Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: 183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about this kid?

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
Saint-Anger_13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a link with some footage on him, not much info on him. I looked on the NFLN and the screen was blank.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/21/4185014/nfl-draft-2013-seahawks-sleepers-de-rufus-johnson-tarleton-state
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton Reply with quote

I had ZERO idea who he was... did some research and found some interesting stuff. Dominated his level of competition, has the size, speed and strength of a DeMarcus Ware type.

If Rob Ryan is truly a great linebackers coach, we could very well have a true sleeper on our hands here... will likely take a year or two though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Tweeters:

Mike Triplett

Quote:
#Saints DE Rufus Johnson had 10 sacks last year, 17.5 tackles for loss, forced fumble. As junior had 5.5 sacks, 15.5 tackles for loss, 1 FF.

Quote:
Per Brandt, #Saints Johnson 6-4 1/2, 266 pounds. Ran 40 in 4.75 and 4.78 seconds at pro day. Had a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from Triplett:

Quote:
Per Optimum Scouting report, #Saints DE Johnson is raw (obviously) but explosive. Shined at Texas vs. the Nation All-Star game ...

Quote:
As scout @draftjm13 reminds me, #Saints Junior Galette and Joe Morgan also turned heads at Texas vs. Nation game. ...

Quote:
Murphy said #Saints Johnson did all reps at DE that week, but shows enough athleticism in space to potentially be tried as 3-4 olb.

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is extremely athletic, and fast. He was running back there with recievers covering them in the North Alabama game. That's the only game of his on YouTube though, so if you want to watch film on him you will have to watch a very boring game of Tarleton vs North Alabama. Laughing

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2013/round/6/pick/15

Dude seems to be a freak... will be an OLB but will take time to acclimate him to this level of competition.

PS: Could you have a better name as a freakish linebacker than Rufus Johnson? Laughing

whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton Reply with quote

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/media-center/audio/DE-Rufus-Johnson-Talks-About-Joining-Saints/dc54d146-f577-45ed-bc20-d988a5d54ff0

Nice to see a young guy like Rufus realize his dream, you can tell in his voice how much being selected means to him.

domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he was drafted based solely on name, that's a good pick. Laughing

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 34 receptions, 278 yards, 1 first downs, 1 TD - 5 rushes, 64 yards, 3 first downs
Corey White - 29 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 fumble recovery
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton Reply with quote

Saints took Rufus Johnson over more decorated prospects such as Cornelius Washington, Bacarri Rambo & Michael Buchanan.

The Saints must really feel highly about this guys potential.

MPjeffryred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Saints took Rufus Johnson over more decorated prospects such as Cornelius Washington, Bacarri Rambo & Michael Buchanan.

I believe that the Saints feel he could develop into a rush OLB and that Washington and Buchanan do not have the agility or speed to do that. Rambo went undrafted and I suspect that he might have had another drug violation which already has plauged him at Georgia. If Johnson can play both DE and also rush OLB, he will cement a place on the roster. I also like the fact that Chase Thomas was signed as an undrafted free agent.

The front office and coaching staff made the most out of the opportunities they had. The free agent signings were as impressive as I can remember with Thomas, ILB Kevin Reddick, CB Rod Sweeting and also Ryan Griffin. All of those were expected to be drafted; some were to go in rounds 3-4! The pick that I first questioned was Kenny Stills as there were other defensive players I would have preferred. But, as I investigated he also had a round 3-4 grade. I see Henderson out with this pick and think Nick Toon may be in trouble. Unless we trade a starting WR, I think Toon's roster position may be most threatened.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 183rd Pick, Rufus Johnson, DE, Tarleton Reply with quote

MPjeffryred wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

I believe that the Saints feel he could develop into a rush OLB and that Washington and Buchanan do not have the agility or speed to do that. Rambo went undrafted and I suspect that he might have had another drug violation which already has plauged him at Georgia. If Johnson can play both DE and also rush OLB, he will cement a place on the roster. I also like the fact that Chase Thomas was signed as an undrafted free agent.

The front office and coaching staff made the most out of the opportunities they had. The free agent signings were as impressive as I can remember with Thomas, ILB Kevin Reddick, CB Rod Sweeting and also Ryan Griffin. All of those were expected to be drafted; some were to go in rounds 3-4! The pick that I first questioned was Kenny Stills as there were other defensive players I would have preferred. But, as I investigated he also had a round 3-4 grade. I see Henderson out with this pick and think Nick Toon may be in trouble. Unless we trade a starting WR, I think Toon's roster position may be most threatened.

Umm.. what? Rambo got drafted in the 6th by the Redskins.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: