Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With pick 104 the Miami Dolphins select Jelani Jenkins, OLB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: With pick 104 the Miami Dolphins select Jelani Jenkins, OLB Reply with quote

Jenkins may lack the prototypical size scouts prefer at outside linebacker, but as evidenced by the fact that three "undersized" linebackers last year were among the first 100 players selected, NFL teams may be acknowledging that quickness and coverage ability can supersede size and strength for linebackers in today's high-octane passing league.

It would be premature to compare Jenkins to the Philadelphia Eagles' Mychal Kendricks (5-11, 239), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Lavonte David (6-1, 233) or the Pittsburgh Steelers' Sean Spence (5-11, 231) at this time, but the same kind of playmaking ability that led to these linebackers earning the No. 46, 58 and 86 overall picks, respectively, is evident in Jenkins' game.

Jenkins appeared in two games for the Gators as a true freshman but was given a redshirt. Since then, he has started 23 of a possible 26 contests and has racked up 153 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, seven pass breakups, four sacks, two interceptions and has both forced and recovered a fumble.

Unfortunately, while Jenkins shows promise, he struggled in 2012 and surprised many with his decision to leave early for the draft anyway. Suffering from various injuries in 2012 (including thumb, hamstring and foot injuries), Jenkins missed four games (including the Sugar Bowl) and generally played tentatively. He registered just 29 tackles, two sacks and an interception in his final season.

Kendricks, David and Spence all returned for their senior campaigns and benefitted from the mature decision. Should Jenkins not dazzle in pre-draft workouts, he could easily slip into Day Three of the draft and wish he'd done the same.

Analysis

Strengths:

Possesses a compact build, which makes him stouter than his height might indicate. Extremely aggressive, especially against the run. Attacks the line of scrimmage, showing the ability to slip gaps and make impressive tackles for loss. Has great speed to the edges. Flashes explosive hitting ability and generally has done a nice job of making the wrap-up tackle over his career, though this wasn't always the case in 2012. Good athleticism in coverage, showing the agility and speed to handle this role in the NFL.

Weaknesses:

Lacks the size teams prefer at the position and was frequently nicked up during his collegiate career, including during what turned out to be his final season at Florida. Attacks the line of scrimmage and can get swallowed up by the humanity, losing sight of the ball and shows inconsistent effort turning to help in pursuit. Inconsistent in his ability to get off blocks, often struggling to do so if his opponent is able to latch on. Must improve his functional strength in this area to prove anything more than a "chase" linebacker.

Compares To: Geno Hayes, OLB, Chicago Bears

From Bleacher Report

Fellow Florida teammates Sharrif Floyd and Matt Elam may have warranted more of the pre-draft spotlight, but if recent drafting trends are any indication, linebacker Jelani Jenkins may still have a chance to crack the top 100 picks in the 2013 NFL draft.

Somewhat undersized, the ultra-athletic Jenkins can look to players such as Mychal Hendricks and Lavonte David—similarly sized linebackers who went No. 46 and No. 58 in the 2012 draft, respectively—as trail blazers for his potential selection this year.

But will injury issues and inexperience hurt his case to be included with the likes of Hendricks and David?

In the following slides, we'll take a look at everything you need to know about the former Florida outside linebacker.

From Orlando Sentinel

The Florida Gators will receive a lot of airtime during the NFL draft the next few days.

Teams could select as many or more players from Florida than in any previous draft (10 in 1978). At least nine position players (and kicker Caleb Sturgis) have a good chance to make a roster next season.

With draft day approaching, this week’s countdown of those nine players on Swamp Things reaches the sixth Gator likely to be selected: outside linebacker Jelani Jenkins.

Ht: 6-0 1/2. Wt: 243

40 time: 4.7. Key stat: Second to Matt Elam in 2011 with six pass break-ups.

Buzz: Injuries plagued Jenkins in 2012, but did not keep him from leaving school early. A broken thumb, pulled hamstring and broken foot cost him four games, including the Sugar Bowl. Jenkins’ foot injury also limited his training before he would test for NFL teams. Already a bit undersized, Jenkins is a hard-hitting tackler, but ultimately will have to rely on teams to watch his 2011 film to see the range, speed and coverage skills that are his key selling points at the next level.

Quote: “One of the better natural cover linebackers that I evaluated coming into the year. He’s undersized. He’s got to get stronger.” Todd McShay, ESPN

Prediction: Fourth, fifth round.

From Walterfootball.com

Jelani Jenkins, 6-1/223

Outside Linebacker

Florida

Jelani Jenkins Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Career Recap: The Gators won the recruiting derby for the highly-touted Jenkins. He was a high school star when he chose Florida. The team redshirted Jenkins in 2009, but in spring practice before the 2010 season, he was one of the breakout stars for the Gators, which had to replace a lot of talent lost to the NFL.

Jenkins recorded 76 tackles as a redshirt freshman in 2010. That led Florida's front-seven defenders and was behind only safety Ahmad Black on the team. Jenkins chipped in 4.5 tackles for a loss, one interception and two sacks, too.

Jenkins played better in 2011, his second season as a starter. He had 75 tackles, six tackles for a loss, two sacks, one forced fumble, one interception and six passes broken up. Jenkins played well against LSU, Alabama and Florida State.

2012 Season Outlook: Florida's defense has the talent to be one of the top defenses in the country, and Jenkins is a core part of it. He should be able to play freely in 2012 now that he has two years of starting experience. Jenkins won't be learning a new defense this year and that continuity should help his performance.

Another thing that should help Jenkins this year is adding more weight. The official listings haven't been released, but there are reports that he has added a lot of muscle bulk under the team's new strength and conditioning coach. That should help Jenkins shed blocks and be more forceful in the tackle box. He has good talent around him and could be on the cusp of a big season.

Skill-Set Summary: Jenkins' sideline-to-sideline speed is undeniable. He runs like a defensive back with plus instincts. Jenkins can fire into the backfield to disrupt runs and has no problem getting to the far side of the field to get in on defending perimeter runs. He's much better in pursuit compared to when runs go straight at him.

Jenkins has some nice blitzing ability, but with how well he plays in space, he often is defending the open field. Jenkins' speed and athleticism make him a natural in zone coverage, and he can make quick breaks to get in on plays. Jenkins won't get beat by speed in pass coverage against running backs and tight ends. He has all the makings of being a standout pass-defender in the NFL.

The biggest way that Jenkins could help improve in 2012 is adding strength. That would help him to shed blocks and hold his ground when runs come his direction. As stated above, there is talk that he has had a huge transformation, really bulking up this offseason.

Jenkins would currently only be a fit as a 4-3 outside linebacker in the NFL. He doesn't fit well into a 3-4 and those teams probably won't look to heavily into him.

2013 Draft Expectations: Jenkins looks like a potential second-day pick entering 2012. If the junior has a big season and is weighing in the 230s, he could be a second-rounder next April. Jenkins may be better off returning for his senior season in 2013 and improving before going pro.

From NFL.com

Overview

As five-star outside linebacker recruit, Jenkins was first-team all-state in Maryland. Highly sought after, Jenkins chose Florida over Notre Dame, Penn State, USC and Stanford. Jenkins was named the Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year in both 2007 and 2008. As a senior, he traveled to Los Angeles as one of five national finalists for the Watkins Award, awarded annually to the “Premier African-American Male Scholar Athlete”.

Jenkins took a redshirt in his first year in 2009, as he only appeared in two games and made just two tackles. In 2010, Jenkins appeared in all 13 games, and registered 11 starts. He spent time at middle linebacker and weak-side linebacker. On the season, he totaled 76 tackles (4.5 for loss), two sacks, and one interception. In 2011, Jenkins started 12 games (he missed one due to injury). He recorded 75 tackles (6 for loss), two sacks, six pass breakups, and one interception, which he returned for a touchdown. Jenkins dealt with injuries his redshirt junior season, which limited him to just nine games. His medical issues included a lingering tweaked hamstring, and surgeries on his right foot and hand. Jenkins had 29 tackles (5 for loss), two sacks, one interception, and one punt block.

Analysis

Strengths

Showcases good speed, moves well from sideline to sideline. Good burst. Athletic. Works well in pursit, able to track ball carriers and then make tackles. Possessing good blitzing ability. Best trait is his ability to cover. Can run with backs and tight ends. Easily flips hips, and turns his head to find the football.

Weaknesses

Does not possess ideal size or length. Not very strong at the point. Will get latched onto blockers when the get inside his frame. Needs to use his hands better and be more aggressive in shedding blocks. Medical concerns.

NFL Comparison Nick Roach

Bottom Line

When healthy, Jenkins is a dynamic athlete who possesses great value with his ability to cover. However, he's had a hard time staying healthy, and struggles when run at.

Jelani Jenkins vs Louisiana (2012)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q0yAnm5jxM

Highlights at Florida

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qik86Tx4gSI

Florida's Game Winning Punt Block vs Louisiana Lafayette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8C-1qreKJM

Some cool music to set the vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyBem5-Bfpg

Will we ever address the Guard position?

Larry Little #66

Last edited by Niedermaier on Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Fins20??SBChamp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say what?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Jenkins. I would probably project him as a MLB, which is a need position depth wise. One of my favorites.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact he is from Florida makes me think it was a lazy and convenient pick. Let me go do some research on this kid.

Larry Little #66
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy supposedly can run, and does well in coverage. We really are going all out to stop Gronk and Hernandez.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Jenkins. I would probably project him as a MLB, which is a need position depth wise. One of my favorites.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
joeyL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sooo many LBs.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can spell Ellerbe or Wheeler in nickle/dime package, if not be a starting nickle LB soon.
Niedermaier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our next pick is the 6th in the 5th. Stog/beer/bathroom/woman/dog break would be good about now.

Larry Little #66
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pick good player. Very good football speed
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niedermaier wrote:
Our next pick is the 6th in the 5th. Stog/beer/bathroom/woman/dog break would be good about now.

That pick went to the Browns...you have until the end of the 5th....so if needed accomplish all of the above.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Armando Salguero, the Fins wanted Josh Boyce here instead of Jenkins, but the Pats beat us to the punch. That pick would have made much more sense to me.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niedermaier wrote:
The fact he is from Florida makes me think it was a lazy and convenient pick. Let me go do some research on this kid.

We have players from Idaho, Oregon, Michigan and Arkansas ... I don't follow.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Per Armando Salguero, the Fins wanted Josh Boyce here instead of Jenkins, but the Pats beat us to the punch. That pick would have made much more sense to me.

I think that's been happening to us through out the whole draft.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

I think that's been happening to us through out the whole draft.
It happens to every team in the NFL I am also confident we took a player right before another team wanted that player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: