Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 140th pick Arizona Selects - Stepfan Taylor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: With the 140th pick Arizona Selects - Stepfan Taylor Reply with quote

STRENGHTS: Well-built with a thick, powerful lower half. Commits quickly to the hole and possesses adequate initial burst to clear it before it collapses.

Doesn't shy away from contact, and keeps his feet churning on impact. Keeps his weight forward through the hole and on contact, and is able to grind out the extra half-yard falling down. Protects the ball well through traffic, and exhibits awareness to shift the ball to his outside hand prior to engaging defenders.

Although his skill set suits a one-cut running system, he does display some shiftiness and wiggle to make defenders miss in space. Possesses surprising burst out of a redirect or stop-start.

Highly effective pass-catcher, consistently plucking the ball off his frame and looking it in before turning upfield. Gets his eyes upfield quickly after the catch and wastes little motion in transition.

Relied upon heavily at Stanford to stay home and pass protect, and did so effectively, particularly on cut-blocks and chips, where he displayed good physicality and use of low leverage.

WEAKNESSES: Will get over-eager on set-up runs to the outside, and will out-pace his blocks as a result. Doesn't always spot the cutback lane, and will engage defenders head-on rather than utilize open lateral space. Is a low-step runner who is too easy to bring down at the ankles.

Can be indecisive when presented with multiple holes, and hesitation results in missed opportunity due to lack of elite initial burst. Runs a bit narrow-footed in space resulting in the occasional balance check when asked to jump-cut or move laterally with suddenness.

Is not a burner, and lacks a second gear to pull away from secondaries. Despite his knack for grinding out the extra yard, is not a pile-mover and lacks raw power to consistently pound out excessive yards after contact.

COMPARES TO: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Bengals - Like Green-Ellis, Taylor does not possess any one elite physical tool or attribute, but brings an element of toughness and consistent production as a runner to go with highly-coveted versatility in the passing game as a receiver and blocker.

--Derek Stephens

STRENGTHS - Taylor is a well put together all-purpose running back who is a three down player for the next level. He is a physical player who can do it all. He does a very good job of running the ball between the tackles with good vision and power, breaking arm tackles easily. He has good vision to take the ball into the correct hole to gain the necessary yards in short yardage situations. He is patient and allows the play to form and won't hurry it by being too aggressive with the ball in his hands. He has shown some ability to cut the ball back and make defenders miss (see the USC game) and run into open space. One of Taylor's strengths is in pass protection where he is stout enough to anchor and sink his hips against linebackers and quick enough to pick up the speed rush on the edge off the line. His ability in pass protection will keep him on the field in the NFL. Taylor makes himself available for his quarterback and does a solid job of running routes. He picks the ball away from his body with natural hands and is a reliable third-down pass catcher. Considering the tough brand of football that Taylor plays, he hasn't missed a game in two years.

WEAKNESSES - Taylor isn't a speed merchant and won't blow anyone away with speed, but he plays faster than he timed at the combine. He isn't explosive from a quickness standpoint, and is more a grinder than a speed back. While he has been very productive as Stanford's lead back, he doesn't possess elite physical tools and isn't going to wow scouts who look for the home-run hitter. He isn't going to tear apart defenses by running and turning the corner with speed. While he occasionally shows the lateral agility to make defenders miss, it's almost like he prefers to run to contact and making defenders miss isn't a strength. He lacks the explosiveness and elusiveness in the open field to be a special back in space.

SUMMARY - Stepfan Taylor is one of this class' most intriguing running backs. He is an all-purpose back who has the skills to stay on the field at all times. He is a pounding, grinding runner who gets prettier on film the more you watch him run the ball. While he doesn't possess any elite athletic trait while carrying the ball, he is good at everything he does and there is tremendous value in the security of Taylor's skill set. He is a very good short-yardage runner who knows how much yardage he needs, and he will get it because he runs with very good forward body lean. There is a lot to like with Taylor, perhaps nothing as valuable to a team as his ability on pass protection, and picking up the blitzer. He has the bulk to anchor and take on bigger linebackers in the hole, and the vision to take on the speed coming from the edge. He will earn a spot on a team simply because of how well he handles pass protection. Taylor is also skilled at catching the ball out of the back field and does a nice job as a safety valve for his quarterback. Coming from the pro-style offense at Stanford, he is pro-ready and can come in and help out right away. He lacks the foot speed to be explosive and elusive out in the open field and won't be anything special in space. He shouldn't be looked at as a home-run hitter, but more as a consistent plodder in all phases who is highly adept at protecting the quarterback in pass protection. Overall, he deserves early-to-mid third-round draft consideration by a team looking for an extremely safe draft pick to play as a power back in a committee.

Via - Russ Lande

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very happy with him at RB pick.

That right I won. Thank you NS922 for the Sig.
apollo14000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my favorite Day 3 pick so far. A lot was made of his poor 40 time at the combine (4.76) but he improved that at his pro day (4.64). He's got similar speed to Montee Ball so I'm fine with that. Unfortunately, he also carried the ball a ton in college. Fortunately he's ready to contribute right away.

I would have like Joseph Randle more but this is a great pick and a great fit.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physical back, power behind Williams juke.

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
shawn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as I would like to just let his tape speak for itself, his size/speed ratio is too underwhelming to overlook.

sig made by mike23md
AZPSquared

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pick. Only concern is the tread on his tires.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_00ziPxn0Os&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The Rebuild Has Begun...
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes a stud. just a solid all around back.
will cheer for him (most games)

new sig... sorry alex
Baixis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite RB in the draft! So pissed my team passed on him. You guys did the same thing with Ryan Williams - loved him too. If he can stay healthy, you guys will have an awesome combo! And Ellington too?! Swope?!

You guys had one of the best drafts IMO - maybe THE best! Unfortunately, I think the Rams had a great draft too! And while SF and Seattle's drafts weren't as good as yours, they didn't need as much either. Cant' wait to watch these four teams play! I pity the teams that have to play against them!!!
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys thought I hated you before, this pick seals the deal. Taylor will probably be around for 4 years max, but he is a stud. Dont be fooled by his 40 time. He has game speed and great vision. I have watched him all through out his college career. He's a gamer.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: