Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

And now for something completely different

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DistantRam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: And now for something completely different Reply with quote

Let me preface this mock by saying that it's not what I believe will happen on Thursday. These selections are all players whom I believe represent value at their respective spots and may well be available where I've placed them. I have tried to address our main needs and I've looked for players who should be with us for years to come and become productive starters in the long run.

Obviously, how we each grade players is subjective and I'm sure that there are several of you who will disagree with my evaluations, but I've gone by hours of online college football and numerous other draft websites. I have used the trade value chart to calculate trades.

I have assumed that Chance Warmack, Sheldon Richardson and Tavon Austin are all off the board by the time we reach pick sixteen.

All comments, both positive and negative, are more than welcome.

St Louis trades pick 16 (1,000 points) to Atlanta for picks 30 (620 points) and 60 (284 points), plus a 2014 second round selection.

With Warmack, Richardson and Austin already off the board, St Louis allow Atlanta to trade up in order to grab the falling Jarvis Jones before Pittsburgh can lay their hands on him. The Falcons have already intimated that they're willing to trade up in the first round should the right player be available and they see the local defensive star as well worth the move. The Falcons get their man as they transition towards a 3-4 base defence and the Rams are more than happy to accumulate an additional second round pick both this year and next.

St Louis trades pick 22 (780 points) to Philadelphia for picks 35 (550 points) and 69 (245 points)

Minnesota still possess two first-round picks and they look like prime candidates for a trade for a quarterback-needy franchise near the top of the second round. The Rams use this to their advantage and tout their second first rounder to the highest bidder. After interest from both the Bills and Jaguars, Philadelphia makes the best offer and selects E.J. Manuel, who should fit Chip Kelly's scheme well.

With pick 30, the Rams select Robert Woods, WR, USC.

I know that this pick won't please too many people but Tavon Austin is long gone by 16 and Cordarelle Patterson has far too many doubts to be considered by the Rams, especially as we already have Brian Quick as a big, raw, project with tons of upside. Minnesota, Houston and maybe Indianapolis and/or New England are all in the markwet for a new wide receiver and will probably take Patterson, Hunter and Allen between them. That leaves us with Robert Woods as the best WR still on the board. Let's not forget that this time last year, Woods was the consensus top WR in the 2013 draft and looked a top ten lock. His 2012 season was marred by an ankle injury but he was still fairly productive and his showing at the combine showed that he was well on his way back to top form. While he may not have elite breakaway speed, Woods is arguably the best pure route runner in this draft and has the best hands in this class. He could come in as the Z receiver in our formation, opposite Brian Quick, and be a reliable target for Sam Bradford. Woods has consitently proven that he moves the chains, and then we can use the bigger, more physical, receivers like Quick and Cook in the red zone.

(Alternative selection, should Woods be off the board: Keenan Allen)

With pick 35, the Rams select Larry Warford, G, Kentucky

Although Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper have been grabbing all the headlines, there are two more elite guard prospects in the 2013 draft. Alabama's D.J. Fluker is projected by most as a right tackle but he could be a truly fantastic guard; however, he's likely to be taken in round one. Larry Warford is another great prospect for the interior of the line and fits our power man-blocking scheme far better than Cooper would; I actually have him not far behind Chance Warmack in my guard rankings. Warford made defensive tackles of the calibre of Sharrif Floyd, Sheldon Richardson and John Jenkins look pedestrian through Kentucky's 2012 campaign- Floyd and Richardson are likely to be top 15 picks on Thursday, while Jenkins won't last long on day two. Following his outstanding season, Warford looked superb on the field at the Combine and really underlined what a great pick he could be.

The danger is that the big man could put on weight but if the Rams keep him away from Ted Drewe's he should be a monster in both the running game, blasting lanes open for our running backs, and in creating a pocket for Bradford. Yes, he can only play guard and doesn't offer the positional versatility of either Kyle Long or Justin Pugh, but he is simply a better player than either of those two. Teams like Arizona, Buffalo (if they stay where they are) and San Diego could all consider Warford before our original second-round pick arrives, so we will have to take him now.

(Alternative selection: Kyle Long)

With pick 48, the Rams select Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers

It's clear that the Rams need help at linebacker and many mocks have us drafting Alec Ogletree in the first round, but there are far too many question marks over him (both on and off the field) to justify such a lofty selection. Arthur Brown would be another possibility but he, too, is likely to be gone by this stage. Khaseem Greene had a really good 2012 season, totalling 136 tackles (with an additional 12 tackles for loss), six sacks, six forced fumbles, five passes batted down and two interceptions. He is a reliable tackler with good sideline-to-sideline speed and could be a real bargain in the middle of the second round.

(Alternative pick: Sio Moore)

With pick 60, the Rams select D.J. Swearinger, SS, South Carolina

Darian Stewart is projected to start at strong safety this year but he could transition to free safety and we could add Swearinger, a more physical player, as Quintin Mikell's long-term replacement. Not only is he a hard hitter and a real playmaker, but Swearinger is also a leader on the field (captain of South Carolina's defence) and a guy who always gives 100% effort. Swearinger is an effective blitzer, quick to recognise his keys and can play the running game (which is crucial in the NFC West) as well as any safety in this class. He isn't quite so effective in the passing game, although he is still very good, but we have the cornerbacks to cover for any shortcomings in that department.

(Alternative selection: Phillip Thomas)

With pick 69, the Rams select Barrett Jones, OL, Alabama

Barrett Jones is the ultimate jack of all trades along the offensive line and could eventually replace Scott Wells as our starting centre. Were it not for injury concerns, there's little doubt that he'd be drafted much higher than this. We land ourselves a very valuable player at the top of round three.

(Alternative pick: Mario Benavides)

With pick 80, the Rams select Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

Another very polished route runner with great hands, Patton could go higher than this but his lack of elite speed keeps him in the third round. Patton makes tough catches in traffic and could excel in the slot, although he is both tall enough and fast enough to compete on the outside. Patton is tough and consistent: just what our receiving corps needs.

(Alternative selection: Stedman Bailey)

With pick 115, the Rams select Zaviar Gooden, OLB, Missouri

A very fast player with surprising toughness, Gooden is just the kind of player our thin linebacking corps needs. He dispalys excellent tackling technique and is also capable of dropping back into pass coverage. He'd be an excellent third OLB, behind Dunbar and Greene, and could even replace one of them in the longer term.

(Alternative selection: Jelani Jenkins)

With pick 151, the Rams select Sanders Commings, DB, Georgia

A player in whom the Rams are reported to have shown a lot of interest over the last couple of months, Commings has the ability to play at either cornerback or safety and could progress up the depth chart with experience.

(Alternative selection: Terry Hawthorne)

With pick 186, the Rams select Lawrence Okoye, DE

I've been following Lawrence Okoye for some time, as he comes from my home town of Croydon, in South London. I've watched him play rugby and he is some specimen (I'm glad that I'm too old to have faced him when I was playing!); the drills he recently undertook have only served to push him up draft boards, together with the subsequent hype, and I feel we'll have to draft him in the sixth round. He is intelligent and dedicated enough to learn the game and he could be a steal.

(Alternative pick: Brent Russell)

With pick 224, the Rams select Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn

A potential steal this late, Lutzenkirchen was Auburn's all-time leader in touchdown catches from a tight end and is a capable blocker, too.

(Alternative selection: Nick Kasa)
Brodie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love that draft. Give us 4 picks in the first two rounds next year. Talk about beasty

Adopt-A-Ram

Alec Ogeltree 109 combinded tackles, 1.5 sacks, 6 FF, 10 stuffs, 9 PD, 1 Int 1td.
kmklink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY S#!^ , nice work and well thought out . Iwould love that scenario , but even the picks shine... this is the best one I've seen so far. Alot of people are putting up these fantastic breams of what if's , but this would really helpthis team out now and in the future.. well done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: