Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 4, Pick 130 - Kyle Juszczyk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
The more I think about this pick, the more I think that Vonta Leach's roster spot is safe but Anthony Allen will be looking for work soon.

That crossed my mind too. Allen was a good blocker on kickoff returns last season, sprung Jacoby a couple of times for return TDs, but did nothing on offense. So perhaps they figure that KJ will be an upgrade on both.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm watching video of KJ on youtube, and I can see why the Ravens went for him.

Fullback? Not a bit of it. Yes, he can block and drill LBs, but Harvard line him up as TE and as a slot receiver, running routes. And he's so physical when getting YAC. Big, strong, athletic, looks like he has some nice speed, good hands.

He's going to offer the Ravens a little of Leach, a little of Pitta, and actually a little of Boldin. Jim Caldwell and Joe Flacco are going to love this guy. Opposing LBs and secondaries are not.

I'm genuinely excited about this guy now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if there's a position that describes him best it's probably H-back. He actually caught 22 TDs at Harvard. It's hard to tell if Juszcyzk has any running ability since he only had 3 carries in college but this guy is a legitimate offensive weapon.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me a bit of Dallas Clark.

But, watching his highlights, I like him. Very versatile. Plus, we can yell "JUUUUUICE" whenever he touches the ball. Nice.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah if there's a position that describes him best it's probably H-back. He actually caught 22 TDs at Harvard. It's hard to tell if Juszcyzk has any running ability since he only had 3 carries in college but this guy is a legitimate offensive weapon.

Rushing out of the backfield, I'm not sure about. But he's definitely going to be hard to bring down when he's got the ball in his hands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGgxbA1jd0&feature=player_embedded

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I meant, Juszcyzk definitely has run-after-the-catch ability. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to occasionally run the ball out of the backfield it's just that he basically had no in-game experience doing so. Just think if Cameron was still the offensive coordinator we might have seen Juszcyzk on some end-arounds/reverses! I guess we'll just have to live without it.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Yeah that's what I meant, Juszcyzk definitely has run-after-the-catch ability. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to occasionally run the ball out of the backfield it's just that he basically had no in-game experience doing so. Just think if Cameron was still the offensive coordinator we might have seen Juszcyzk on some end-arounds/reverses! I guess we'll just have to live without it.

Damn. I was looking forward to those end-arounds. Though while on the subject, he lead-blocks on a few reverses on tape. Nice speed to get out into the open field and nail defenders.

I think I even saw him take a couple of direct snaps in wildcat formation as well.... We can probably do without that.

I can see the Dallas Clark comparisons. I imagine Jim Caldwell was pushing for this pick.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From watching the 2 cut-ups I could find of him, he doesn't look like a replacement for a true FB in any form. He is a H-back at best, but looks more like our #3 TE for 2013 and probable #2 TE in the future (once Dickson leaves at the end of the year).

He was lined up split out wide a lot and seems more like a move-and-seal type blocker than someone who will regularly lay people out like Leach does. He also seems like a bit of a body catcher to me.

He certainly does have pretty good YAC ability, but its a little hard to figure out just how good given the level of football he played (and the quality of athlete he mostly played against). He certainly has the athleticism based on his Pro-Day numbers though (4.7 40 with a 1.6 10yd split, 6.93 3 cone, 10ft broad and 37" vert).

For those interested, these are the videos I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Lt-xC4WOE (Yale 2011)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FI-TQyAO8I (Princeton 2012)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtgc6hgjN28 (Senior Bowl)

I love the double move he uses at 2:45 of the second game to get open for a TD.

I can certainly see the Dallas Clark comparison - we can only hope he reaches something near that ability. His pro-day numbers also compare well with Aaron Hernandez (not that Im saying he'll be as good as either of Clark or Hernandez, just that I see him being that style of player)

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I thought he was JUST another Fullback, but now reading through this and hearing about his versatility and such, I really hope he's an H back like I hoped we would add to the roster, meaning we can free up some cap space by dumping Vonta (as much as I love him) or something like that.

I can agree with this pick, and I hope they find ways to get this guy on the field. As for the Marcel Reece comparison, let's cool it a little...there is not ONE player in the NFL who can be compared to Marcel Reece.

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
He also seems like a bit of a body catcher to me.

I noticed that too. He seems to tend to do that when he's uncovered, and has time to let the ball come to him. But there are some more athletic catches on his highlight reel, so hopefully the Ravens can focus on that, because he's going to be covered a lot more in the NFL than he was at Harvard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also find it interesting he's been pegged as a FB (both at the Senior Bowl and by Ozzie/Harbs during the presser) given that he barely ever lined up at FB for Harvard (and when he did it was usually on a reverse or option run) and wasn't exactly blowing LBs and DBs out of the hole during the Senior Bowl game either.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised no one has mentioned Chris Cooley as a comparison. Hernandez is a decent one, too.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: