Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mooche's 2013 Draft Breakdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mooche

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Mooche's 2013 Draft Breakdown Reply with quote

The front office entered this off-season on a mission. With oodles of cap-room, Ryan Grigson and co. made a plethora of moves that patched up a team with many needs, at a wide variety of positions. The notable signings of Laron Landry, Greg Toler, and Gosder Cherilus, are pick-ups that are going to immediately help bolster the roster of a team who surprised the entire NFL last year by sneaking into the playoffs. The most impressive aspect perhaps of these signings is the position that it placed the Colts heading into the 2013 NFL Draft.

The "cardiac kids" of the 2012/13 season proceeded into the draft with the mind-set of wantung to add hard-nosed, competitive players. As Chuck Pagano would say, players who want to continue to "build the monster."

1.24 - Bjoern Werner - OLB - Florida St. Seminoles

Heading into this process, I watched a lot of film on Werner. My impression of him was that he would be a productive 43 end in the league for many years. There was a lot made about his pass rushing ability, and to be perfectly honest, I always saw tremendous room for growth. Werner's most impressive attribute is his ability to set the edge and his dedication to stop the run. He made so many unsung plays to help the Seminoles this year on defense, and I expect him to be making the same type of impact when he puts on the blue and white. I couldn't stop making the comparison of Jarrett Johnson to Bjoern when thinking about his fit into Pagano's defense. He may never be as dominate against the run as Johnson during his time with the Ravens, but as I mentioned, this guy definitely has the ability to bend and apply pressure to the signal caller. Pagano clearly was impressed with his ability to play in space (highlighted at the combine), so as fans, I think we just need to sit tight and trust this front office that he will be able to pan out as 34 OLB.

3.86 - Hugh Thornton - OG - Illinois Fighting Illini

Damn, how can you not pull for this kid? I had an understanding that he had some off-the-field issues, but I had no idea that this young man had to battle through so much adversity at such a young age. I think he best projects to an interior player for the Colts. I threw on some more footage on Friday night to get a better grasp of his ability, and to be quite honest, it was such a pain watching the film. This guy really did it all for Illinois playing a variety of positions on the line, and it was almost like musical chairs in a sense with trying to find where he was lining up on a given play. He had an excellent showing against Michigan where he played left tackle, but he has an extremely bad habit to overextend and make bad choices with hand placement. With that said, this guy is an absolute mauler in the run game, and he has the mean streak to always finish the play by throwing his body at defenders. I love that.

4.121 - Khaled Homes - OC - Southern California Trojans

This was the first pick that kind of left me a tad pissed off from the front office. I think that the Colts drafted him with the mind-set of utilizing him as a utility man to help in a pinch, as he does have the ability to play guard if needed. However, I just don't like the move when we already have two capable centers in Shipley and Satele on the roster. What does he bring to the roster that we don't already have? On top of that, I was never really impressed with how he performed against top-end competition. Against Notre Dame he was rag-dolled for most of the game, and it just wasn't a good day at the office for him. I really hope I am wrong about this pick, but this was one pick that I didn't understand.

5.139 - Montori Hughes - DL - Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks

I've seen a ton of people complaining about the fact we gave up a 4th rounder next year. Relax, take a deep breath, and let's actually look at this move. If all goes all planned next year, the Colts should be able to continue to push for a record around 10-6/11-5 and will be picking later in the round - making this pick a few spots up from being a fifth rounder in actuality. As for the player, I can't lie, this pick really excites me. The Volunteers had high hopes for this kid, but as publicly documented, he made a lot of poor choices during his tenure. If Pagano can get the most out of this kid, he provides an incredible amount of versatility to the defensive line. Josh Chapman (I understand he is an unknown) paired up with this guy could really cause a lot of fits for the opposition trying to run the football. Let's face it, it's pretty clear the Colts understand the Texans, Titans, etc. are going to run the football. The selections of Werner and Hughes emphatically display the Colts aren't going to have any of that.

6.192 - John Boyett - S - Oregon Ducks

I mentioned in the Boyett pick thread, and I still stand by it, this selection might be my favorite. John Boyett is coming off two gruesome injuries, but this kid's attitude and will has driven him to continue to get better and compete. A lot of people made a big time stink about the 4.60 forty. Really? I mean, this guy ripped both of his pattela's, and he still clocked a better time than D.J. Swearinger (who I love as a prospect) picked in the second round by Houston. If you need any more proof, just watch some footage of this guy from his 2011 campaign. The Arizona tape was just a thing of beauty, as he was flying around the field demolishing pass-catchers, and making plays on the football. He has the mind-set to step up and punish the opposition, but this guy offers so much when he has the ball in his hands, as well. I am just thrilled to have a guy like this to learn behind Bethea and Landry, and in the sixth round, the value is just damn solid.

7.230 - Kerwynn Williams - RB - Utah St. Aggies

Let me be the first to say, I was impressed beyond belief how big Vick Ballard came up for the Colts in 2012 in critical moments. He showed flashes that he can certainly be a workhorse back for the club, but the one thing that was evident in his game was his lack of ability in the passing game. I didn't mind his pass protection, however, I wasn't happy with the amount of drops that he ended up slipping through his hands. Williams is the compliment that this team needed. Utah St. loved to run delayed screens, throw him out wide, and utilize his full skill-set by getting him into the open field and letting him. I know much has been made about the "no coast offense" Pep Hamilton will be employing. Make no mistake, he loves to get his 'backs into the open field with quick passes, letting them create yards after the catch. This was evident with Stepfan Taylor at Stanford, and I think Luck will be the one applauding this decision down the road, as this will surely make his life easier having a weapon he can check it down to out of the backfield.

7.254 - Justice Cunningham - TE - South Carolina Gamecocks

Another tight-end, really?! Just playing. Justice is a pretty solid pick who I have a feeling will stick with the Colts. His best aspect of his game is definitely his blocking ability. With the switch to the Pep Hamilton offense, if his time at Stanford is any indication, he is going to need the pass-catching threat (Fleener) as well as the big bodied player who can lock onto the defender and control the line of scrimmage. Cunningham aka Mr. Irrelevant should be a nice addition to the roster. I'm interested to see how the coaching staff employs his talent on the field.

On the whole, this is a draft that won't be racking up any infamous grades from the speculators of the draft. I'm aware of that, and honestly, I'm completely fine with that. This is a crop of talent that is extremely hard-working, teachable, and has the ability to mature under the guidance of our coaching staff. If there is anything I've learned over this little stretch with Grigson controlling the decisions, it is simply to just believe and trust in this front office. The future for the Indianapolis Colts looks very bright.
bladefd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good draft breakdown. Enjoyed reading it. I didn't know most of those guys as I really don't watch college football so that helped better gauge how our draft went Smile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing more to say, other than I wish we had drafted a Wide Reciever. Like that we got a running back though and drafted some guys for the offensive line to protect Andrew Luck.
Mooche

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it!

As for the WR issue, I can understand the decision from the front office not to make a move for a wide-out. Let's take a look at what we have on the roster in the way of pass catchers:

Wayne, Heyward-Bey, Hilton, Brazill, Fleener, and Allen.

Is that one hell of an impressive group? No, not entirely. However, the picked up DHB with every intention of him being able to use his athletic ability to make some plays for the team. I personally am not expecting a ton, but having Luck throwing him the ball will surely help him put some numbers up. On top of that, the Colts went offense-heavy last draft and spent many high picks on weapons. I expect Fleener to start to pick up his play from last season under Pep, and I still trust that somewhere down the line Brazill will be able to help contribute.
PeytonFan18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when I view WR as a need, it isn't to get another body for the position, its to get a player who could eventually replace Reggie Wayne.

Now, you never replace a Reggie Wayne, but you also don't have much of a chance to replace him outside the 3rd round. So for those of us who wished the team had gone WR, think about any 3rd day pick and whether they would have seen the field over the group we already have? Then think about the fact that we made two fantastic picks in Werner and Thornton, and talk about who you might want to replace. Finally, think about Fleener and Allen and Hilton. These guys were huge for us, and the fact of the matter is, they were rookies. If they each get better in their sophmore season, we could have one of the better all around receiving corps in the NFL.

Images courtesy of the great IndyColt#88
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mooche

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hit the nail right on the head.

As much as I loved this WR group depth, I don't see any of those guys really making the splash we need for the future as the #1 WR.

That's an area we can address further down the road. I'm just pleased we've been able to get such production out of Reggie. His campaign last year was nothing short of spectacular.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: