Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

alfalcone Final Ravens Mock 4/22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I'd feel about Eifert as the pick at 32. He's a good prospect and I like him a lot as a receiving TE but it's hard to say what Caldwell is going to do with the offense. If Eifert and/or Pitta and/or Dickson aren't on the field at the same time for a lot of the game it seems like a waste of talent to have all of those guys on the team. Peter King probably isn't a great source for Ravens information. Nobody really is actually, the organization never has any real leaks prior to the draft.

If the Ravens do take Eifert then I wonder if WR would be a need. I like Allen a lot and that would be great value for him though.

What is it about Bostic that people like him in the third round? Bleh, no thanks.

Commings is meh. For that pick to be good I think he would have to transition to S (since I don't view CB as a need at all) and I'm not sure he has the ball-skills to do so adequately. I generally don't like CB-to-S conversions though so I'm a bit biased.

Washington... sigh. He's not bad as a developmental pass-rusher at that point I guess.

Marquardt is fine. His value is really hard to peg but the Ravens have never shied away from small-school OL.

Pryor wouldn't be bad if the plan was to let Leach walk after next season. He wouldn't have a ton of value this season though.

I'm not familiar with Taylor but any S that late probably wouldn't add a whole lot to the team. There's already a lot of young competition at that position.

Catapano is alright. As are the rest of the last few picks.

Overall I wouldn't be a big fan if this is what happens. There are four big needs on the team including WR, LT, ILB, and S but only one of them is addressed with what I think is a quality player. I don't expect the Ravens to address all of them in one draft but I'm hoping for more than one.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I don't know how I'd feel about Eifert as the pick at 32. He's a good prospect and I like him a lot as a receiving TE but it's hard to say what Caldwell is going to do with the offense. If Eifert and/or Pitta and/or Dickson aren't on the field at the same time for a lot of the game it seems like a waste of talent to have all of those guys on the team. Peter King probably isn't a great source for Ravens information. Nobody really is actually, the organization never has any real leaks prior to the draft.

If the Ravens do take Eifert then I wonder if WR would be a need. I like Allen a lot and that would be great value for him though.

What is it about Bostic that people like him in the third round? Bleh, no thanks.

Commings is meh. For that pick to be good I think he would have to transition to S (since I don't view CB as a need at all) and I'm not sure he has the ball-skills to do so adequately. I generally don't like CB-to-S conversions though so I'm a bit biased.

Washington... sigh. He's not bad as a developmental pass-rusher at that point I guess.

Marquardt is fine. His value is really hard to peg but the Ravens have never shied away from small-school OL.

Pryor wouldn't be bad if the plan was to let Leach walk after next season. He wouldn't have a ton of value this season though.

I'm not familiar with Taylor but any S that late probably wouldn't add a whole lot to the team. There's already a lot of young competition at that position.

Catapano is alright. As are the rest of the last few picks.

Overall I wouldn't be a big fan if this is what happens. There are four big needs on the team including WR, LT, ILB, and S but only one of them is addressed with what I think is a quality player. I don't expect the Ravens to address all of them in one draft but I'm hoping for more than one.

I think it's due to a lack of athletiscm at LB in this class, he was one of only 8 guys to crack sub 4.7 in the 40. With the trend of pass heavy offenses losing no momentum, I suppose it's just natural. Anyone who runs a good time in the 40 will get pushed up boards, especially at that position. With guys like Bowman in vogue, everyone wants to find that backer is who going to be all over the field. However running a good 40 doesn't necessarily equate to good range. I'm with you, I don't think he is a very good player but it's all about projection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking but Bostic doesn't look like he is anywhere near as fast on the field as what he ran at the combine. It probably has more to do with his instincts than his natural athletic ability though. Bostic never seemed to put himself in the right place to make a play in either run-defense or dropping back in coverage. He actually kind of reminds me of Jameel McClain.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the final version of my Ravens mock draft. I believe I have a good feel for where the players will fall, a lot of this is based on gut feeling, and a sense that the Ravens are trying to get faster on defense.

1 - Matt Elam SS Florida - Elam to me is an upper middle class man's Troy Polomalu. He's slightly undersized, but runs well and hits like a ton of bricks. He flashed on film, and has the ability to play right away. He has room to improve in coverage, but Michael Huff should mask these limitations.

2 - Kyle Long OT Oregon - Long played Guard in college but has the athleticism to move to tackle. I have always held the position that it is easier to move from tackle to guard and guard to tackle than from one side to another given the inversion of the football stance. The Oregon scheme allowed Long to play in more space than the typical guard and he has the athleticism and bloodlines to succeed.

3 - Sio Moore MLB Connecticut - Moore is built a lot like Lawrence Timmons and has a similar style of play, he is excellent in pass coverage and a productive pass rusher. I project him has the type of player who can play outside and in. I project Moore to play inside in Baltimore and to provide a pass rush on the inside.

4 - Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas - Hamilton hasn't generated a ton of buzz in the draft process, but he is a stud. Arkansas' sole offensive threat this past year, Hamilton put up monster numbers while Tyler Wilson struggled. He has the potential to be a strong number two receiver.

4 - John Simon OLB Ohio State - Simon is a beast in the weight room and posted surprisingly strong numbers the past two season. I think he compares favorably to Jarrett Johnson and could play a similar role in Baltimore.

5 - Levine Toilolo TE Stanford - Perhaps the players with the greatest projected range, I have seen 2nd to undrafted, Toilolo is a strong in line blocker with a big body. He can fill the Ravens need for a blocking tight end, and develop into a strong red zone target.

5 - Lonnie Pryor FB Florida State - An undersized full back, Pryor is an explosive runner, and a strong blocker. HE projects favorably as a running back, and could excel in a FB2/RB3 role in Baltimore.

6 - Micah Hyde CB Iowa - Hyde fell this season because of Iowa's struggles, but he is a talented, NFL ready cornerback who could contribute as a nickel or dime back.

6 - Cooper Taylor S Richmond - Taylor is a massive physical specimen who was forced to transfer from Georgia Tech to Richmond due to health issues. He has the physical ability to thrive in coverage against tight ends.

6 - Courtney Gardner - WR Sierra - Gardner is a talented receiver out of junior college. This pick is an utter flyer, hoping that Gardner is Cordarrelle Patterson at this point last year.

7 - Quinton Dial - DE Alabama - Brandon Deadrick 2.0 Dial is a five technique from Alabama who projects as a quality role player.

7 - Phillip Steward - OLB (Coverage) Houston - Steward is an undersized but explosive player who is strong in coverage and against the run. He projects as a third down linebacker and special teamer, and should replace Brendon Ayenbadejo.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
1 - Matt Elam SS Florida - Elam to me is an upper middle class man's Troy Polomalu. He's slightly undersized, but runs well and hits like a ton of bricks. He flashed on film, and has the ability to play right away. He has room to improve in coverage, but Michael Huff should mask these limitations.

I like it. I'm a bigger fan of Cyprien but I wouldn't be upset at all if Elam was the pick.

Quote:
2 - Kyle Long OT Oregon - Long played Guard in college but has the athleticism to move to tackle. I have always held the position that it is easier to move from tackle to guard and guard to tackle than from one side to another given the inversion of the football stance. The Oregon scheme allowed Long to play in more space than the typical guard and he has the athleticism and bloodlines to succeed.

He's too old (relatively for a prospect at least) and too much of a project at LT for me get behind this pick.

Quote:
3 - Sio Moore MLB Connecticut - Moore is built a lot like Lawrence Timmons and has a similar style of play, he is excellent in pass coverage and a productive pass rusher. I project him has the type of player who can play outside and in. I project Moore to play inside in Baltimore and to provide a pass rush on the inside.

Moore is becoming one of my favorite non-first round LB options. He's exactly the type of LB I want the Ravens to go after and I wouldn't be upset if he was the pick at 62 either. I'm not sure he lasts until 94.

Quote:
4 - Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas - Hamilton hasn't generated a ton of buzz in the draft process, but he is a stud. Arkansas' sole offensive threat this past year, Hamilton put up monster numbers while Tyler Wilson struggled. He has the potential to be a strong number two receiver.

Not bad. After the first and second wave of WRs go Hamilton is probably one of the better "big" receivers left.

Quote:
4 - John Simon OLB Ohio State - Simon is a beast in the weight room and posted surprisingly strong numbers the past two season. I think he compares favorably to Jarrett Johnson and could play a similar role in Baltimore.

No thanks. Upshaw already compares favorably to what Jarret Johnson was for the Ravens and they don't need two of those guys on the roster.

Quote:
5 - Levine Toilolo TE Stanford - Perhaps the players with the greatest projected range, I have seen 2nd to undrafted, Toilolo is a strong in line blocker with a big body. He can fill the Ravens need for a blocking tight end, and develop into a strong red zone target.

Toilolo is a hard prospect to project his range. In the 5th round I think he would be a fine pick.

Quote:
5 - Lonnie Pryor FB Florida State - An undersized full back, Pryor is an explosive runner, and a strong blocker. HE projects favorably as a running back, and could excel in a FB2/RB3 role in Baltimore.

Eh. To be honest I'm not interested in what any player could bring to the team as a runner since they already have Rice and Pierce. That leaves the value as a receiver and blocker (from the FB position). To me Pryor is average at best in either category and is a reach that high.

Quote:
6 - Micah Hyde CB Iowa - Hyde fell this season because of Iowa's struggles, but he is a talented, NFL ready cornerback who could contribute as a nickel or dime back.

Hyde would be a fine pick that late.

Quote:
6 - Cooper Taylor S Richmond - Taylor is a massive physical specimen who was forced to transfer from Georgia Tech to Richmond due to health issues. He has the physical ability to thrive in coverage against tight ends.

I've said before that I don't think the Ravens need to double-dip at S but taking a guy like Taylor in the 6th round after already drafting Elam wouldn't be bad. He would probably beat Brown, Levine, and Cook for the 5th safety spot.

Quote:
6 - Courtney Gardner - WR Sierra - Gardner is a talented receiver out of junior college. This pick is an utter flyer, hoping that Gardner is Cordarrelle Patterson at this point last year.

The same thing I said about Cooper and doubling-dipping at S applies here too. I think Baltimore's young talent/depth at WR is quite a bit better than their young talent/depth at S though.

Quote:
7 - Quinton Dial - DE Alabama - Brandon Deadrick 2.0 Dial is a five technique from Alabama who projects as a quality role player.

Sure why not. Tyson played pretty well in his limited snaps last season but he or Dial could replace a guy like Canty or Spears in a couple of years.

Quote:
7 - Phillip Steward - OLB (Coverage) Houston - Steward is an undersized but explosive player who is strong in coverage and against the run. He projects as a third down linebacker and special teamer, and should replace Brendon Ayenbadejo.

Not familiar with him.

Overall this wouldn't be a bad haul. Not liking Long in the second round skews my view a bit but I wouldn't be disappointed with the overall results.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is definitely a solid mock. I'm not high on the Kyle Long pick as well. I don't like his projection to LT. IIRC he didn't look all that great in the LT drills at the senior bowl, which he's raw so some of that is to be expected. But he also doesn't have the ideal measurements. He's got the height and the explosiveness to excel, but his arm length, while not diminutive in any way, isn't in that 34"+ area where most premier OT options measure in at. He's also not a very short area type athlete. His vertical and broad jump shows an above average option, but for an OT the SS and 3-cone are probably the two most important drills in showing short area explosiveness and flexibility. Long tested at 4.63 and 7.83 respectively. An elite/very good short shuttle time is usually something above 4.55s and an elite 3-cone is usually something above 7.5s... Long's numbers were only above average/good in the SS and were average to below average in the 3-cone drill. Now I'm not one to put too much stock into combine numbers, they can only tell you so much, but Long hasn't shown he can play LT on the field, at the senior bowl, and so pretty much all that's left is the other numbers. He doesn't have the length nor specific kind of athleticism you look for in an upper echelon LT. He's older than your average rookie as well. And for a guy known for his athleticism and potential... those two things aren't things you look for in a project player.

I'd much rather we take a chance on a David Quessenberry in the mid rounds who is similar from a measurement standpoint, but is both younger and more athletic than Long.

In terms of the other picks, I like Matt Elam about as much as I like Cyprien. I think Elam has the higher upside, but his temperament and effort are questionable. If he gave it his all on every play, attacked the same way on every play... I don't think he'd simply 'flash' dominance, I think he'd most certainly be a top 15 caliber safety and worthy of all the praise I've showered onto him for the longest time, you watch a game and he'll stand out for his splash plays, but he's not as consistent from snap to snap, effort to effort. I love what Elam could do as a Raven though... I'd love to take him in the first or trade down to take him in the 2nd.

I like Sio Moore, but I doubt that he falls to our 3rd round pick. He's probably more of a late 2nd to mid 3rd rd kind of range as a prospect IMO.

I like Hamilton. I was really high on him earlier in the season, but drops have made me lower on him. And his hand measurements really don't help me cast aside my doubt over his hands. And I don't really know enough about Hamilton from an intangible level to take a gamble on him to put in the work to improve that part of his game. As of now though I think he projects to be a similar player to Jacoby Jones, though just not as explosive.

If Simon lasts until the comp 4th, I certainly wouldn't against taking him. We have Upshaw to be the run stuffing OLB option, but I suppose if we had another dominant run stuffing ET, we could utilize Upshaw more as a pass rusher. So while I'm not a big fan of the pick, I can't argue with that value.

I could be down with Levine as an additional TE. I don't like his knees though... and I didn't like his ability to separate against LBers. Personally this TE class is deep enough where I think we can wait a little longer to address the need for a blocking TE. I like Justice Cunningham better in that role and I think he's better at getting himself open.

Not a fan of Pryor in the 5th... he's like LeRon McClain, not a dominant blocking option, just sort of get in your way... and as a runner, do you really want this guy taking carries away from Rice/Pierce? If we're going for a bruising run, Leach in a short yardage situation is certainly fine enough for me.

Hyde would be nice value.

Not familiar with Taylor.

Gardner is a nice late round option. I would've preferred Mark Harrison for his higher level of competition, but between his underachieving and the combine incident (who dun it), I think going after the other physical specimen/gamble would probably make more sense.

Dial is good depth, should find a way onto our practice squad and could help out in a couple years.

Not familiar with Steward, but those Houston LBers haven't really done much in the NFL after putting up some awesome production there, so while I'm not familiar with Steward, I don't think I'll be very willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may chime in here, this is the craziest mock I've seen yet..

Arthur Brown in the 3rd round? NOT going to happen, it's much more likely that's who the Ravens take at #32. I don't see how Chance Warmack falls clear to 32 but it's not impossible. Mathieu, I also don't think will fall that far, someone will take a chance on him much earlier imo. Toilolo would be a very good selection. Scott, I agree, he's worth a 7th round pick, could be interesting potential there. Tharold Simon could be a nice 6th round pick, definitely has potential, but I also think its possible he goes Undrafted. Yes, I realize this mock was posted in November. Overall, IF this (OP) were the outcome, the Ravens would easily have the best draft class in the NFL.

As for your "Final mock" I think that is much more realistic.

Elam would be a great pick for you guys, I hope you don't get him Razz

I do agree that Long is kinda old and I think there'll be better Tackles on the board if that's the route you guys go in the 2nd round.

Sio Moore, imo, great selection and very realistic. When it comes to Hamilton I even like him for the Steelers, the big question mark with him is his consistency, there's no question mark in his potential.

Simon is a 7th round bust imo. Seriously I don't like the pick at all, even for the Steelers and some people have mocked him to us.

Toilolo, really, he's a solid selection, I think he could turn into a monster TE.

Lonnie Pryor I think, while perhaps unneeded, could serve as an added weapon to the offense.

Hyde & Gardner imo, are both really good value picks with tons of potential.

Dial has potential, he's a low risk high reward kind of guy.

As far as the final selection, Steward, he could actually turn out to be a steal. Has a ton of potential as a LB both inside and out, depending on how he develops.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
If I may chime in here, this is the craziest mock I've seen yet..

Arthur Brown in the 3rd round? NOT going to happen, it's much more likely that's who the Ravens take at #32. I don't see how Chance Warmack falls clear to 32 but it's not impossible. Mathieu, I also don't think will fall that far, someone will take a chance on him much earlier imo. Toilolo would be a very good selection. Scott, I agree, he's worth a 7th round pick, could be interesting potential there. Tharold Simon could be a nice 6th round pick, definitely has potential, but I also think its possible he goes Undrafted. Yes, I realize this mock was posted in November. Overall, IF this (OP) were the outcome, the Ravens would easily have the best draft class in the NFL.

As for your "Final mock" I think that is much more realistic.

Elam would be a great pick for you guys, I hope you don't get him Razz

I do agree that Long is kinda old and I think there'll be better Tackles on the board if that's the route you guys go in the 2nd round.

Sio Moore, imo, great selection and very realistic. When it comes to Hamilton I even like him for the Steelers, the big question mark with him is his consistency, there's no question mark in his potential.

Simon is a 7th round bust imo. Seriously I don't like the pick at all, even for the Steelers and some people have mocked him to us.

Toilolo, really, he's a solid selection, I think he could turn into a monster TE.

Lonnie Pryor I think, while perhaps unneeded, could serve as an added weapon to the offense.

Hyde & Gardner imo, are both really good value picks with tons of potential.

Dial has potential, he's a low risk high reward kind of guy.

As far as the final selection, Steward, he could actually turn out to be a steal. Has a ton of potential as a LB both inside and out, depending on how he develops.

The Arthur Brown in the 3rd mock was done in early November Wink

As for the final mock, I like it. I too am not high on Long and would rather go after a guy like Stedman Bailey there instead of Hamilton later, but overall I wouldn't complain. Elam is one of three guys I think the Ravens will grab with our 1st pick.

PSA: If your 2015 mock has the Ravens taking a RB in round 1, you're doing it wrong.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

The Arthur Brown in the 3rd mock was done in early November Wink

Ik, I said that.. Would it not be at least a little funny to see the Ravens draft Eric Reid in the first round? Laughing

From one Re(e/i)d to another, lol.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: