Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3.23 (85th overall) - TE Jordan Reed, Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief_Zee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TE wasn't the biggest need but Jordan Reed has a TON of potential in this offense. Kyle loves those weird formations, and Reed is extremely versatile. He has potential to be the player that Niles Paul was suppose to be, and more.

I'm imagining a 3 TE set with Davis, Paulsen, and Reed... and I like it, a lot.

^Jamison. on the masterpiece^
MikeT14

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled this from ESPN

Quote:
Versatile athlete. Can line him up all over the field, including in the backfield and as a Wildcat triggerman. Very good athlete for the position. Shows good burst off the line and can get down the seam quickly. Shows good initial burst after the catch. A legitimate weapon with ball in hand. Has quickness, change-of-direction skills, field vision and second gear to turn short completion into big gain.

- mike23md on the sig!
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He came to college as a QB. Trick play potential is through the roof.

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chief_Zee wrote:
TE wasn't the biggest need but Jordan Reed has a TON of potential in this offense. Kyle loves those weird formations, and Reed is extremely versatile. He has potential to be the player that Niles Paul was suppose to be, and more.

Mike Shanahan is imagining it as well. He mentioned various formations, even a 4TE set lmao with 2 Outside and 2 Inside in the presser. When he grabs players like this we start to see Mike "the mad scientist" start to work his magic Very Happy
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
Chief_Zee wrote:

Mike Shanahan is imagining it as well. He mentioned various formations, even a 4TE set lmao with 2 Outside and 2 Inside in the presser. When he grabs players like this we start to see Mike "the mad scientist" start to work his magic Very Happy
Damn a 4 TE set? Wow! That's going to be fun to watch. Well it makes sense 3 of our 4 TEs now have wr skills
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Slateman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacement for Davis
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Replacement for Davis

After this season, yes. It's possible given Davis' lack of work ethic that he could get significant playing time this year, but the odds are probably on this being the end of the road for Niles Paul.
SJ9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Replacement for Davis

After this season, yes. It's possible given Davis' lack of work ethic that he could get significant playing time this year, but the odds are probably on this being the end of the road for Niles Paul.

Totally agree woz I do like what Paul brings on teams but the switch to TE last yr didn't go as smooth as I think they thought it would I don't no if it was just me or not but I thought that niles had some issues with his hands last yr it just seemed he had a bunch of catchable balls that he dropped

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ9 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Slateman wrote:
Replacement for Davis

Totally agree woz I do like what Paul brings on teams but the switch to TE last yr didn't go as smooth as I think they thought it would I don't no if it was just me or not but I thought that niles had some issues with his hands last yr it just seemed he had a bunch of catchable balls that he dropped

Wasn't just you. Sometimes it is not just the number of dropped passes but the timing of them. When you bumble a 3rd down pass or one that would turn the whole Game around then the coaches and QB start to understand they can't count on you. I think that was happening too.
markrc99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believed that the team always liked Fred Davis & he wanted to play for them. He's one of the leftovers from the culture of failure & for the most part all of those guys that Shanahan kept around haven't performed. Or, certainly not to their pay scale to say the least. Even so, TE was not a position I thought the Redskins would address, but I really like this Jordan Reed. They've really upgraded their short passing game arsenal, particularly with respect to speed. If these prospects pan out, I think we can expect a lot of new wrinkles. The material I have might resolve some of the questions that were considered.

PFW 2013 Draft Guide:
Strengths:
"Built & moves like an oversized receiver. Bursts off the line, stretches the field. Loose-hipped, can run a variety of routes. Catches naturally and creates after [the] catch. Move block potential."

Weaknesses:
"Lacks prototype dimensions. Strength-deficient, marginal in-line blocker. Raw blocking technique- lunges and does not sustain. No special-teams value."

Overall:
"Athletic H-back/"move" [TE] with speed & hands to run the seam and be a mismatch player. Cannot be counted on to single block [DEs], but complements a true "Y" well & adds a pass-catching dimension."

Pro Football Draft Guide 2013:
Upside:
"The ex-QB was used in a variety of ways at Florida. He's an exceptional athlete for his size with outstanding body control & soft hands. He'll be a red-zone weapon with a knack for winning the jump ball. His footwork is excellent and he has the quickness to create separation underneath. He's at his best as a catch & run threat."

Downside:
"He's undersized, more of a move TE & doesn't pack a lot of power as a blocker. He gets sloppy with his routes & too often relied on his size to overpower defenders, an area he can improve."

Bottom Line:
"The comparisons to ... Aaron Hernandez are warranted, though Reed is less polished... If developed, he'll be a pro-bowler."

Lindy's Pro Football Draft 2013:
In our View:
"Without the bulk or blocking skills of most traditional TEs, Reed isn't a fit for every NFL offense. His fluidity & soft hands are reminiscent of ... Hernandez, who has [established] himself as one of the league's most difficult matchups."

Strengths:
"... a fluid & flexible athlete with smooth body control & controlled balance. He flashes [WR] agility after the catch with quick, elusive feet & deceiving speed to run away from defenders. Reliable hands and holds on after a big hit. Savvy ability to find open spots in coverage. Flashes some power with the ability to lower his pads through contact & pick up yards after the initial hit."

Weaknesses:
"Lacks an ideal frame with only average height & build for the position. Must add bulk, & there's also room to improve his route running & receiving skills. Needs to be more consistent as a blocker and is too much of a grabber in the run game, attracting holding calls. Has battled numerous injuries."

Sometimes these scouts seem to contradict themselves. They'll contend his size is an asset & then say it's a liability. Whether he can consistently block DEs, well, name one who can? Elsewhere there was mention of a two-TE set, which Joe Gibbs ran back in the '80s & Mike Holmgren ran in the '90s (to name a few). The alignment or formation I really like the most is when they stack both TEs to one side & the 2 WRs to the opposite side. Your showing power run to one side & a bit of a rec'r overload to the other side! Ha-ha. I hope Shanahan has found the explosiveness out of the backfield and at TE, the consistency & as well as speed he wants. There's been a lot of emphasis placed on the DBs they drafted, but don't underestimate the impact these guys on offense might have.
Woz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like Cooley. I was surprised by the pick when they made it, but I'm starting to really dig it. Not only does it mean one day closer to Sleepy finding someone else to plague, but it seems we got a good seam receiver.
markrc99

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! That part about his ability to threaten the seam caught my attention too. The only part of the comparison to Hernandez that I think is of concern is that Hernandez is only part of a subset of what New England does. But, they also have the likes of a Ron Gronkowski. But when you have a number of scouts describing Reed flashing WR agility & deceptive speed, finding holes in coverages... That sounds like a TE Griffin can go to in money time.
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping this is actually the beginning a new TE duo for time to come, rather than just Fred Davis replacement. We can finally get to see what it would have been like to have Davis and Cooley on the field at the same time back when Cooley was still in his prime and we drafting a young immature Fred Davis. IMO Fred Davis came back here to make a statement. Yes we had the best QB when healthy out of the Browns and Bills, but Rg3 health is still at least in my eyes a question mark. I like Davis and surrounding Rg3 with many assets in the passing game will only IMO improve our running and playaction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:
I'm hoping this is actually the beginning a new TE duo for time to come, rather than just Fred Davis replacement. We can finally get to see what it would have been like to have Davis and Cooley on the field at the same time back when Cooley was still in his prime and we drafting a young immature Fred Davis. IMO Fred Davis came back here to make a statement. Yes we had the best QB when healthy out of the Browns and Bills, but Rg3 health is still at least in my eyes a question mark. I like Davis and surrounding Rg3 with many assets in the passing game will only IMO improve our running and playaction.
yep, yep. That all depends on Davis' health though and what he will cost in the future. Don't forget about Niles Paul either, I know he didn't do much last year but it was his first year at the tight end positon. I still believe he can show us something. I'm sure he's been working like crazy on his hands all this offseason.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21 ALL THE WAY wrote:

I'm hoping Fred Davis makes a statement and then goes somewhere else in hopes of us getting a decent compensatory pick in 2015. That way we get something for him, but he becomes someone else's headache.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: