Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What the Saints “should do” on draft day:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: What the Saints “should do” on draft day: Reply with quote

Can you remember a draft where the Saints needs were so spread out as well as the likely talent available, where you could basically flip a coin to predict not only who might be the their pick but also which position he would play?

I can’t…

This draft to me is like a perfect gumbo. It’s mostly a blend of a bunch of good flavors, sprinkled with a few excellent ones to bring it all together. The Saints need to make sure that when their bowl is served, they drag that spoon deep down at the bottom of the pot to get the good stuff the people before then missed out on. (Any of ya’ll who cook their own gumbo know what I’m talking about!)

Round 1, Pick 15
Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

When the Saints go on the clock with the 15th pick and Jones is still sitting there for the taking, they should run to the podium laughing and pointing fingers at all the teams that picked ahead of them and thank the football gods for the blessings that has been bestowed on our franchise!

There comes a point when you have to move past what a guy can’t do and focus on what he can do. Jarvis Jones dominated in the best college football conference in America for two years. The Saints have been praying for a big time pass rusher since the days of the Dome Patrol passed by. Yes, Jones didn’t run well in shorts and tights… go throw in the game tape of him dominating Florida and tell me he’s not fast. Sure, he didn’t lift well… Go watch him blow pass DJ Fluker with a bull rip combo and tell me he doesn’t have the power to make it in the NFL on the edge. The bottom line is, I could give a rats you know what about what he did at his Georgia proday. You wanna know what I care about when it comes to Jarvis Jones?

156 tackles
44 tackles for loss
28 sacks
5 forced fumbles
1 interception

All in two years in the best football conference college football has to offer. Jarvis proved he wasn’t an elite athlete at his proday, I’ll give you that but over the last two seasons he’s proven he’s an elite pass rusher and football player on the football field and that’s all that should matter… especially to the New Orleans Saints because if there is one thing they need more than an elite pass rusher, it’s an elite pass rusher with a major chip on his shoulder!

Round 3, Pick 75
Shawn Williams SS Georgia

Right back to the well! The safety position in this class is extremely deep with very good solid players and on a team littered with elite defensive talent, it was Williams who was the glue and the leader that kept it all together. A Bernard Pollard clone, Williams is a big physical intimidating in the box safety with better than average coverage skills who was often overlooked on a stacked Georgia defense. Understanding that Roman Harper is on a contract that cannot be traded due to the cap figure and guaranteed money he’s owed, combined with his age and declining play… Williams would provide the perfect replacement at SS in 2013 and allow Harper to be utilized more as a situational defender and Blitzer which is what he excels at.

Round 4, Pick 106 (Acquired from Jets for Chris Ivory)
Nico Johnson ILB Alabama

Picking up the trend here… Tough, physical battle tested defenders with 34 experience and the ability to contribute early. Johnson is a force inside and is a much better athlete than most give him credit for. David Hawthorne could possibly be traded during the draft and Jonathan Vilma does not have a future past this season in New Orleans. Johnson gives the Saints another thumper inside next to Lofton with size, physicality and instincts to greatly improve our awful run defense.

Round 4, Pick 109
Montori Hughes DT Tennessee-Martin

When the Saints drafted Akiem Hicks in the 3rd round last year, I truly believe they struck gold. Yes he came from a little know college in Canada but Hicks was supposed to play out his collegian career at LSU and if he had he likely wouldn’t have been such a late selection. Here the Saints should follow the same path again. Hughes was on his way to a dominate career at Tennessee before character and off the field problems caused him to be dropped from the team. Since then he’s gotten back on the right track and like Hicks now hails from a small school college but offers the same unique size and skill set. Throwing this talented beast into the mix upfront would pay major dividends down the road, just like I believe were about to witness with Hicks this season.

Round 5, Pick 144
Chris Faulk OT Louisiana State

Faulk does not possess the body type of what is the norm of today’s NFL left tackle but the same was said about William Roaf. What Faulk does possess is surprising quick feet for his size and the ability to mirror athletic defenders. Had Faulk not suffered a season ending injury this past year, it’s highly likely that he would have heard his name called much sooner than this on draft day making this a value selection at a position of need and should continue the Saints trend of late draft day steals along their offensive line.

Round 6, Pick 183
Sanders Commings CB/FS Georgia

Why not another? Commings has the size and physicality to develop into a special press corner but his value as a late round pick lies in his versatility. Commings has played every position in the defensive secondary for the Bulldogs during his time in Athens and would provide quality depth across the board in Rob Ryan’s defense on the back end.

Sure, I’ve been throwing out names and possibilities at every position leading up to now but at the end of the day, I agree with all of ya’ll. This team needs to concentrate on defense and what they need are physical, emotional leaders with 34 experience that are battle tested and have the ability to contribute early in their career. We should focus on college production and not fall in love with potential that needs 3 years to develop. We have a hall of fame quarterback with about 4-5 years left… lets provide him with help instead of players that won’t be relevant until long after his prime has passed.

That’s what I feel the Saints “should do”, but will they… we’ll find out soon enough.

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Porter22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good draft. Two things I might change. Right now I could see us getting 3rd round value for Ivory, not a 4th rounder and I can't see us not drafting one single playmaker on offense. Sure I'd love to go pure defense (except a OT maybe), but Payton always gets his new toy!

QB Drew Brees - 1,203 YDs ; 7 TD ; 3 INT ; 71.4% Pct

DB Patrick Robinson - 12 Tackles, 3 PDefs, 1 INT
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True but remember... Toon was drafted last season knowing foot surgery was a possibility. Payton has yet to have a chance to work with him but Vitt mentioned after the selection of Toon that Sean was very high on him and that was why they went with him in the 4th round. This combined with the emerging Morgan... I feel Sean may already have his new toys to work with.

I expect big things from Toon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great draft. Only thing I might want different is Nico Johnson. I feel like we could get better value at ILB in the 4th. He could probably be picked in the 5th or 6th. Other than that it's a great draft.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no way in hell that Chris Faulk falls to round 5. I'll be happy if the Saints get him in the 3rd honestly.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Faulk will go in the late 3rd- early 4th. Take him with the Jets pick we will most likely get for Ivory.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
thesolution

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Jones pick but I would rather trade back and get more picks.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
Raves

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion...

With Travon Austin falling to the New Orleans Saints pick, even with Jarvis Jones available, the Saints trade the #15 pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the #31 and #34 picks.

Chris Ivory is dealt to the New York Jets for a 4th and 7th round picks.

#31-John Hankins, NT/DE Ohio State
#34-Jamie Collins, OLB Southern Mississippi
3rd-Bacarri Rambo, S Georgia
4a-Jon Bostic, ILB Florida
4b-Reid Fragel, OT Ohio State
5th-Micah Hyde, CB Iowa
6th-Jake Stoneburner, TE Ohio State
7th-Tarvarres King, WR Georgia

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
My opinion...

With Travon Austin falling to the New Orleans Saints pick, even with Jarvis Jones available, the Saints trade the #15 pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the #31 and #34 picks.

Chris Ivory is dealt to the New York Jets for a 4th and 7th round picks.

If we got all those picks I'd be estatic. Though, I would prefer JJ. As the top end talent falls off after 15-18

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: