Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers need a All American!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Steelers need a All American! Reply with quote

I've been doing some research just like everybody has trying to gauge what the Steelers should do with their pick.

What I came across is that players that have been selected to the All American team going all the way back to 2000. Have turned out to be average/above average to elite starters in the NFL. Not so with the QB position with only a handful amounting to anything worth while. Now there were still some QBs that did have substanial amount of PT, but just didn't pan out.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/all-america-2000-2009.html

2000-2012 The Steelers have selected 7 players from this list in that time span. With 5 players being first round selections.

Casey Hampton 2001
Troy Polamalu 2003
Heath Miller 2005
Lamarr Woodley 2007
Daniel Sepulveda 2007
Maurkice Pouncey 2010
David DeCastro 2012

Outside of DSep (even though I thought he was good) those selections where great.

Please excuse me while I live in hindsight. I'm choosing from the same position only, along with year drafted.

2002 Henry Alexander Kendall Simmons
2002 LeCharles Bentley

2000 Plaxico Burress not a All American but the better pick
2000 Troy Walters

2004 Ben Roethlisberger MAC player of the Year not All American
2004 Jason White

2006 Santonio Holmes not All American no awards
2006 Dwayne Jarrett

2007 Lawrence Timmons not All American no awards
2007 LaMarr Woodley Paul Posluszny

2008 Rashard Mendenhall Big Ten POY not All American
2008 Kevin Smith

2009 Evander Ziggy Hood no awards
2009 Terrance Cody

2011 Cameron Heyward No awards
2011 Stephen Paea

With all that being said the only questionable pick was Kendall Simmons over Bentley. Even though Bentley has faded from obscurity because of a severe knee injury. But he have most definitely been the better player.

Hood vs Cody is more about Aaron Smith injuries and filling a need. That's probably the only real time I remember the Steelers doing that. I do believe Cody probably would have been more beneficial in the long run.

So this years list of All Americans with at least a 1-2 round grade or higher. That the Steelers have a realistic chance of drafting

1. Chance Warmack - Sr
2. Jarvis Jones - rJr
3. Johnathan Cooper - rSr
4. Manti Te'o - Sr
5. DaMontre Moore - Jr

Some 2nd-later round

1. Phillip Thomas
2. Barrett Jones
3. Jordan Poyer

Jarvis Jones age, injuries and poor metrics are to much to over look.

Damontre Moore is a very intriguing prospect because he fits the Steelers parameters as far as collegiate production and age. But I believe Moore is more of a fit for a 4-3 RDE as he's way to stiff to be accountable in pass coverage.

Cooper/Warmack both could be the pick as they offer probably the safest bet out of the players listed. But while Ramon Fosters contract isn't "starter" money he's been a average/above starter.

Manti Te'o showed poorly in the 40 time which for some odd reason took some steam out of his draft stock. He posted a more respectable 40 time at his pro day. What people failed to speak on, which I believe is more important is his positional drills along with his 10 yd, 20 yd, 3 cone and shuttle drills which Te'o tested at the combine in the Top 10 of performers. I still believe some teams still have Manti Te'o with a Top 20 grade.

So I believe the Steelers if they chose from this list they'll take Manti Te'o with there #17 pick. With the Steelers track record of young Jrs or young Srs Manti Te'o fits the bill. Is he the sexiest pick, no! If the Steelers would like a low end above average player or a high end being elite player. Manti Te'o is the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye! But I find it interesting that you didn't mention one more guy; tyler Eifert. Not only an all-american but Mackey award winner. Definitely match the mold of our trend.
If we were to go with a pass rusher in 1st (and I don't think we will) i'd rather that it be Damontre Moore. May be a better fit for 4-3 like you said and yeah your right but he can play 3-4 too, like Lamarr Woodley. Guess we will wait and see for Steelers to pick a guy and we will know who it is!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Good eye! But I find it interesting that you didn't mention one more guy; tyler Eifert. Not only an all-american but Mackey award winner. Definitely match the mold of our trend.
If we were to go with a pass rusher in 1st (and I don't think we will) i'd rather that it be Damontre Moore. May be a better fit for 4-3 like you said and yeah your right but he can play 3-4 too, like Lamarr Woodley. Guess we will wait and see for Steelers to pick a guy and we will know who it is!

As well as Tyler Eifert who I mistakenly forgot.

Eifert is extreme luxury but he's realistic choice. But #17 for a TE better be a game changer.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luxury, kind of yeah but with Heath being out and at his last year of contract, we may or may not let Heath go.

Hopefully if Eifert come in, he perform so well Heath would be willingly to play for a hometown discount and we get to keep two heads-monster of TEs.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Luxury, kind of yeah but with Heath being out and at his last year of contract, we may or may not let Heath go.

Hopefully if Eifert come in, he perform so well Heath would be willingly to play for a hometown discount and we get to keep two heads-monster of TEs.

I'm definitely not against the idea, but that makes getting 2-3 more starters in later rounds that much more important

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Spaeth and David Paulson make Eifert a lot more than just a luxury. I guess I'm doom and gloom but I'm not so confident Heath returns this season in full swing, and he'll be 31. It's one thing to return from a wrecked knee as a genetically-mutated 26-year old RB.
treat88

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Matt Spaeth and David Paulson make Eifert a lot more than just a luxury. I guess I'm doom and gloom but I'm not so confident Heath returns this season in full swing, and he'll be 31. It's one thing to return from a wrecked knee as a genetically-mutated 26-year old RB.

Agreed.

I'm not so confident Heath is ever the same player again, let alone this season.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Zach Ertz was a 1st team All American and the reason I left TE off my initial list. Tyler Eifert was 2nd team and I only gauge first team All Americans.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Funny Matt Spaeth was also an all American and Mackey winner.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

Funny Matt Spaeth was also an all American and Mackey winner.

He wasn't first team though it was Chase Coffman.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be funny if we got Eifert, then we'll be first team in NFL history to have all three players that won Mackey award (Heath Miller and Matt Spaeth)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: