Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39371
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to ask this here.. as I rarely go back to a mock draft thread after commenting....


49ers Finest wrote:
alex okafor wouldnt be a good pick there.
he would play olb, and i dont like his bend of flexibility enough to play there

Forge wrote:
Okafer is not a good pick for the niners. He's a reach in the first, plus he's strictly an olb in our scheme, and we already have Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks, so okafer would never see the field. Total waste


Do you feel that Okafor can not add weight and strength to his frame? Could be that he bulks up and moves inside as Justin's heir apparent. Okafor has natural strength and experience battling inside... and he weighs what Justin did coming out of the draft.
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 2643
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sources tell ProFootballTalk.com that Mississippi State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.
Slay did not miss a game last season and blazed a 4.36 forty at the combine. So it's a recent injury for a player that was projected as a second-round pick at worst. Meniscus tears aren't overly difficult to re
cover from, but they can lead to knee problems down the line. The meniscus is the part of the knee that cushions the load in the body's most fragile joint.

roto

as for okafor, I actually like him as a 3-4 end but my opinion doesn't matter to our FO Smile
_________________
Quote:

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39371
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 2643
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.


do you see him dropping oldman? if so how many rounds? 4th?
_________________
Quote:

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39371
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.


do you see him dropping oldman? if so how many rounds? 4th?


I personally wouldn't drop him that far. Not a serious injury, but it will have to make a F/O worry a little bit more over potential recurring issues. At this point, I think teams that really like him won't drop him much on their boards... if at all.
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 6470
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Wanted to ask this here.. as I rarely go back to a mock draft thread after commenting....


49ers Finest wrote:
alex okafor wouldnt be a good pick there.
he would play olb, and i dont like his bend of flexibility enough to play there

Forge wrote:
Okafer is not a good pick for the niners. He's a reach in the first, plus he's strictly an olb in our scheme, and we already have Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks, so okafer would never see the field. Total waste


Do you feel that Okafor can not add weight and strength to his frame? Could be that he bulks up and moves inside as Justin's heir apparent. Okafor has natural strength and experience battling inside... and he weighs what Justin did coming out of the draft.


My thing is that he's even light for playing down on the line right now when we are in a 4-2-5 alignment. I think he's like 260 whereas guys like tank, ziggy and Datone are all in the 275-280 range, so i don't know that right now he could contribute to the pass rush on passing downs like we would do with someone like those other three guys from an end spot. Right now, I imagine that any pass rusher we draft who is one of those hybrid type guys would be handled the same way we handled Aldon his rookie year; basically strictly on the line to rush the passer when we are in a 4 down set. I can't remember how big Aldon was when he came out, so maybe I'm wrong. As you said, Justin was that size when he came out, but he was also freakishly strong and didn't rely on speed at the line. I've never considered him inside, but rather only on the end, so that's an interesting thought.

He could definitely put on some weight to make that a more likely situation, but could he do it this year and help out right away learning to play with that new weight and down on the line? I don't know. I think we'd get minimum production out of him in the first year though. I also think that's a reach for him at the bottom of the first, which was my biggest issue with that selection in that particular mock. I wouldn't mind him at 61; not a fan at 31 though.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 2643
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Wanted to ask this here.. as I rarely go back to a mock draft thread after commenting....


49ers Finest wrote:
alex okafor wouldnt be a good pick there.
he would play olb, and i dont like his bend of flexibility enough to play there

Forge wrote:
Okafer is not a good pick for the niners. He's a reach in the first, plus he's strictly an olb in our scheme, and we already have Aldon smith and Ahmad brooks, so okafer would never see the field. Total waste


Do you feel that Okafor can not add weight and strength to his frame? Could be that he bulks up and moves inside as Justin's heir apparent. Okafor has natural strength and experience battling inside... and he weighs what Justin did coming out of the draft.


My thing is that he's even light for playing down on the line right now when we are in a 4-2-5 alignment. I think he's like 260 whereas guys like tank, ziggy and Datone are all in the 275-280 range, so i don't know that right now he could contribute to the pass rush on passing downs like we would do with someone like those other three guys from an end spot. Right now, I imagine that any pass rusher we draft who is one of those hybrid type guys would be handled the same way we handled Aldon his rookie year; basically strictly on the line to rush the passer when we are in a 4 down set. I can't remember how big Aldon was when he came out, so maybe I'm wrong. As you said, Justin was that size when he came out, but he was also freakishly strong and didn't rely on speed at the line. I've never considered him inside, but rather only on the end, so that's an interesting thought.

He could definitely put on some weight to make that a more likely situation, but could he do it this year and help out right away learning to play with that new weight and down on the line? I don't know. I think we'd get minimum production out of him in the first year though. I also think that's a reach for him at the bottom of the first, which was my biggest issue with that selection in that particular mock. I wouldn't mind him at 61; not a fan at 31 though.


TBH, I would really be surprised if a DL is picked first by us. I just think that the team will look for a S to fill this need which is our biggest need. but then again 31 and 34 are not far apart.
_________________
Quote:

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 13279
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.


maybe now he'll be a bottom of the secong round option.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 2643
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.


maybe now he'll be a bottom of the secong round option.


that I don't mind.
_________________
Quote:

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 39371
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.


maybe now he'll be a bottom of the secong round option.


that I don't mind.


Yeah, true that! Works for me. Smile
_________________

___
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers Finest


Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 8287
Location: San Jose
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever happened to the tony Jefferson love?
Lots of people on ff had him as the #1 fs. Now I barely hear anything.

His combine wasn't very good though. This weekend I heard an interview with him on the radio about the draft and the niners. He said he met with us and him asked why he didnt go to Stanford. I guess he originally committed there. He said it was a great meeting and blah blah.
Another option for us later at safety thy hasn't been mentioned much.
_________________
***WE RUN THE WEST!***
SB AT HOME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

new sig... sorry alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ersfan


Joined: 21 Apr 2007
Posts: 6250
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what grinds my gears? Going into the mock draft forum and seeing people trading up 20 slots in the 1st and using pick 34...maybe its just me, but i want to keep that pick no matter what. We could trade it for a future 1st, or trade down (then use those picks to move around), or even use it on a player that fell through the 1st round. Just seems like the opportunities are endless, and it was a rare opportunity to get that pick (how often do we have a starting QB to trade?).

Not to mention, people have us trading up for a FS...two top 35 picks on a S? Eh, i'd want a potentially disruptive front 7 player. Like Tank Carradine or Sheldon Richardson, or even Star if he falls far enough.
_________________
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 2643
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]31 49ers: CB D.J. Hayden, Houston -- Of course, there's a good chance the 49ers will trade up for a defensive lineman, such as Tank Carradine. But if they stay here, this is Trent Baalke's pick to fill a need before it becomes a huge need. Tarell Brown is in the final year of his contract, and Carlos Rogers has to have a big season or he will not return in 2014. They can address defensive line with their next pick at No. 34 (Kawann Short of Purdue?), and safety at the end of the second round.[\quote]

here is Maiocco's pick for us at 31
_________________
Quote:

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NcFinest9erFan


Joined: 10 Jan 2013
Posts: 2643
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Citing multiple sources, NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline reports the Raiders "will consider" trading down with the Lions if one of the draft's top-two left tackles is available at No. 3.
There are a lot of "ifs" here, but it'd be a trade rebuilding Oakland would love to do, and address a massive weakness in Detroit. It's logical. If the Chiefs draft Luke Joeckel and the Jaguars take Dion Jordan, the Lions would then trade up with the Raiders to select Eric Fisher. The Raiders would move down, perhaps add a third-rounder, and take their highest-rated player left at No. 5. Per Pauline, that would be either Sharrif Floyd or Star Lotulelei.

roto.

in my unfinished mock, I had this trade in it. I think it would be a win/win situation for both teams. Oakland lands extra picks and Detroit gets them a franchise LT. In this case, Oakland can still land Floyd, Star or even Lane.
_________________
Quote:

culliver wrote:
14-2.

Losses @DEN @SEA

#1 seed

Superbowl
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 22434
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
State CB Darius Slay has a torn meniscus.


Ouch... I really liked Slay as an early 2nd round option too.


do you see him dropping oldman? if so how many rounds? 4th?


I personally wouldn't drop him that far. Not a serious injury, but it will have to make a F/O worry a little bit more over potential recurring issues. At this point, I think teams that really like him won't drop him much on their boards... if at all.


Yes, not a drastic drop, but it could drop him from the middle of the 2nd to the bottom. A team who needs a starting corner right away could possibly take a look at another option and fall in love with him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group