Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 57th pick, the Houston Texans select...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: With the 57th pick, the Houston Texans select... Reply with quote

Hi

We're voting on Houston's 2nd round pick in the Draft section - it would be great to have your thoughts and votes. The Texans selected DeAndre Hopkins with their first pick.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16094071

Cheers

GFW
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more of these things I see, the more I am convinced that S is the way to go IN THE 1st unless we're willing to part with our 3rd rounder to move up in the 2nd as the NET 1st/2nd would be superior because WR value will easily hold up to our pick in the 2nd.

If we're confident Terrence Williams or Quinton Patton will still be around in the late 2nd, I'd swing for S (Elam, Cyprien, Reid) RT (Menelik Watson) or even DT (Jesse Williams) in the 1st.

Terron Armstead was my pick in this scenario, but I don't love it and paused long and hard on Shamarko Thomas and already regret not grabbing him as it means it's Mattheiu or bust for me in the 3rd and he won't last until late 3rd with the Raiders and Bengals probably taking bong hits in their own war rooms and not afraid of Honey Bonger.

Ultimately, I'm okay w/WR in the 1st, but I really am starting to think we need to burn that 3rd to get into the top half of the 2nd for one of the top tier safeties as the pickings get pretty slim in this scenario which I actually think is reasonably accurate.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - I'd love to hear all the Barkley speculation when it came to our pick in this scenario as well. Like him or not, that would be some major value in that spot (projected #1 overall well into last season) and he would be a solid fit in our system that doesn't require a cannon which seems to be the knock on him. I think he's getting damaged by baseless Sanchez, Leinart comparisons at this point which are based on his uniform, not his talent, which would easily put him in the top 10 in most years, especially if Gabbert, Locker, Ponder were top 12 the past two years. Honestly, I do think Barkley presents a bit of a hard sell to fanbases

I also think we'd pause and think about Glennon in this spot. Don't love the idea since the only way this becomes a good pick is if Schaub tanks or gets hurt this season, and NEXT year is the year to grab a developmental QB (talent & timing of Schaub/Yates contracts), but I don't think it would be out of the question to move this year if there is a QB we view as a future starter in the late 2nd.

FWIW - I think Texans fans vastly inflate the value of Yates as trade bait as he was a poor man's Colt McCoy coming out and McCoy just netted a 5th & 7th rounder with the Browns throwing in their 6th which is practically giving him away. It would take another Schaub injury and another playoff run with Yates for him to demonstrate any value as that arm will never be viewed as a starting caliber NFL arm so he'll need to be off the charts as a "leader/game manager" but that still tops out as Matt Cassel level excitement. Again, if we're talking about Matt Barkley falling to the late 2nd because of questions about arm strength, Yates is still not much more than 4th-5th round value even with some NFL team success.

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
BTW - I'd love to hear all the Barkley speculation when it came to our pick in this scenario as well. Like him or not, that would be some major value in that spot (projected #1 overall well into last season) and he would be a solid fit in our system that doesn't require a cannon which seems to be the knock on him.

My only issue with this? Guys like Barkley - folks who dropped like a stone following an extra year of football - usually don't pan out:

- Brian Brohm
- Matt Leinart
- Brady Quinn
- Jimmy Clausen
- Jevan Snead (There was a time folks were talking him up as a top 5 selection, no joke)
- Andre Woodson (former Kentucky QB; yep, top 10 selection going into his last year, and off the map shortly afterwards)

At some point or another, each one of those guys opted to play out a final year in college, and it cost them, drastically. Moreso - they proved that it was the norm in their careers, not necessarily an exception. I see Barkley very much like the names above - backup at best, camp fodder at worst.

As far as QBs go, there isn't one I'd like at any point in the draft, save for EJ Manuel (who has all the momentum to become a top 15 selection - as high as I am on him, I'm not THAT crazy...)

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Last edited by EliteTexan80 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
amazingandre

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No qb is worth a draft pick for us. The ONLY guy I would like is Matt Scott, but even that I don't want.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're running off from a shortlist in the poll below:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=16102940
texansfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I don't think this is the year for us to go after an early QB. I would actually not be surprised if we look to move down for a team like Buffalo to move into the late first for a QB like Nassib. If we could get their 2nd and additional picks this year I would be all for it. Would give us more ammunition to move around the board for additional needs.

If we go WR in the first I could see us going secondary in the second.
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to think there are plenty of good developmental QBs we could snag. My personal favorite is Tyler Bray in the 4th or 5th.. Matt Scott, EJ Manuel, Barkley, and even Tyler Wilson could all be serious threats to Schaub under Kubiak's tutlage and in our offense.

LORK88
canyon1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Schaub in college compares to the type of QB talent in this draft... personally Dysert or even Wilson would do well in this system they know how to read a defense in a pass happy offense... think of what they could in our offense
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bray and Manuel was there somehow in round 4, I think we would consider them. We would be foolish not to. Bray has a very stronger arm than Schaub, but I think Kubiak is the right coach for him to make him not be consistent, which was his knack when he was at Tennessee. I see Jay Cutler in Bray. Manuel is perfect for our offense due to the play calling at FSU. They ran some playaction, and we all know the playaction is our bread and butter in the passing game. Not to mention he is very mobile. Those are the only QB's I like that could be had later in the draft. Heck no to Landry Jones!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
Matt Schaub in college compares to the type of QB talent in this draft... personally Dysert or even Wilson would do well in this system they know how to read a defense in a pass happy offense... think of what they could in our offense

I agree, but not as a slight to Schaub who had first round talent coming out, but had the misfortune of coming out in a year where E. Manning, Rivers, Big Ben were the sexy top end pics (following a draft where 4 went in the 1st the year before as well). People forget that Schaub was one of the most accurate passers in college history coming out with a 67% comp in a non gimmick offense (#2 all-time in 04). I think the QB desperate teams are going to end up with several JP Losman's in this weak class (perhaps even Buffalo again), while the value will be in the 3rd-4th with forgotten guys like Wilson and Dysert or overanalysis on Barkley. I would encourage you to look to past drafts to gauge your relative excitement level on a guys we generally laugh at just a few years later when they are trying to latch on as #3's (Clemens, T. Edwards, Booty, Orlovsky and don't forget 4th round "gamer" Stephen McGee who was the 5th qb off the board just 4 drafts ago is on our roster).

Let's just be clear, while not having a Flacco $100 million playoff run yet, Schaub is a proven NFL commodity, Pro Bowler, and has led the NFL in passing. You don't know what you have in a QB until you see him against real NFL talent and plenty of QBs presumed to be "elite" #1 overall candidates coming out have flopped at the next level (Gabbert, Sanchez, Russell, Quinn, Leinart, Young) better yet 2nd & 3rd rounders, so let's stop acting as if Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick are typical, rather than exceptions (remember Brohm, Clausen, P. White, Henne, Kolb, Beck, Stanton, Clemens, Tavaris Jackson?). People forget that entire drafts go by without yielding 2 quality starters at QB and I suspect this may be one of them (2006 (Cutler), 2007 (none), 2010 (Bradford) and 2 is a typical good year.

texans_uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat White lol

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Pat White lol

What is lol, is that if he came out this year, he'd probably be a trendy 1st rounder as everyone would look at 65% comp, 6,000 passing yards and 4,480 rushing yards and be proclaiming the new era of the running QB. I bet if we were to review the ff archives, plenty of posters evoked Pat White's name when LOLing Russell Wilson before last season and even a few morons who claimed White and RGIII were comparable. Hell, I'd wager a fair portion of Texan fans would be excited that we finally were getting with the times and getting ourselves a mobile QB (followed 2 years later by cries for a 6' 5" accurate passer who doesn't turn the ball over - because that's what wins).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: