Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 86th pick the Colts select G Hugh Thornton Illinois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: With the 86th pick the Colts select G Hugh Thornton Illinois Reply with quote

OG Hugh Thornton Illinois
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man Im having deja vu, have a list of players you think they are looking at and its someone totally different!

Cant argue position!

So we have hit OLB, G!

WR is main need now...should be some talent there in 4th round though IMO!

reckless123 wrote:
I would love to see this go back and forth but its unlike Harden to get defensive.
coltsmanic808

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone talk about this guy? Who is he?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
wayne87reggie wrote:
Can I get some feedback on Hugh Thornton, not too familiar with him!?

Really great pick. Former all-state wrestler and he shows the power on the interior. Ability to play outside or inside, but I think he'll stick as a guard. Should start for a long time to be honest.

all I got so far!

reckless123 wrote:
I would love to see this go back and forth but its unlike Harden to get defensive.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coltsmanic808 wrote:
Can anyone talk about this guy? Who is he?
not much, I don't really watch a heck of a lot of Wisconsin games and even when I do I don't necessarily watch OL play much
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh Thornton Bio

reckless123 wrote:
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w34UtlEiDK8&feature=youtu.be

reckless123 wrote:
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Grigson said he thought Thornton would be long gone by the time the Cotls picked at 86: "He was targeted since we woke up this morning."

Quote:
Pagano on Thornton: "He's big, physical. He's got nasty written all over him. He's going to change the line of scrimmage for us."

https://twitter.com/KBowenColts
source^^

reckless123 wrote:
Phobixx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grigson says alot of that crap about how we thought he would never be there for us
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phobixx wrote:
Grigson says alot of that crap about how we thought he would never be there for us
Grigson isn't the only one who uses that. That seems like one of the go to answers for why a GM picks a guy.

Grigson mentioned in a pre draft interview that they scaled their draft board down to about 300 players for the draft.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of the guy but it's always good to draft players on the offensive line especially when you have such a good young QB like Andrew Luck.
Mooche

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I scouted him enough coming into the process.

I was able to watch quite a few games last night, and I got this from the viewing:

-Illinois lined this kid up EVERYWHERE. In 2011, he seemingly rotated guard spots at will, and really looked comfortable at both, which is a very good thing.

-He has tremendous recovery skills. Many times it looks like he is going to get beat with a move, but he has the strength to re-anchor and seal off the opponent.

-Worst habit I saw on tape was his bad habit of overextended to the defender. He tends to try and reach a lot to engage the defensive lineman, and that left him in a lot of trouble when the defender was able to disengage and fly to the ball carrier.

-His best tape that I was able to watch was most likely against Michigan in 2012. Surprisingly, he was starting at left tackle for the Fighting Illini, and did a pretty darn solid job overall. He doesn't have the feet to get by in the NFL at either tackle spot (that's why he projects so well to a guard) but his strength is definitely there. He rarely allowed any pressures.

-First thing Pagano said was that he is bringing some "nasty" to this lineup. He wasn't lying. This guy is always flying to the pile to throw his body around to finish the running play. In the same fashion, if there is a mistake in pass protection, he is the first guy getting furious with himself before the next play to make somebody pay.

Not only is this kid a great story, but he's going to fit our power-scheme pretty damn well in the "no coast offense." Grigson really came into the draft with a clear desire to get more physical. Werner and Thornton echo this want tremendously.
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mooche wrote:

I was able to watch quite a few games last night, and I got this from the viewing:

-Illinois lined this kid up EVERYWHERE. In 2011, he seemingly rotated guard spots at will, and really looked comfortable at both, which is a very good thing.

-He has tremendous recovery skills. Many times it looks like he is going to get beat with a move, but he has the strength to re-anchor and seal off the opponent.

-Worst habit I saw on tape was his bad habit of overextended to the defender. He tends to try and reach a lot to engage the defensive lineman, and that left him in a lot of trouble when the defender was able to disengage and fly to the ball carrier.

-His best tape that I was able to watch was most likely against Michigan in 2012. Surprisingly, he was starting at left tackle for the Fighting Illini, and did a pretty darn solid job overall. He doesn't have the feet to get by in the NFL at either tackle spot (that's why he projects so well to a guard) but his strength is definitely there. He rarely allowed any pressures.

-First thing Pagano said was that he is bringing some "nasty" to this lineup. He wasn't lying. This guy is always flying to the pile to throw his body around to finish the running play. In the same fashion, if there is a mistake in pass protection, he is the first guy getting furious with himself before the next play to make somebody pay.

Not only is this kid a great story, but he's going to fit our power-scheme pretty damn well in the "no coast offense." Grigson really came into the draft with a clear desire to get more physical. Werner and Thornton echo this want tremendously.
After hearing Mike Mayock talk about his mother and sister being murdered, I read that he was abused by his father and there was an underage drinking incident. But his aunt became his legal guardian and after he arrived at Illinois there were no other off field incidents.

Normally I want all the Colts draft picks to succeed, but I'm really pulling for this guy.
Mooche

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stallyns wrote:
Mooche wrote:

After hearing Mike Mayock talk about his mother and sister being murdered, I read that he was abused by his father and there was an underage drinking incident. But his aunt became his legal guardian and after he arrived at Illinois there were no other off field incidents.

Normally I want all the Colts draft picks to succeed, but I'm really pulling for this guy.

Yeah, I can't even explain to you what I felt when I heard the whole back-story of his life.

It's such an amazing feat to overcome that adversity and get drafted in the third round.

I'm with you. I am really, really pulling for him to succeed.
PeytonFan18

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6' 3" and 320 lbs what surprises me is this guys feet. The analysis says that he could fit well in a zone blocking scheme. And when you watch the tape, that's what jumps off. The guy played LT in the Big 10. He isn't going to play there in the NFL, but that is a pretty good sign about a 320 lbs offensive guard.

His feet also allow him to get into the second level with ease. He locates his defender on the second level and engages very well.

He was also the best guard at the Senior Bowl. The LT's got all the credit, deservingly, but after that this Thornton guy really showed.

Very happy with this pick. He fits into our team and our needs very well. I think he's got a great chance at starting at RG for us, and even if he doesn't, McGlynn's health has been sketchy at best, and this guy should be backing up both guard spots.

Images courtesy of the great IndyColt#88
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: