Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sylvester Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article here. Love the emphasis on hard work, good character and leadership. The fact he's also a workout junkie can't hurt. Wink
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23124075/denver-broncos-rookie-sylvester-williams-took-slow-lane
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Reggie Nelson#1 wrote:
Sylvester Williams looks like a bigger version of Tech N9ne.

Lmao that's an amazing comparison

I'm so happy about this.

"GET THA QB TECHHHHHH N9NE!!!! 151 MALIBU RUM BABBBBBBY"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad tape against a few teams

Props to Jamison on the sig
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b_rent87 wrote:
Bad tape against a few teams

I understand the need for objectivity, but anyone but Leon Sandcastle has had some bad tape at some point.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done watching the Virginia Tech game. This is literally the first game I have seen him play, so bear that in mind ...

It seems to me this guy is someone who wants to penetrate the backfield. Doesn't matter if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd down either. His favourite move without question is the swim/club move, which given his position makes sense. Do we have the measurables on this guy? It seemed to me his arms are ridiculously long, and he uses them really well to get his arm over his opponent. As soon as you get your arm past an interior OL as a DT, its all over.

Not only does this allow you to beat your man, but it also allows you to split double teams. I was disappointed that the Hokies ran next to no zone running plays, so I didn't get a feel at all for his lateral agility. Williams played a lot snaps, and he tired as the game went on which saw him playing too high at times, but for the most part I was impressed with how low he played.

From what I saw, Williams is definitely a penetrator on all 3 downs. He isn't a guy who is going to run around anyone or spin past anyone. Obviously this is a loose comparison given how I have seen one game, but he reminded me a lot of Geno Atkins. Did anyone else make this comparison leading up to the draft?

Its great to see a young guy use his arms as well as Williams does, and for that reason I think he can be effective early. It also great that he wants to get in the backfield, because that is the best way to stop zone running plays (how many years have we seen our interior DL just flow down the line against zone running plays???) Is Ed Wang's brother (David) supposed to be any good? Williams destroyed him and Andrew Miller the Center for VT. Both Wang and Miller are Juniors, so I don't have a clue if they are highly touted or not.

Jersey mentioned the Virginia game to watch, so I will try that next.

MUFC OK
hibdib31

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I just got done watching the Virginia Tech game. This is literally the first game I have seen him play, so bear that in mind ...

It seems to me this guy is someone who wants to penetrate the backfield. Doesn't matter if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd down either. His favourite move without question is the swim/club move, which given his position makes sense. Do we have the measurables on this guy? It seemed to me his arms are ridiculously long, and he uses them really well to get his arm over his opponent. As soon as you get your arm past an interior OL as a DT, its all over.

Not only does this allow you to beat your man, but it also allows you to split double teams. I was disappointed that the Hokies ran next to no zone running plays, so I didn't get a feel at all for his lateral agility. Williams played a lot snaps, and he tired as the game went on which saw him playing too high at times, but for the most part I was impressed with how low he played.

From what I saw, Williams is definitely a penetrator on all 3 downs. He isn't a guy who is going to run around anyone or spin past anyone. Obviously this is a loose comparison given how I have seen one game, but he reminded me a lot of Geno Atkins. Did anyone else make this comparison leading up to the draft?

Its great to see a young guy use his arms as well as Williams does, and for that reason I think he can be effective early. It also great that he wants to get in the backfield, because that is the best way to stop zone running plays (how many years have we seen our interior DL just flow down the line against zone running plays???) Is Ed Wang's brother (David) supposed to be any good? Williams destroyed him and Andrew Miller the Center for VT. Both Wang and Miller are Juniors, so I don't have a clue if they are highly touted or not.

Thanks for the review. I remember this game, Williams was quite the pest.

To answer a couple of your questions, I think I did see at least one comparison of Sly to Geno - I'll see if I can dig it up. I don't know much about Andrew Miller, but I know David Wang came to Tech as a defensive tackle, so they must have converted him over to offensive line. Either way, I don't think he is highly regarded, but that shouldn't take away from Sly's performance.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/photos/gallery/_/id/8661120/image/15/geno-atkins-cincinnati-sylvester-williams-unc-20-nfl-draft-prospects-know-their-nfl-counterparts

^ ESPN made that comparison as well.

I think he played hurt majority of last season, could be a reason why he was out of gas towards the end.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/photos/gallery/_/id/8661120/image/15/geno-atkins-cincinnati-sylvester-williams-unc-20-nfl-draft-prospects-know-their-nfl-counterparts

Ha, well if McShay made the comparison I must have been mistaken Laughing

MUFC OK
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got done watching the Virginia game.

By and large, I thought he was pretty average for the first half, but you could see his ankle was giving him a lot of grief (heavily strapped up). Second half he was just too much for Virginia to handle. What I like about him is that his traits translate well to the pro game.

He is very, very quick off the ball and his swim move can beat single blocks as well as splitting double teams. If you read my VT game review, you will see I was disappointed they didn't run more zone plays; Virginia did, and Williams was really impressive. The best way to stop zone running plays is interior disruption. For many years we have been abused by zone running teams due to lack of disruption upfront and I think Williams has what it takes to be that disruptive presence.

He can penetrate, but he keeps his eyes in the backfield which is rare for a young, high motor DT like him. I think he needs to improve his pad level a little bit, but again - the ankle was clearly bothering him in this game.

Very impressed against VT, not so impressed against Louisville and impressed against Virginia sums it up Laughing

MUFC OK
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I just got done watching the Virginia game.

By and large, I thought he was pretty average for the first half, but you could see his ankle was giving him a lot of grief (heavily strapped up). Second half he was just too much for Virginia to handle. What I like about him is that his traits translate well to the pro game.

He is very, very quick off the ball and his swim move can beat single blocks as well as splitting double teams. If you read my VT game review, you will see I was disappointed they didn't run more zone plays; Virginia did, and Williams was really impressive. The best way to stop zone running plays is interior disruption. For many years we have been abused by zone running teams due to lack of disruption upfront and I think Williams has what it takes to be that disruptive presence.

He can penetrate, but he keeps his eyes in the backfield which is rare for a young, high motor DT like him. I think he needs to improve his pad level a little bit, but again - the ankle was clearly bothering him in this game.

Very impressed against VT, not so impressed against Louisville and impressed against Virginia sums it up Laughing

He was known to be playing through that injury for most of the season FWIW. Thanks for the writeup though man, good stuff as usual

Thanks, Tzimisce
EMG58

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iLikeDefense wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

I think he played hurt majority of last season, could be a reason why he was out of gas towards the end.

Bucky Brooks in NFL.com also made that comparison in their player comparison vids.
Vonpolean

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be fantastic if he was as good as Geno... However I would not go based off of those comparisons.

Compared Mingo to D Ware and Werner to Chris Long?

Its the white guy compared to the white guy thing again.

And Joeckel compared to Staley? Staley is much more athletic.

And lets compare the USC guy Barkley to the USC Sanchez...

And the Kenny Britt and Justin Hunter Comp?

And this may be a bit more accurate but Star L to Ngata? Is it because they are both from a Pacific Islander Heritage?

Anyways back to Sly. I don't see him being as dominant as Geno but he can be very good applying a consistent pressure for our interior front.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vonpolean wrote:

And this may be a bit more accurate but Star L to Ngata? Is it because they are both from a Pacific Islander Heritage?

I know there is no malicious intent in these comments, but we DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, discuss or mention race/ethnicity here at Football's Future. Thanks.

Please take a minute to review the forum rules, things are done differently here than elsewhere around the web.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9338

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Vonpolean

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Vonpolean wrote:

I know there is no malicious intent in these comments, but we DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, discuss or mention race/ethnicity here at Football's Future. Thanks.

Please take a minute to review the forum rules, things are done differently here than elsewhere around the web.

I apologize just tired of always seeing comparisons made such as that in the media.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vonpolean wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Vonpolean wrote:

I apologize just tired of always seeing comparisons made such as that in the media.

Oh I hear you, man, lazy analysis is lazy analysis. And as a member of the media, I know that first hand! And no need to apologize, it's just my and elliot878's job to make sure the Webmaster's rules are known by all.

Welcome to the forum, seems like you'll be a great contributor here!

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: