Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers Select Marcus Cooper with the 252nd pick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: 49ers Select Marcus Cooper with the 252nd pick Reply with quote

We got our BIG corner here fellas at 6'2 195lbs. At Rutgers' pro day, Cooper ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 39 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-9 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.42 seconds and the three-cone drill in 6.89 seconds. He performed 20 lifts of 225 pounds on the bench press.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the measurables are awesome
but why did he fall so low?

It's Hard
It's rough
and it doesn take crap off anyone
ninerfanwheelz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine with me. Let him compete

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I hear within 5 years the fans at Jags games will be able to vote via Twitter on the in-game playcalls.
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and theres our high potential measurables guy

still cant believe we used so many picks. and also NO ol and 1 db until comp 7s

new sig... sorry alex
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former wide receiver who just recently switched over.
Trying to find info and game tape. But there isn't much.

new sig... sorry alex
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big, physical, fast, and athletic. Paired with Donatell. Any chance he makes an impact?
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for size, speed and athleticism again. Two or three years ago I thought our team speed was way to slow and overall our guys weren't overly athletic. Glad to see that changing. Of course, they sstill have to have football skills too. Maybe this guy can beat out Brock- that's a pretty low hurdle to cleear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Going for size, speed and athleticism again. Two or three years ago I thought our team speed was way to slow and overall our guys weren't overly athletic. Glad to see that changing. Of course, they sstill have to have football skills too. Maybe this guy can beat out Brock- that's a pretty low hurdle to cleear.

Why the dig at Brock? He's extremely fast and physical for his size, being he was a safety in college. As 5th CBs go, he's pretty good talent. He was tendered as a RFA for a reason. Nothing wrong with Brock, or his role except he's a little on the shorter side.

Cooper has some skills which the work with. Has some ST ability. I see us stashing him on the PS for a year, letting him develop a little. Then giving him a shot to see if he can't crack the 53 in 2014.
Pandomonium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

+1

I'd like to see a deeper secondary than what we have had in the past.
watching the draft I was noticing teams taking DBs left and right in the mid rounds. I feel like we're understaffed at DB for what we are going to see this year in the way of passing attacks.

I hope we can apply enough pressure up front so it won't matter that our back end is not all that hot.

It's Hard
It's rough
and it doesn take crap off anyone
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our secondary is loaded up well enough for the present. It's probably just concerning others (like me) that we have a lot of short-term players (seemingly) and we didn't stock up for the future by taking advantage of such a thick and talented CB class. Still... I'm sure a plan is in place, so I don't think we will leave ourselves in a desperate bind after the season.

___
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
I think our secondary is loaded up well enough for the present. It's probably just concerning others (like me) that we have a lot of short-term players (seemingly) and we didn't stock up for the future by taking advantage of such a thick and talented CB class. Still... I'm sure a plan is in place, so I don't think we will leave ourselves in a desperate bind after the season.
Everybody keeps saying that, but where would we keep all these CB's for the future? Any non-first round talent we added would have almost no shot at making the roster over Rogers, Aso, Brown, and Cully. Also if we tried to put them on the PS, they would get swooped up by somebody else and we would have wasted a pick. Even if we lose all of the first three guys (Rogers, Brown, Aso) next year, we will do what it takes to field a secondary. We will get a discount FA or two, and use a high draft pick on one. Chances are we will keep one of them though IMO, and if we have Brown and Culliver (for example) we have two starting caliber CBs and our situation seems much less dire.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFaithful97 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Everybody keeps saying that, but where would we keep all these CB's for the future? Any non-first round talent we added would have almost no shot at making the roster over Rogers, Aso, Brown, and Cully.

I see where you are coming from, but you kinda answered the question in the same post. You named 4 CBs.. the supposed mid-rd rookie CB selected would be #5... therefore pushing Brock off the roster.. which many love the idea of. That rookie CB would have a multi-year deal, and therefore be one more CB to have 2013 under his belt in our system and a roster spot for more playing time in the following years. (vs Brock on a 1 yr tender)

SFaithful97 wrote:
Even if we lose all of the first three guys (Rogers, Brown, Aso) next year, we will do what it takes to field a secondary.

This is something I stated in that post you quoted as well.

___
oldman9er

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ ... but then I think of another CB not mentioned... Perrish Cox. So yeah, selecting a rookie CB in the mid-rd would likely guarantee that both Cox and Brock are getting booted. So, it does make some sense that we waited so long to address corner. I actually think our group of CBs are solid... but like I said.. maybe people are just very uncomfortable with having so many corners with such short contracts remaining.

___
SFaithful97

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
SFaithful97 wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Everybody keeps saying that, but where would we keep all these CB's for the future? Any non-first round talent we added would have almost no shot at making the roster over Rogers, Aso, Brown, and Cully.

I see where you are coming from, but you kinda answered the question in the same post. You named 4 CBs.. the supposed mid-rd rookie CB selected would be #5... therefore pushing Brock off the roster.. which many love the idea of. That rookie CB would have a multi-year deal, and therefore be one more CB to have 2013 under his belt in our system and a roster spot for more playing time in the following years. (vs Brock on a 1 yr tender)

SFaithful97 wrote:
Even if we lose all of the first three guys (Rogers, Brown, Aso) next year, we will do what it takes to field a secondary.

This is something I stated in that post you quoted as well.
Yeah, my post wasn't directed at you specifically, you just happened to be the last one to post on the subject. To the first point you make in response though, I would say that any mid-round guy would have trouble beating Brock/Cox for that 5th roster spot and we would face the same problems in trying to stash them on the PS.

MAC DRE wrote:
I'd rather have young Wagner and Wright going forward than Willis and Bowman.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: