Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CowboysTilIDie's Mock Draft Thread (Updated 4/20/13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:
I like it, but whats the mind set in going wideout in round 2? We hqve too many needs to take out a luxury BPA pick in the 2nd IMO.

Is WR truly a luxury though (in the second round no less)? Taking a corner would be a luxury. Taking a tight end that early would be a luxury.

Answer a couple of questions for me, please.

What percentage would you put on Miles Austin playing in more than 10 games?

Are you comfortable with Dwayne Harris as your #2 receiver should Miles or Dez go down?

There's a great possibility that this will be Miles' last year in a Cowboys uniform. Wouldn't you want to draft a guy in a very talented WR class to take over for him next year while also having a year under his belt?

Why reach for a lesser player just because it's a position of need when you can get one of the best WRs in the draft which can help you this year and
down the road?

Basically in your first two questions, you are basing them off picking him from a depth perspective. I could mock us a tight end in the first and ask, What if Witten gets hurt? What then? You could say that to justify absolutely every pick.

Will Austin play over 10 games? Likely not. Am I comfortable with Harris starting? Not really. But we have our slot
receiver, and you cant count on players getting injured. His role in year one would simply be too small to warrant a second round pick.

Now, no one is 100% guaranteeing Austin will be gone next season, are they? So why not wait until we actually have a vague idea of whether or not hes on the roster before we draft somebody to fill his place? Last time I checked, we have a draft next year. Granted, it might not be so loaded at WR (i have no idead TBH), but wed know if its a serious need or not then.

Just my long .02.

Witten doesn't have a significant injury history. Actually, outside of the spleen last year, he hardly has one at all. Miles has significant durability concerns.

I'm not pounding the table for us to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. Simply, trying to get people to understand that it wouldn't be that bad. Especially if he's BPA on our board. Now, outside of Tavon Austin, I'm 100% against taking a WR in the first round. And that's only if our top targets are gone (Warmack, Cooper, Richardson, etc.).

Here's another question: If Bjoern Werner is there at 18 (likely) or Tank Carradine there at 47, would you pick them?

Potentially on Werner. But honestly, I would take Carradine at 18 and not look back. I think he is a top 10 player in this draft

I guess I am missing something on Carradine. I keep hearing top 10 and top 20 sans injury, but I don't see more than a 2nd round pick. I've tried to see it. Almost willed myself to see it but I just don't. I've watched his tape over, and over, and over, and over. Guess I am just seeing him differently.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:
I like it, but whats the mind set in going wideout in round 2? We hqve too many needs to take out a luxury BPA pick in the 2nd IMO.

Is WR truly a luxury though (in the second round no less)? Taking a corner would be a luxury. Taking a tight end that early would be a luxury.

Are you comfortable with Dwayne Harris as your #2 receiver should Miles or Dez go down?

There's a great possibility that this will be Miles' last year in a Cowboys uniform. Wouldn't you want to draft a guy in a very talented WR class to take over for him next year while also having a year under his belt?

Why reach for a lesser player just because it's a position of need when you can get one of the best WRs in the draft which can help you this year and
down the road?

Basically in your first two questions, you are basing them off picking him from a depth perspective. I could mock us a tight end in the first and ask, What if Witten gets hurt? What then? You could say that to justify absolutely every pick.

Will Austin play over 10 games? Likely not. Am I comfortable with Harris starting? Not really. But we have our slot
receiver, and you cant count on players getting injured. His role in year one would simply be too small to warrant a second round pick.

Now, no one is 100% guaranteeing Austin will be gone next season, are they? So why not wait until we actually have a vague idea of whether or not hes on the roster before we draft somebody to fill his place? Last time I checked, we have a draft next year. Granted, it might not be so loaded at WR (i have no idead TBH), but wed know if its a serious need or not then.

Just my long .02.

Witten doesn't have a significant injury history. Actually, outside of the spleen last year, he hardly has one at all. Miles has significant durability concerns.

I'm not pounding the table for us to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. Simply, trying to get people to understand that it wouldn't be that bad. Especially if he's BPA on our board. Now, outside of Tavon Austin, I'm 100% against taking a WR in the first round. And that's only if our top targets are gone (Warmack, Cooper, Richardson, etc.).

Here's another question: If Bjoern Werner is there at 18 (likely) or Tank Carradine there at 47, would you pick them?

Potentially on Werner. But honestly, I would take Carradine at 18 and not look back. I think he is a top 10 player in this draft

I guess I am missing something on Carradine. I keep hearing top 10 and top 20 sans injury, but I don't see more than a 2nd round pick. I've tried to see it. Almost willed myself to see it but I just don't. I've watched his tape over, and over, and over, and over. Guess I am just seeing him differently.

Ah, the beauty of draft season! I love it, nobody will see a player the same way, and I just love that. That is fair enough, but I watch Carradine and see a player who can dominate in all facets of the game. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am right. We shall see

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point with that question was that if you are willing to take a DE in round 1 or 2, why wouldn't you take a WR in round 2 or 3? Your DE is going to contribute just as much as your #3 WR would. He'll be having to sit behind Spencer and Ware all season. Just don't see the logic of being okay with drafting DE with a high pick but not a WR.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
My point with that question was that if you are willing to take a DE in round 1 or 2, why wouldn't you take a WR in round 2 or 3? Your DE is going to contribute just as much as your #3 WR would. He'll be having to sit behind Spencer and Ware all season. Just don't see the logic of being okay with drafting DE with a high pick but not a WR.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would be perfectly fine selecting a WR in the top 3 rounds, but it has to be the best guy on the board. Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Hunter, but I like the thought quite a bit.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
TheDeathStar

Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US, Planet Earth, Solar System A, Milky Way Galaxy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:

down the road?

Just my long .02.

Alright, fair enough. Smile

I agree that it wouldnt set us back 10 years if we went WR early, but I just dont really agree with it. I have seen us going that way in lots of mock drafts. Never got it. If the WR is good talent, then Id be for it.

I agree with FM30. Carradine is a great player. If he's there at 47, you hand in his card the first second you are on the clock. Werner? Meh... potentially. Depends on who is still around.
TheDeathStar

Location: Anchorage, Alaska, US, Planet Earth, Solar System A, Milky Way Galaxy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:

Well, back into it. The DE is GOING to contribute if hes taken early. It means that Spencer is not in this for the long term. There is a high chance that he is gone after next season. Higher than Austin. And Ware was banged up last year. Whose to say this doesnt become depth issue? Plus Carradine WOULD simply be tol good value to pass up there, injured or not.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we need to be preoccupied with drafting Tank in the second... I can't imagine getting out of the first.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I answered the WR question in the other thread. It's exceedingly unlikely that you are getting a player ready to contribute immediately at WR at #47.

I kind of expect it to happen, but it's no question a luxury pick if you don't expect much contribution in year 1.

In most other years? Maybe. But, this receiver class is very strong in my mind and we would be able to get a guy at #47 that would undoubtedly be able to come in day 1 and be our set #3. Harris is a solid player and I value him as a #3 or #4 WR. What I don't value in Harris is his ability to come in and produce consistently as a #2 if Miles/Dez were to go down.

If the receiver class was a strong as you say it is, they'd be getting pushed up the board, not down. Like the offensive linemen. Your top guy is either super raw (Patterson) or has no chance to be a #1 guy (Austin).

I don't see this as a draft that bucks the trend of 2nd round receivers being incredibly mediocre rookies.

I think there is depth at the position. And I'd be happy to see which guy falls into our laps in the third or fourth. But if I'm running the draft, I'm not passing on Short, Cyprien, Reid, etc. for Justin Hunter. Though I feel like the Cowboys just might do that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
TheDeathStar wrote:

Why reach for a lesser player just because it's a position of need when you can get one of the best WRs in the draft which can help you this year and down the road?

Ok, but think about this - using YOUR logic, we could say something like, at least we have a STARTER in Miles. We don't have a starter (IMO) at RT or either Safety position (until they have proven they are healthy at least, though Johnson has NO experience). So I would have to say that drafting a BACKUP WR instead of a STARTING Safety or STARTING RT would probably count as a luxury pick. Also, using your logic again - I personally think Murray is a bigger risk to actually miss games than Miles is AND I like our backup RBs much less than I do our backup WRs, so that owuld make drafting another RB a higher priority than another WR. This of course is based almost entirely on YOUR logic too.

If we want to throw in personal opinion, I've never been a fan a drafting WRs high. If you can get one of the top couple guys (AJ and Julio, Dez and Thomas, CJ, Crab, Bowe, etc.) then do it, IF that guy is a pretty sure thing. Otherwise, most WRs take time to develop and the guy you get in the 6th is just as likely to succeed as the guy taken in the 2nd. This year, I might risk a pick on Allen and Woods, maybe, and that's it. PLUS, I really like Danny Coale and Beasley and would like to see what they can do this year, as well as get Hanna more involved in the pass game.

All in all, I would have to say your original pick of Cyprian is better than Hunter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: