more value as a back-up/role player/prospect than he would if we were to tender then trade him. He is entering the 3rd year of a 4 year deal that he signed when he was drafted. He's due 1.9 mil this season and 2.2 next season but If we were able to re-negotiate to add some years and lower his cap number I would be in favor of keeping him.

Exact!!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownstar wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
chitownstar wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

And again, just like the Marquess Wilson arguement, who are you keeping him over? If he can't play, he can't play. I don't want to hear the injury excuse. There's been plenty of people that have come back from injury waaaaaaaaaay too early and haven't failed to be at least competitive. Carimi is not. He can't play. And the thing is, its not like he hasn't shown here exactly what he showed at college either. He's the exact same player I evaluated 3 years ago.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carimi can be the back up RT and RG....oh wait

We drafts Jordan Mills who has not failed at the NFL level to fill that position.
chitownstar

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

We drafts Jordan Mills who has not failed at the NFL level to fill that position.

The only thing Carimi has over Mills is versatility. But in the end versatility earns you a roster spot when your a backup

#TurnUp
thebeast15

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chitownstar wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

The only thing Carimi has over Mills is versatility. But in the end versatility earns you a roster spot when your a backup

I wouldn't even go that far. Carimi, even when healthy, is very limited to just guard. Mills can play both guard or tackle. Carimi is as good as gone IMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: