Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Great post Woz. The players I want, in order:

Phillip Thomas
Cornelius Washington
Jessie Williams
Ryan Swope
Jordan Poyer

While we need a FS much more than a NT, getting a guy who is getting a 1st/2nd round value and a grade of 85.5 is worth so much more value there. Especially when he's already played in the 3-4.
Woz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Woz wrote:
^^^ Aggregate top players from those three lists (top of all three at a 2nd/3rd round/75.0+ or better):
DT Jesse Williams, Alabama (would play the NT for us)
DE Alex Okafor, Texas (would play OLB for us)
WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech

Honorable Mention (on top of two of the three lists):
RB Johnathan Franklin, UCLA
OLB Khaseem Greene, Rutgers (would play ILB for us)
FS Phillip Thomas
OC Brian Schwenke
Franklin could add another dimension to our offense. He'd be a great pick too.

In the fourth getting that burner RB would be perfectly fine with me, provided some of the others on that list are gone (would definitely take Williams, Okafor, Patton, Thomas, and maybe Greene before Franklin).
Woz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I'll have to watch the kiddos in the morning, so I might not be around for the 4th round pick (especially if they trade up), and possibly later depending on how things go. I'll try to touch base here as best as I can. In the meantime, just remember:

1. Please avoid spoilers.
2. Give me (or e16) half a chance to get on to post the draftee thread. Say ten minutes? Then you guys can be like a pack of ravening wolves trying to get the spot. Wink
3. Be nice to each other.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Great post Woz. The players I want, in order:

Phillip Thomas
Cornelius Washington
Jessie Williams
Ryan Swope
Jordan Poyer

While we need a FS much more than a NT, getting a guy who is getting a 1st/2nd round value and a grade of 85.5 is worth so much more value there. Especially when he's already played in the 3-4.
I agree. I'm more worried about his health. He would give us a lot of versatility along the Dline. We could play Cofield at DE if we wanted. I'm not blown away by our depth at NT either. He'd be a big upgrade just as a backup.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Woz"]Folks, I'll have to watch the kiddos in the morning, so I might not be around for the 4th round pick (especially if they trade up), and possibly later depending on how things go. I'll try to touch base here as best as I can. In the meantime, just remember:

1. Please avoid spoilers.
2. Give me (or e16) half a chance to get on to post the draftee thread. Say ten minutes? Then you guys can be like a pack of ravening wolves trying to get the spot. Wink
3. Be nice to each other.[/quote] Ugh. Fine.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
markrc99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's safe to say the Redskins didn't have a Josh LeRibeus freeze up, but if it's more of the same today I suspect most experts will grade them out at a C. I can't see Amerson as a player they're going to convert to FS when Swearinger was still on the board. Why wouldn't you just take him instead? So, as others have already noted, Amerson gives them some length they don't have. Which leads us to the reality of such an approach. The Redskins desperately need better pass rush capability behind Orakpo & Kerrigan but even worse, they don't have a legitimate penetrator up inside. That's how you win, you dominate up front.

But even beside all that is the fact that when you objectively look at the measurables, the exceptional physical traits & athletic ability of the top rec'rs & even many of the X-slot rec'rs in this league, they're superior to the DBs they go up against. That's just irrefutable. If the counter approach at least had that, when you draft a DB you're almost assured of getting a player who is physically superior to the opposition he'll be facing, I could see it more. "If" that were the case, but it isn't! Secondaries win with numbers and the QB under immense pressure. That's how they prevail.

Amerson is an attempt to fill or mitigate that talent gap. His downside is that his overly aggressive play was burned. But that alone suggests his coaches were confident is his ability to man up on any given rec'r. That he gets caught biting on something that looks like it's going to break underneath is correctable. Issues about his determination & focus, if true, are more complicated. Who knows for sure, but the part of this mix that's toxic is that the "leader" back there is De' Hall. A key, expensive leftover from the culture of failure, a guy they should've gotten rid of two yrs ago!

Right now, this team could've added Sam Montgomery & Brandon Williams. Two major inside penetrators! Now, Mike Mayock said that Montgomery turned a number of teams away in his interview process. PFW states: "Character, dependability & work ethic require careful attention..." Both prospects were selected shortly after the Redskins took Reed. He's certainly an addition to Griffin's arsenal, perhaps an even better... or more consistent downfield threat than they have. Up front on defense they can still add a Cornelius Washington. He's projected as a 4-3 DE or OLB, but what's good about him is that he can bring it inside. Exceptional power, can shed and get to the QB through contact. But he can also come off the corner! So he's a guy they add to Orakpo & Kerrigan or rotate in behind them. DT Everett Dawkins isn't as sure a prospect but according to Lindy's, he possesses: "... the explosiveness & athleticism to become a feared interior rusher at the next level."

There's also a number of very good edge rushers that can't replace, but can rotate at OLB. They need help inside and depth outside! I think Terron Armstead is a guy they'd have reached for if they didn't think they had something in Tom Compton. So, I'm not expecting a pick there, but you never know. Accordingly, at safety the guy who gives you some size and can hold up in coverage is Robert Lester. Not a hitter or intimidator, but more of a ballhawk, I can see him. But to my mind, do whatever it takes, within reason, to get Cornelius Washington. I didn't quite pick up the discussion there at the end about a potential DT or NT? If that's Jesse Williams, he's not a penetrator. Good player... adds good depth, but he's more of what the team already has, run stuffers.

Last edited by markrc99 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
taylormade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas OLB Alex Okafor still on the board, Orakpo could be his mentor. There's a reason Jesse Williams is falling (he sucks). Will post my big board before the draft starts.

"Ryan Torrain has more yards than both Larry Johnson and FWP put together!" - Me, Bold Predictions Thread, May 4th 2010
markrc99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! Okafor probably can't replace at OLB, but man, you'll still maintain your pass rush! That's value!
taylormade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top Remaining

1. Alex Okafor, 3-4 OLB Texas
2. Philip Thomas, FS Fresno St.
3. Da'Rick Rogers, WR Tenn. St.
4. Baccarri Rambo, FS Georgia
5. Ryan Swope, WR Texas A&M
6. Chase Thomas, 3-4 OLB Stanford
7. Jordan Poyer, CB Oregon St.
8. Chris Harper, WR Kansas St.

Darkhorses: FS Josh Evans, Florida / B.W. Webb William & Mary

Looks like it might come down between FS Rambo or WR Swope...

Seems like a skill position round, like rounds 2 and 3.

"Ryan Torrain has more yards than both Larry Johnson and FWP put together!" - Me, Bold Predictions Thread, May 4th 2010
taylormade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes Okafor, that is to be expected.

taylormade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did not expect S Duke Williams to go this early... Phil Thomas still on board.

seantaylorfan21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda glad duke williams got drafted. I don't really like him i'd much rather have thomas or rambo even earl wolf.

Props to Mike23md
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamarko Thomas has been my man crush for awhile now but I find it bothersome that he's been past by his former college coach multiple times and once for another safety (Duke Williams). Kind of makes you wonder.

mike23md on the sig!
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRAP!! As I write that the Steelers rip my heart out.

mike23md on the sig!
Woz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only really two options for the Redskins here:

If going need - FS Phillip Thomas
If going value - DT Jesse Williams

Alternatives:
RB Johnathan Franklin, WR Quinton Patton, DE/OLB Cornelius Washington

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 15 of 23

Jump to: