Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

420 Mock?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
painsworth92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: 420 Mock? Reply with quote

Alright folks. Here's my attempt at a mock, and unfortunately, this god forsaken website would not let me put pictures of the players i have us picking. So sadly there aren't pictures. Please accept my apologies.

1) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (Assume Star and Ansah are gone)

As stated above, this pick rests on the assumption that Star and Ziggy will both have been taken by pick number 10, and, of course, that we donít trade up to get one of them. Were they available, my preference is 1) Star, 2) Ziggy, 3) Tavon Austin.
I am taking a long-term approach to this draft, not only because Austin makes sense in the short term as well (which he does) but because we have an offensive cornerstone falling into our laps with this pick. It did not matter that the Detroit Lions took Charles Rogers in 2003, Roy Williams in 2004, and Mike Williams in 2005, because they took Calvin Johnson in 2007. While Kenny Britt has the potential to be the leagueís best receiver (and was our best player before getting hurt, make no mistake) and Kendall Wright could be a great player, no one watching our offense this year could say that either of them were profound difference makers for us. Tavon Austin is almost a lock to be the Offensive Rookie of the Year from this draft. He simply made too much noise over the course of the past season that I could not ignore his 5-8 self. How many wide receivers can say theyíve had 572 all purpose yards in a game? He is, without question, the most agile football player Iíve ever watched, to go along with elite speed, acceleration, and route-running ability. Inject a wide receiver who got 572 all purpose yards in a game in college, and how much could you get from him in an NFL game? 100? 200? 300?
It doesnít matter that our current receivers have a chance to get better. If we get Tavon Austin, our offense instantly becomes much more formidable. If either Britt or Wright develops into the receivers we drafted them to be, then we have two great receivers.

Also consider: Johnathan Cooper, Chance Warmack, Bjoern Werner

2) Margus Hunt, DE, SMU

Margus Hunt is such a prolifically gifted athlete at the DE position, he only has one challenge while playing football: keeping his pad level low. Itís a legitimate challenge that he will have to work hard at. If he can do that, he will be great. Itís that simple. How many 6-8 athletes with 82-inch wingspans lift a 225 pound bar 38 times? And run a 4.60 40 yard dash? He has 19 career blocked kicks or punts. Visually, I believe his gait is not as graceful as that of similarly freakish talents like Ansah and Jordan, but Hunt could easily be better than both of them (although if Ansah fell to us at 10 Iíd take him in a heartbeat). I believe heís almost as fast as both of them, and appears to have great flexibility. Like I said with Tavon Austin, Iím looking for this draftsí profound talents. Hunt is one of them. Were he not available, I really like Corey Lemonier out of Auburn.

Also consider: Larry Warford, Desmond Trufant, Sylvester Williams, Matt Elam

3) Barrett Jones, C/OG/OT , Alabama

Jones may be sort of passť as a draft prospect because of the way we draft nerds go through phases with prospects (and Jonesí heyday is long gone as a projected 1st rounder) but Jones offers so much in my opinion. How many of the other offensive linemen in this draft could have played left tackle for Alabama for two years and be a team captain? How many of them play multiple positions along the line at a high level? I think Jones offers added value, not only as a potential center/guard and soul of our offensive line for the next 7-8 years, but also the ability to fill in at the tackle positions. I, for one, am getting concerned about the state of our longtime bookends Roos and Stewart as they get older; mainly because David Stewart broke his leg and might need some time to recover into the start of next season.

Also consider: Corey Lemonier, DaíRick Rogers, Manti Teío, Nickell Robey

3) Rontez Miles, S, California (PA)

Shout out to KingTitan for putting me onto this guy. This draft class does, in my opinion, have a lot of potentially great safeties (Iím also a fan of Elam, Shawn Williams, DJ Swearinger to name a few) and we titan fans have dreamed for years about having a dominant safety on our team. I saw the highlights of this guy and was blown away by a) his otherworldly explosion and closing burst, b) his open field speed, c) his fearless and technically proficient tacking, d) strength and apparent ballhawking ability, and e) that he played well enough at the small school level to earn numerous accolades while he was in school. Believe me, I like Shawn Williams out of Georgia a lot, for his aggression, leadership, and physical abilities. But I became sold on Miles because he appears to have the highest ceiling of any secondary prospect in this draft. Just watch the highlights if you havenít already. Amazingly gifted, and appears to show an aptitude and dedication to the game. In terms of pure ability, I think heís better than a lot of the freakish safety prospects over the years, including Taylor Mays, Robert Sands, LaRon Landry, Mark Barron, Reshad Jones, you name it. A lot of times we bite on these freakish athletes because we mistake their having started for big-time college powerhouses for competence on the field. Miles, in contrast, has actually demonstrated real football skills. The only safeties over the past decade with better ability, imo, have been Sean Taylor (RIP) and Eric Berry.

Also consider: Brian Winters, Shawn Williams, Brandon Williams, Logan Ryan, LeíVeon Bell

4) Leon McFadden, CB, San Diego State

There are a number of ways we could go with this pick. This is simply a good cover corner for a team that could definitely use another one. I personally like Coty Sensabaugh, but McFadden offers too much value, simply because of his adequate size, good speed, hustle, ability to shadow receivers, and has shown over the years to make plays on the ball. I like him or Sensabaugh having a chance to either replace Verner at the number 2 or at least be good nickelbacks. However, if Dallas Thomas is still available (first round talent with versatility, but a horribly timed injury in the draft process), and we havenít added offensive line help, or if we like defensive tackles like Montori Hughes, we could easily go in another direction.

Also consider: Dallas Thomas, Montori Hughes, Khaled Holmes

5) Jelani Jenkins, OLB, Florida

This is, without a doubt, the most athletically gifted 4-3 outside linebacker I have ever seen. Forget Zach Brown (not as a player, but in terms of physical gifts). Brown may have had a faster 40 time and be 2 inches taller, but I have never seen a linebacker as explosive, blindingly fast, and fluid/agile athlete than Jelani Jenkins. Alec Ogletree might just come in second. Even better? The dude is aggressive, and unlike Brown (who admittedly showed much more than I thought he was going to) showed a nose for the ball and overall good football instincts, and tackles with great form and does not shy away from contact. He can also cover better than probably any linebacker in the draft. These are the things with Brown that concerned me. Jelani Jenkins has first round talent but had a string of random injuries at Florida. The downside? Heís not the biggest or longest linebacker (6-0). He appears to have a great build, Florida having listed him at 243 pounds (which, if you recall, Keith Bulluckís playing weight was 235). So overall, Iím not too concerned about his size. He hasnít shown to be a tackling machine in the mould of Lavonte David, but as a fifth round pick, Iím confident weíd be getting, at worst, a special teams demon and potentially a Pro Bowl linebacker if Brown/Ayers do not pan out (although both of them seem to be headed in the right direction, in their defense). Please do not think I am exaggerating when I say ďhall of fame tools.Ē The physical tools and the tape look good; his numbers on the field, however, are pedestrian. This, along with a number of injuries, a lack of hype, and being surrounded by talent on the Florida defense, is why he falls.

Also consider: Montori Hughes, Quanterus Smith, Tank Carradine, Brandon Jenkins

6) Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska

I saw him play in a late-season game and Iím convinced he is maybe the third best RB in the draft behind Lacy and LeíVeon Bell (you can bet I was tempted to put LeíVeon Bell in round four. I donít care if Shonn Greene is competent, because he is, but Bell is special). All he lacks is elite speed, but most running backs in this draft do as well. Not sure why he hasnít been more hyped. Burst, strength, and tackle breaking ability all stand out to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klWMlw6WVqs

Also consider: Knile Davis, Malliciah Goodman

7) Mychal Rivera, TE, Tennessee

Someone on this forum, I forget who at the moment, mocked Rivera to us in the seventh round and I happened to watch some highlights of him. Shout out to that user. Because I think Rivera has a chance to bolster our TE depth significantly. He does everything well. The key word is enough. Heís big enough, fast enough, runs routes well enough, catches well enough. I see him and think a poor manís Aaron Hernandez. Walker, Stevens, and Rivera sound like a pretty solid group, if Taylor Thompson never pans out.

Also consider: Levine Toilolo, Kapron Lewis-Moore

7) AJ Klein, LB, Iowa State

Iíve seen mocks where this guy goes in the fourth round and mocks where he goes in the seventh round. The way I see it, someoneís gotta fall, but it might not be Klein. Personally, I think weíd be extremely lucky to get him here. If he doesnít supplant McCarthy, heíll be a great backup. If folks like Quanterus Smith or Malliciah Goodman were to fall, they could easily be the pick too.

Conclusion: I should start by addressing my overall approach to doing this. Despite having plenty of players on the roster that have a chance to develop into something special, I think it is no great revelation to say that this is a franchise in need of a severe talent upgrade. While it is hopelessly naÔve for an amateur football fan to go through each round and expect every player to be a Pro Bowler (which I think is what most of us on the titans forum do to some extent) I think my approach, for better or worse, sort of resembled this (although this doesnít mean I think Mychal Rivera is a pro bowl TE waiting to happen). I look at it this way, especially with our early round picks: pick the player with the best chance of being a home run. If 2 or 3 of those picks turn out that way, than this automatically makes this a draft for the ages.

Despite the fact that I would be genuinely excited about all of these picks, were this draft to happen somehow, there would still be several weaknesses. As a Titans fan, I think we as a fanbase generally have a lot of Haynesworth nostalgia, and rightfully so. Mostly because of Haynesworth, I truly think a dominant DT is more important than any other player on a defense. In order to get where we as a team want to be, we have to add a stud at the DT position. This draft would do nothing to get us back to that dominant interior d-line stage. I think, simply, the talent does not seem to be there. There is talent at the DT position in this draft, to be sure, but context matters. If Kawaan Short or Sylvester Williams are available in the second, is their potential contribution to the team outweigh that of an otherworldly talent like Margus Hunt? My vote says no. In other words, there are players at the DT position worth drafting, but none at the places that they are available, relative to the potentially gamebreaking talents we could get at other positions. The only exception to this rule is Star. He is truly a phenomenal player, and thereís no one in the draft I want more than him. Iíd take him over Ansah, Tavon Austin, Cooper, Warmack, you name it. I donít think heíll be available at number 10, however, and Iím not sure Iím willing to trade up to get him. It is my belief that not all the players we need (for a team in need of a severe talent upgrade) are available in one draft. Star is the only player who, in my estimation, addresses our interior d-line, and if we canít get him, we canít waste another pick trying to get someone who wonít be much of an upgrade over Casey, Klug, and now Sammie Lee Hill. I personally feel Sharrif Floyd is not the same imposing presence as Star is, and I feel that Sheldon Richardson, while a very unique talent, might struggle in the NFL for largely the same reason. Richardson, I admit, has phenomenal feet. I have never seen a DT that chases down ballcarriers from behind like Richardson does. I just donít think thatís what makes a DT successful in the NFL. Star or bust for me.

Another weakness of this draft, in my opinion, is that, given our uncertainty about our no. 2 corner (Verner is decent, but we could be even stronger with a better number 2 and moving Verner back to the slot) this draft does not give us a starting cornerback that we can be certain about. I personally feel that this need, however, is less pressing than many of our other needs, including even WR. I also feel that this class of corners is not all that strong. Milliner would be great to have, sure, as would Rhodes and jonathan banks, but I donít think they would offer the same kind of value added to our team as tavon Austin or margus hunt. I do think, however, that of the midround corners available to us, Leon McFadden is perhaps the best cover corner. He might not have Wredi-Wilson or Webbís measurables, but he has the best chance to be a starter or a nickel for us.

Alright, I guess thatís all I need to say. Thoughts? Let me know what you think.
titans0021

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, it's pretty easy to post pictures. You just have to take the url (generally ends with either .jpg or .jpeg) and put [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end.

For instance:

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin.jpg

turns into

Code:
[img]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin.jpg[/img]

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 3 receptions, 63 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of this mock to be honest. I like the back half from McFadden on but that's really it. Don't want anything to do with a WR at 10 especially one like Austin. Also don't want nothing to do with Hunt at all. He's a project and the team really can't afford to waste a pick on a 26 year old project. He has all the measurables and athleticism you could ask for but that's really all he has. He wasn't impressive against pretty horrible talent in which he should've been dominating. The Jones pick is solid but I'm kind of turned off due to the injury plus I don't like his fit as a OG. I like Miles but I think that's a pretty big reach especially when I'm sure there's better safeties on the board.
painsworth92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
For whatever it's worth, it's pretty easy to post pictures. You just have to take the url (generally ends with either .jpg or .jpeg) and put [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end.

For instance:

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin.jpg

turns into

Code:
[img]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/austin.jpg[/img]

I have used images before on this forum successfully using the normal format; i know all about how simple it is to format pictures in here. for some reason it just wasn't working for me. If I had a single piece of formatting (img, url, bold, etc) it would just give me a completely blank post. So hopefully this is just some fluke.
I appreciate you trying to help though. thx
titans0021

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

painsworth92 wrote:

I have used images before on this forum successfully using the normal format; i know all about how simple it is to format pictures in here. for some reason it just wasn't working for me. If I had a single piece of formatting (img, url, bold, etc) it would just give me a completely blank post. So hopefully this is just some fluke.
I appreciate you trying to help though. thx
Makes sense, my only guess then is that you somehow checked the "Disable BBCode in this post" option right underneath where you type the text, as that is what has caused that problem for me in the past.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 3 receptions, 63 yards, 0 touchdowns
2. Brian Schwenke, C.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: