Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 24th pick the Colts select.........Bjoern Werner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stallyns

Global Moderator
FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: With the 24th pick the Colts select.........Bjoern Werner Reply with quote

DE Bjoern Werner

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/327614699887804416

Quote:
The Colts selected Bjoern Werner and the Vikings are back on the clock. So there goes one of those pass rushers

Last edited by stallyns on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Nobody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan. Great value, but the player himself isn't a fit, IMO. I thought Rhodes should have been the pick, no doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he is supposed to be rushing the passer for us eh? Or would he be possibly used as a 3-4 DE if he gains a bit more weight? I wonder how much extra weight would slow him down (possibly significantly)?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prince.Malachi wrote:
So he is supposed to be rushing the passer for us eh? Or would he be possibly used as a 3-4 DE if he gains a bit more weight? I wonder how much extra weight would slow him down (possibly significantly)?

He is a 3-4 OLB. Think Paul Kruger when you think of this guy. He is just a prototype fit for the Chuck Pagano 3-4 OLB. He will play DE in 4-3 looks. Not a 5T.

I am ecstatic with this pick. Fits the defense perfectly. The tape speaks for itself. One of these players who is only available in the mid-20's because he didn't test incredibly well. Underclass entrant into the NFL with 13 sacks as a junior.

Combine numbers stood at 25 reps, 33" arms and a 4.83 in the forty. He surprised at his pro day showing very well in the OLB position drills. Here is what Gil Brandt had to say:

"Bjoern Werner DE (6-3 ¾, 261 pounds) — He kept everything he did at the combine. He looked outstanding in the positional drills. Werner is a very, very good athlete."

I really think people put too much into the 40 time with this guy. The tape is great, and he's athletic, just not elite straight line speed.

Images courtesy of the great IndyColt#88
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mooche

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy can set the edge like nobody's business.

That's one thing that immediately stood out when I was watching his tape earlier in the process. He makes a lot of unsung plays by occupying blocks and holding the point of attack extremely well. Werner definitely has the athletic ability to add a few pass rushing moves into the arsenal, and will continue to develop into a solid pass rusher. I don't ever expect anything amazing from him number wise, but this guy is going to be a solid pillar in the Pagano defense for years to come.

The value was there. This isn't a bad pick.
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im starting to come around!

Im sure he an get the job done at 3-4 OLB, will play hybrid at DE in 4-3 fronts too! Obviously the Colts liked him, because there was some talent on the board when we were OTC!

Was really hoping for Patterson, Hopkins, Hunter

but I was glad they didn't take Datone or Margus Hunt...

also was glad they didn't go CB, I like our 4 CB's right now, we can look to add CB later in the draft!

Thought there was an outside chance we went Cyprien, or Te'o!
wayne87reggie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"He's a dynamic pass rusher. He's a guy we knew we needed to address that and just so happened we addressed that and he was the highest player on the board at the time," said head coach Chuck Pagano.

Quote:
"He's productive, plays hard," said general manager Ryan Grigson. "He's a team player that fits a coach's mold as a human being and as a football player."

http://www.wthr.com/story/22083592/colts-select-de-bjoern-werner-with-24th-pick-of-nfl-draft
coleman51

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was actually one of the 3 picks that I got right. I had Werner falling but this seems like a good fit. Werner can play. Congrats on the pick fellas.

Quote:
@jwyattsports 1h
#Titans safety Bernard Pollard on #Chiefs: “I’m mad at the fact they’ve decided to come here and play football in our stadium."

RIP Stylish313

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Indianapolis Colts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: