Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Scheming Defensively/Offensively

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Scheming Defensively/Offensively Reply with quote

I realize we are all caught up in the draft right now. It truthfully is just over a couple days away. I thought it would be cool to start a thread that could really take from the minds of those of you who really know football on an X and O's scale.

So far we have picked up Cook and Long, giving our offense a multitude of new sets we can look at. What kind of elements do you see us adding? What things are you dreaming we add?

One last one, if we add who want in the draft. How do you want us to use him? And how do you expect Schotty will?

On the defensive side of the ball we are looking at a very similar set to last year. We will be having the growth of Tru and Jan J + Brockers/Quinn. And thee is no doubt our safety situation will look different. What kind of elements do you see us adding? Lets not forget we have a new DC - who I don't know much about, other than he is a secondary guy. What are you hoping our defense starts doing?

And who do you want in the draft and how do you dream our team will use them?

This could probably go into the draft thread, but I really feel if people are open about it we could get a real discussion going about who, how, and why we will use players certain ways this coming season. There is no doubt we'll have our hands full the entire season.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDL8V_Xu8us

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDL8V_Xu8us

Haha. So who do we add that makes us so fast? How do we use the guys we have?

I am really curious to get the idea of those of you who have a real football mind. What do you do with Cook to maximize his talent? How do we use Quick, Givens, Pead?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that's me saying "What?" out of confusion. Your question(s) are quite vague and confusing, having a football mind there is no specific answer. There are different things that can be done, but nothing changes. The offense is still the offense. You can gameplan and work towards your players strengths and the opposing defenses weaknesses, but you don't make plays for a player. That applies also towards your question about who we could draft and use those players. Nothing changes, they will look for players in the draft that fit with what they want to do and did last season.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
No that's me saying "What?" out of confusion. Your question(s) are quite vague and confusing, having a football mind there is no specific answer. There are different things that can be done, but nothing changes. The offense is still the offense. You can gameplan and work towards your players strengths and the opposing defenses weaknesses, but you don't make plays for a player. That applies also towards your question about who we could draft and use those players. Nothing changes, they will look for players in the draft that fit with what they want to do and did last season.

My questions may seem vague, I am sorry for that. But I find it odd that our offense wouldn't find ways to exploit the strengths of Cook. I find it odd that if we had Tavon we wouldn't have some good gameplans in place to exploit his talents.

Same for the defense. Say we add a Sheldon Richardson, how do we use him. His talent doesn't just throw him to third DT. We could look at a run down Rich, Brock, Lang, Long with Quinn, JL, JoLon. That is what I am looking at. . . How are we using these players?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Cook or Austin have playmaker abilities, but that doesn't change the offensive plays as a whole. The playbook is the same regardless who you have. Now there maybe a few trick or gadget plays developed for a player, but the playbook and concepts remain unchanged. This isn't to say plays aren't called in situations to put the players in the best position to succeed. Also as a quarterback, you develop a comfort level and trust in certain players and this may effect how a play develops, but again-- the plays themselves and the read progressions for the quarterback stay the same.

Defensively you can say the same thing. Players and the defense as a whole are put in the best position to succeed or at least in theory. If you have a secondary that is particularly good in man coverage then you will feel comfortable calling aggressive blitzes with man coverage behind it, if you have players that play better zone coverage and you can get sufficient pressure with 4 man fronts like we do then you will probably play more zone coverage behind it.

Bottom line is, the scheme is the scheme. This is why you draft players that fit your scheme because no one player will make a coach change the entire playbook. Unless its a zone read/ read-option quarterback like RG3, Kaepernick or Russell Wilson.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
FRO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see us run an uptempo spread based attack. That is the system that Bradford did so well in at Oklahoma. You see these read-option QBs getting to run schemes that fit them, let's run a scheme that really fits Sam. Also if you look at the personnel on our offense, and they fit this scheme as well. Cook is a perfect spread TE. Pead and Richardson are spread RBs. Quick, Givens, and Pettis played the spread in college as well.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRO wrote:
I want to see us run an uptempo spread based attack. That is the system that Bradford did so well in at Oklahoma. You see these read-option QBs getting to run schemes that fit them, let's run a scheme that really fits Sam. Also if you look at the personnel on our offense, and they fit this scheme as well. Cook is a perfect spread TE. Pead and Richardson are spread RBs. Quick, Givens, and Pettis played the spread in college as well.

Almost every team in the league deploys spread looks nowadays. We are no different. It has not been terribly successful for us (especially under Josh McDaniels), but that can be attributed to extremely poor o-line play.

Signing Jake Long was major.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
FRO wrote:

Almost every team in the league deploys spread looks nowadays. We are no different. It has not been terribly successful for us (especially under Josh McDaniels), but that can be attributed to extremely poor o-line play.

Im still baffled on how we got that Contract to work out in our favor
FRO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
FRO wrote:

No joke. We got the guy on the cheap, plus it's basically just a 2 year deal. He can easily be cut after the second year.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
FRO wrote:

It's amazing how many NFL front offices allow mass media to control their perception on a player. We took advantage of a favorable market.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses guys. I really don't know a ton about the X's and O's of football. I love to watch it and all of you who have a lot of knowledge help me learn daily.

I'm really excited for this upcoming year. If we are able to grab Austin our offense will have a lot of move players at skills positions. To me this is a weapon in and of itself.

Kendricks TE, Slot, FB. Austin RB, WR, Return. Cook TE, Slot, I wonder if we will see him at FB.

We have Givens who grasped the playbook well last year and can more than likely play all the positions at WR. Quick I am not sure about, I would love to see him pick things up and be a play anywhere WR. Can you imagine a double slot alignment with Cook on one side and Quick on the other - two huge guys. Although I believe that Quick's skillset is best used on the outside.
ajhicks11

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to bump this, it really feels like the topic is dead. Although I was basically told it was dead from the get go.

I have just been thinking about the idea of adding a Star or a Richardson. I know this wouldn't be consistently effective. But what would you think about a line of Richardson, Brock, Lang, Long and then bump Quinn back into space?

Quinn easily has the athletic ability to play the position effectively in limited minutes. Check him chasing down AP - tremendous speed for his size. Although this doesn't give us a huge pass rush, it could be extremely effective against the spread. Have our DL push straight forward keeping their lanes - that much weight and strength would be a lot for an OL. Then you can throw in Quinn as an edge rusher.

This seems like an absolute nightmare for offenses in situations.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: